• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Camping/tenting off grid with the F-150 Lightning

Corkei99

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 sport
Occupation
Warehouse manager
I have a reservation for the lightning …. As we sit here and discuss if this truck will work for us or not this question has come up. We live in British Columbia and we currently have a 2018 F150 sport and we disappear into the backroads of BC and tent for 2-3 days at a time. We could end up 50-100 miles from a charge. Is this going to be an issue? Do I bring a generator or solar set up ? I know that I will have to fully charge before embarking ……. But does anyone think this could be a concern.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I have a reservation for the lightning …. As we sit here and discuss if this truck will work for us or not this question has come up. We live in British Columbia and we currently have a 2018 F150 sport and we disappear into the backroads of BC and tent for 2-3 days at a time. We could end up 50-100 miles from a charge. Is this going to be an issue? Do I bring a generator or solar set up ? I know that I will have to fully charge before embarking ……. But does anyone think this could be a concern.
I would be concerned.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I wouldn't be going too far off grid without at least a 6000 watt generator and some gas cans. but there goes half your bed. I'd probably wait for a 500 mile truck.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I wouldn’t take first generation EV truck technology into the sticks let alone with range anxiety unless I had satellite comms and a way to be rescued handy.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I'd buy the Powerboost Hybrid instead and bring a couple gas cans for backup. If you run the truck out of gas by mistake you can use the cans to get out, if you used the can too you might be able to hike out or get a ride to a gas station to fill a gas can. You can't get emergency electrons in a can to recharge an EV.

Sponsored

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
I have a Model X. It took a few months for me to learn my range limits based on my driving style. The most significant adjustment you will have to make is actively planing recharges for off grid / charges ( there are still non off grid places I go where charges are not available).

The internal computer will aid you because it will calculate the stops you need to make for a round trip.

I see no reason why you can not go 100 miles away from a charger after a full charge and be able to return to the same charger.

I expect real world range for extended range will be in high 200 miles.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
For that application, you should get the F150 Hybrid.

Getting 100 miles into the woods means 100 miles out, that's near full charge which you won't be after driving 100 miles. A bridge too far for the F150EV.

You could take gasoline and a generator but that's what the hybrid is.

OP
OP

Corkei99

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 sport
Occupation
Warehouse manager
I wouldn't be going too far off grid without at least a 6000 watt generator and some gas cans. but there goes half your bed. I'd probably wait for a 500 mile truck.

OP
OP

Corkei99

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 sport
Occupation
Warehouse manager
Thank you, I appreciate the info

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Do you actually mean 50-100miles (80-160km) or 50-100km as it would make a big difference. Dont hear too many of us Canadians using miles as distance ?. If it was km, it wouldn't be an issue as the range on ER is 480km.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Do you actually mean 50-100miles (80-160km) or 50-100km as it would make a big difference. Dont hear too many of us Canadians using miles as distance ?. If it was km, it wouldn't be an issue as the range on ER is 480km.
OP didn't even say if they are pulling a camper.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
This is why current EV limitations and infrastructure makes me weary of getting one… too much thought has to be put into how I should drive, where can I go, how cargo affects range. Nahhhh just go PB for now. 200 mile range EV is really intended for commute to and from work, with only the weight of the driver and maybe a passenger during lunch break lol
Sponsored