Sponsored

FORScan with Apple Silicon Mac, VMWare/Parallels, OBDLink MX+ & USB Bluetooth Dongle

ktn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning® LARIAT ER
Finally had some time to test this out and I didn't see a guide for this so I figured I'd write one up. I was going to buy a cheap Windows laptop but I figured I should try with a Mac I already had before that. I won't go into details on the Windows install but you can Google/YouTube for that. And yes, it does work. I read a lot of posts saying it's not possible but I have successfully changed many modules over the past week with this method and have had no issues of it disconnecting. Other virtualization software should work as long as you can mount USB devices but I've only tested with Parallels and VMWare.

What's needed:
Useful links I used:
Setup Steps:
  1. Download/Install VMWare or other virtualization software
  2. Create/Setup Windows VM (choose get VM from Microsoft)
    1. Plug-in USB dongle
      1. Setup to mount in VM
    2. Disable Bluetooth sharing from Mac to VM (Parallels only - may not be required)
  3. Install OBDWiz
  4. Install FORScan
    1. Register License
    2. Setup in"Safe Emulation" mode
    3. Setup to use Bluetooth/Auto-Connect
Running FORScan:
  1. Open OBDWiz and scan for OBDLink / Refresh / Connect
  2. Press button to pair with VM (disable bluetooth on other devices that were previously setup with OBDLink so it doesn't auto-connect
    1. Windows will ask to pair
    2. OBDWiz will ask you to register (you don't need to do this but leave window open)
  3. Open FORScan
    1. OBDLink should connect, if it doesn't manual try to connect.
      1. This can be finicky, try the following troubleshooting steps:
        1. Open/Close ODBWiz & Connect/Reconnect
        2. Open/Close FORScan after it's been paired / Connected in OBDWiz
  4. Disconnect/Reconnect OBDLink from vehicle
  5. After it's connected and load in FORScan it should continue to connect as expected
Other Notes/Tips:

FORScan does not support ARM Windows so you need to run FORScan in ARM "safe emulation" mode.

Ford F-150 Lightning FORScan with Apple Silicon Mac, VMWare/Parallels, OBDLink MX+ & USB Bluetooth Dongle 1727922465976-cy

VMWare Tools
If using VMWare, you can Install VMWare Tools for more options like better resolution support and copy/paste between host/guest.

Auto-connect USB Dongle to VM - Parallels
Ford F-150 Lightning FORScan with Apple Silicon Mac, VMWare/Parallels, OBDLink MX+ & USB Bluetooth Dongle 1727922479065-mi

Auto-connect USB Dongle to VM - VMWare

Ford F-150 Lightning FORScan with Apple Silicon Mac, VMWare/Parallels, OBDLink MX+ & USB Bluetooth Dongle 1727922484254-yv
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Thanks for the good and detailed documentation!

I wonder if anyone has tried almost the same setup using Oracle's VirtualBox®? It works well for Linux hosts and Windows™ guests, at least, and the price is right.

I've been using FORscan under Wine on an old (2014 era) Chromebook running Linux. Only for reading, though; not quite willing to trust it to modify anything.

OP
OP
ktn

ktn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning® LARIAT ER
Thanks for the good and detailed documentation!

I wonder if anyone has tried almost the same setup using Oracle's VirtualBox®? It works well for Linux hosts and Windows™ guests, at least, and the price is right.

I've been using FORscan under Wine on an old (2014 era) Chromebook running Linux. Only for reading, though; not quite willing to trust it to modify anything.
Yes, in theory it should work: https://osxdaily.com/2022/07/02/how-to-connect-usb-devices-to-macos-virtualbox-vm/

Someone should test it out 🙂
Sponsored