• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone but me want ability to leave the hotspot on for a couple hours?

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
I don’t know if anyone else is doing this out there. But I have pretty much made my own sentry mode with Garmin dash cams. The problem is, I have to leave the vehicle on for this to work. I really wish we could get an OTA to leave the wifi on while the vehicle is off. It’s just driving me nuts the vehicle can’t charge the 12V from the HVB when it’s not “running”. We could have so many more opportunities to do cool stuff. Maybe now they are leaving the ProPower on, we can look at leaving the wifi on too… hint hint…
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shawnson

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
Only problem with aftermarket is then I still have to power it, unless I’m using a mobile device, and then I have cables everywhere. And STILL I need them to push the OTA for Onboard power while the vehicle is off.

OP
OP
Shawnson

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
Well clearly I’m stupid. Where does one find a hotspot to connect directly to the battery? (But Ford, you should still do this natively so I don’t have to buy stuff, we like free OTAs)

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
Only problem with aftermarket is then I still have to power it, unless I’m using a mobile device, and then I have cables everywhere. And STILL I need them to push the OTA for Onboard power while the vehicle is off.
This is super simple. Use a dashcam power tap cable like the one below for dashcams. It will constantly power a USB-C device for up to 24 hours after you turn your vehicle off AND has built in low-battery protection where it will shut itself off before your battery gets too low.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZYPW2JW?smid=AO58CQ7QYY7PT&th=1

(There's a discount right now that makes it only $11.33.)

Install this in minutes in the passenger side fuse box as EVERYTHING you need is included, even the Add-A-Fuse taps and a puller for those stupid super-tiny little fuses.

Then choose your favorite carrier and plan for a hotspot. (AT&T sucks IMHO, but YMMV.)

Plug it in and TA-DA!

Cheaper and it does EXACTLY what you want it to with no OTA update or risk coming back to a dead truck.

Sponsored

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
Get a. UPS??
You know, that's not a bad idea. A $50 UPS plugged into the ProPower in the frunk would be a perfect solution that would never drain the LVB and in case there was different issue with the LVB going low you could use it like a booster pack to supply 12V to get the truck booted up.

OP
OP
Shawnson

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
You know, that's not a bad idea. A $50 UPS plugged into the ProPower in the frunk would be a perfect solution that would never drain the LVB and in case there was different issue with the LVB going low you could use it like a booster pack to supply 12V to get the truck booted up.
It’s like adding in a PowerWall to your Mega Power Frunk 😂