Sponsored

What I learned in First Two Months of EV Ownership

CD4TNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER
The guy explained everything that is needed in a clear concise manner. Saving this to share later. That's a great article. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

BobKenyon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully a Lightning
The guy explained everything that is needed in a clear concise manner. Saving this to share later. That's a great article. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! As an educator for 40 years, hopefully I learned how to explain things clearly.. ;-)

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Nicely done.

If i can make a few comments.

Might be worth breaking down that J1772 is the L2 version of CSS, and that NACS can be L3 or L2. Also that NACS requires an adapter.

You mention fast chargers, frequently called DCFC, have various speed ratings but that doesn't mean your vehicle will charge at that speed. This is dependent upon the vehicle and the lightning charges at 150kw even if connected to a 350kw charger. Worse, a Bolt charges at 50kw, even if it's connected to a 350kw. Picking the appropriate one, if available, leaves the faster ones open for cars that can charge that fast. This is an issue across all chargers with Bolts grabbing 350kw chargers because they think it is faster (it isnt).

Also, you mention apps. If you have not used A Better Route Planner you should. It is a one-stop charger planning app and makes a HUGE difference.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BobKenyon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully a Lightning
Nicely done.

If i can make a few comments.

Might be worth breaking down that J1772 is the L2 version of CSS, and that NACS can be L3 or L2. Also that NACS requires an adapter.

You mention fast chargers, frequently called DCFC, have various speed ratings but that doesn't mean your vehicle will charge at that speed. This is dependent upon the vehicle and the lightning charges at 150kw even if connected to a 350kw charger. Worse, a Bolt charges at 50kw, even if it's connected to a 350kw. Picking the appropriate one, if available, leaves the faster ones open for cars that can charge that fast. This is an issue across all chargers with Bolts grabbing 350kw chargers because they think it is faster (it isnt).

Also, you mention apps. If you have not used A Better Route Planner you should. It is a one-stop charger planning app and makes a HUGE difference.
YES this app is the bomb!

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Excellent article!

My pedantic nitpick: there's no such thing as "Level 3" or L3, despite the overwhelming use of the term. DC fast charging actually has two levels, but almost no one refers to them as L1 is below 40 kW.

There are two levels of AC charging for the voltage level. L1 is for a 110-120 volt supply, almost always limited to 80% of a 15 amp circuit (regardless of the circuit it is connected to), or about 1.1-1.4 kW.

L2 is for a 208-240 volt supply at a wide range of currents providing an equally wide range of power up to 19 kW. Keep in mind that for AC charging, the actual charger is on the vehicle and the practical upper limit is only about 11.2 kW. 2022 and 2023 ER Lightnings have TWO chargers on board, so they can charge at about 19.2 kW.

Public L2 chargers typically won't supply more than 7.2 kW if powered by 240 volts or 6.2 kW if powered by 208 volts. I've seen the occasional public charger that provides 9 kW, which is good to watch for if their fee is time-based. Also good to be aware of is that many public L2 chargers come in pairs that share a supply, so that 7 kW you can get at times may only be 3.5 kW (or worse) if another vehicle is plugged into the unit on the same post. They still charge both vehicles the same per-minute fee.
Sponsored