First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
I charge from 1 AM to 6 AM to save money. This morning I had a charge fault message on my Ford app for the first time (at home). The truck was set to charge to 90% but stopped at 85%. The truck runs fine this morning. My guess is there was some sort of "blip" in the electrical grid that caused the charge fault. Does that make sense and is there anything I should check out?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The first thing to do is try again. If it does it again, then you investigate further.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I charge from 1 AM to 6 AM to save money. This morning I had a charge fault message on my Ford app for the first time (at home). The truck was set to charge to 90% but stopped at 85%. The truck runs fine this morning. My guess is there was some sort of "blip" in the electrical grid that caused the charge fault. Does that make sense and is there anything I should check out?

Thanks in advance.
Hey! I can take a closer look into your charging concern should you need further assistance. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership details?

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Which charger are you using? Is it hard wired? What amp are you charging at?

I had the Ford FCSP hard wired about 1 and a half years ago, 8 gauge wire, set FSCP to 40a on a 50a circuit. Run from the panel to the charger is about 15 feet. My breaker started tripping about a week ago after charging for about 5 minutes. No error codes, the breaker would trip and charging would stop. Reset the breaker and it would trip again after about 5 minutes. I ended up calling an electrician. The wires connected to the breaker were loose causing an arc and tripping the breaker. Replaced the breaker, cut and re-stripped the wires, tightened to spec and issue is resolved so far.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I was running a Grizzl-E Duo that would go into fault mode when the power grid glitched. Our power company was working in the area and switched things about for a few weeks as they worked through it causing brief sub-second power switches on the grid.

The Grizzl-E required a power cycle to clear its brains before it would provide power to the EVs again. I worked with Grizzl-E for a while to try and solve it and make their software more resilient, but in the end, they refunded the purchase.

I've since switched to an Emporia and haven't had a problem since. If the power glitches, it simply resets itself and carries on.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
It is most likely a power glitch but it could be heat related. It looks pretty hot in North Carolina.

If you can, I’d reduce the charging percentage to 70% and make sure the truck is kept relatively cool (windows open in the garage, etc.).

OP
OP

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
Hey! I can take a closer look into your charging concern should you need further assistance. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership details?
Will do either today or tomorrow.

OP
OP

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
Which charger are you using? Is it hard wired? What amp are you charging at?

I had the Ford FCSP hard wired about 1 and a half years ago, 8 gauge wire, set FSCP to 40a on a 50a circuit. Run from the panel to the charger is about 15 feet. My breaker started tripping about a week ago after charging for about 5 minutes. No error codes, the breaker would trip and charging would stop. Reset the breaker and it would trip again after about 5 minutes. I ended up calling an electrician. The wires connected to the breaker were loose causing an arc and tripping the breaker. Replaced the breaker, cut and re-stripped the wires, tightened to spec and issue is resolved so far.
Ford Pro charger at 48 amps. I haven't checked the breaker. I'll check that.
Sponsored