• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Dashcam capture. Passed this guy on the highway the other day. Kind of redneck around here, so not seeing too many Lightnings, but there is the odd one :)

Ford F-150 Lightning Pics of Lightning Trucks Doing Truck Things. Post Yours! 📸 IMG_7249

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Dashcam capture. Passed this guy on the highway the other day. Kind of redneck around here, so not seeing too many Lightnings, but there is the odd one :)

IMG_7249.jpg
It's great to see another Lightning on the road. Thanks for sharing, John!

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
1000010379.jpg

The lightning had to do the stereotypical truck thing and stop at a gas station (ugh), but it was only up fill the tractor with diesel.
What’s going on with the solar panel? Do you know what your highway range hit is? Looks great!

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
Hauling lumber for a remodel with a hitch mount bed extender.

Ford F-150 Lightning Pics of Lightning Trucks Doing Truck Things. Post Yours! 📸 IMG_4507

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
What’s going on with the solar panel? Do you know what your highway range hit is? Looks great!
There's no measurable highway range hit. It's below the roof line and between the door lines, so it really doesn't contribute to drag (just like the tonneau cover doesn't have a measurable impact on efficiency). And the weight is negligible.

I use the panels to charge an accessory battery and power a fridge when we camp. I know I could run the fridge off the truck, but there are a number of reasons not to, mostly to do with not wanting to keep the truck turned on. At some point I'll add a few more panels and will use the accessory battery to give a few hours of L1 charging to the truck when we camp for longer periods of time. This'll give me up to about 30 miles more range over a few days. Since we boondock a lot, that gets me just a bit farther away or gives me a few short adventure trips while camped.

Reactions: dww

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
There's no measurable highway range hit. It's below the roof line and between the door lines, so it really doesn't contribute to drag (just like the tonneau cover doesn't have a measurable impact on efficiency). And the weight is negligible.

I use the panels to charge an accessory battery and power a fridge when we camp. I know I could run the fridge off the truck, but there are a number of reasons not to, mostly to do with not wanting to keep the truck turned on. At some point I'll add a few more panels and will use the accessory battery to give a few hours of L1 charging to the truck when we camp for longer periods of time. This'll give me up to about 30 miles more range over a few days. Since we boondock a lot, that gets me just a bit farther away or gives me a few short adventure trips while camped.
👌 Where did you mount the accessory battery? LiFePo4? 100ah 12v?

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
👌 Where did you mount the accessory battery? LiFePo4? 100ah 12v?
It's in the bed of the truck when we camp. Unfortunately it's not really mounted right now. Still evaluating the best place for it.

It's 12V, 120 Ah from Battery EVO (I don't think they make this particular option any more).
I have an old 40A solar charge controller in a small custom box in the bed alongside the battery. The fridge runs on 12V DC or 120V AC, so I don't need an inverter for the fridge.

Eventually I'd like to set it up so that I have an inverter/charge controller under/behind the rear seat and there's a semi-permanent mount for the battery in the bed or...somewhere. Too many projects right now to prioritize this one.

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
Cool work truck. That's a long lumber
The bed extender makes the support out at 10 feet. Most of the beams were 12 but one was 16 feet. I had an orange flag on the end when I was on the road. Also 6 tie downs Crossing the lumber in the bed and tied to the bed extender as well. It was fine for the ten miles from the lumber yard to the job site. All back roads

MattXD

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
The bed extender makes the support out at 10 feet. Most of the beams were 12 but one was 16 feet. I had an orange flag on the end when I was on the road. Also 6 tie downs Crossing the lumber in the bed and tied to the bed extender as well. It was fine for the ten miles from the lumber yard to the job site. All back roads
The extender looks very sturdy.
Sponsored