21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Transmission fluid is oil.

There are heat transfer modules in each motor that interface but do not mix the oil and glycol coolant.
I understand that seal is what failed in my 1st Mach E front motor. When they took off the orange multi=pin high voltage connector, stuff was oozing out from in between all the connector pins. Of course, all the car's warning systems computers went crazy, i.e. STOP SAFELY NOW etc. etc. Too bad I was deep in the mountains of Western Maryland late at night when it happened.
Sponsored

seththegr8

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
IT Professional
To avoid warranty issues should they arise, just had my 10k service on my 23 Lariat last week. I had nearly the opposite experience. While the first rep at the counter had to ask another what they do for an EV service when I asked how long it would take, the second rep immediately knew "tire rotation, coolant check, inspection". They had a window looking into the service area. Watched the guy rotate the tires, top off the coolant (I noticed it was a bit low the day I got it, but it never changed. Assumed it burped a bit), measured the brake pads and tire tread, filled the wiper fluid, checked the LV battery, and wiped up everywhere he was working when done. Was there for 40min. No charge, free wash, with no maintenance plan. Was very happy with the process. Guess it very much depends on the dealer, which is unfortunate.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
FYI - info from my Mach E days, there actually is oil / fluid to change, in the electric motors. The recommended interval is AFAIR something like 140 thousand miles. No harm in changing that fluid early, say 100 thousand miles, but of course our Lightnings all have a good ways to go for this service item.
Yeah I actually did this already around 11K, just as a precaution to remove break-in wear particles from the fluid, now I'm confident I can go to 100K before needing another fluid flush.

The twist on filters are also easily purchased at the dealer. Expensive for what they are, though.
Sponsored