• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro or NO

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14 F150 ecoboost
Occupation
Areospace machinist
Good topic.. No pics but, equipment trailer, SxS, wheeler, dirt bike, and gear. Maybe 6000 lbs. Probably 45mph average. Constant up and down hills. 1.6 m/kwh.
Sponsored

nodoubleg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜15 Jeep JKU, ā€˜89 E-250, ā€˜98 Dodge Ram 2500
Iā€™ve towed my Jeep from Grand Rapids, MI to Moab, and back. This was in March, for Easter Jeep Safari.

First, the numbers:

about 7500 pounds, Jeep + trailer.
Height: unknown, donā€™t have that trailer anymore.
Mileage: pretty much 1.0 mi/kwh. Sometimes I got 1.1.
speed: 65 or less mostly, unless I had a couple charging stops close together :)
20 charging stops each way.
Dropped the trailer only 3 times total

one stretch in western Illinois was a bit of a charging desert when driving something with a shorter range. Had to drop speed to 50 mph, after I made the boneheaded attempt to ā€œdraftā€ a semi truck that was cookin! Not worth it!

cheapest charging was at an EA in Iowa (sorry, didnā€™t wroteWorked out to a bit over $0.12/kwh! Cheaper than my off-peak rate at home.

had one other REALLY close call in Colorado, got off the highway and truck wouldnā€™t move after I stopped at the end of the off-ramp. Had to turn it off, wait a minute, then carefully turn the corner, not stopping until I got to the charging station, which was literally just around the corner. I stopped the truck a few inches too far away! Luckily, after being shut off for another minute or two, the truck would give me enough power to creep forward enough to plug in. Getting that close was the result of another ā€œdraftingā€ attempt. Lesson learned.

Trip took about 2 1/2 days. Little longer than when I drove it last year in the Jeep, but the comfort of the truck had me fully rested and relaxed when I got into Moab. Charging costs werenā€™t cheap (even with both EA and Tesla memberships), but it came out to about what Iā€™d have paid in gas to drive just the Jeep out. As if right on queue, the Jeepā€™s power steering pump left the chat just as I got it up on the trailer to head home.

Truck did just fine crossing the mountains. I was concerned about range for that part, due to the weight, but it ended up being more than fine.

one complaint: in the mountains, ice building up on the front bumper made adaptive cruise control get cranky. There wasnā€™t an easy or safe way to turn adaptive cruise off to just regular cruise without hunting in the menus on the big screen. One suggestion Ford: when the front sensors are blocked by ice, give people a message they can simply click ā€œokā€ to so we can turn off adaptive cruise, so we at least get regular cruise control in those situations, instead of getting a kajillion notifications and cruise not working.

Ford F-150 Lightning DATA THREAD: Post your tow and efficiency! IMG_5106
Ford F-150 Lightning DATA THREAD: Post your tow and efficiency! IMG_4902
Ford F-150 Lightning DATA THREAD: Post your tow and efficiency! IMG_4893

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
23' Grady-White, Approx 6,000lbs w/trailer and 11' to the top of the radar.

Just completed a 500 mile round trip with the rig, and averaged 1.0 mi/kwh doing 65mph.

Ford F-150 Lightning DATA THREAD: Post your tow and efficiency! IMG_1081

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Thanks! Just added to the spreadsheet.

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Trailer - Aluminum 2-axle car deck trailer with tire rack + VW-based 1970 Manx-style beach buggy - 1,750 lbs empty trailer weight + 1300 lbs Buggy weight = 3,050 lbs
Height w/Buggy - 71ā€ tall with Buggy
Efficiency average - 1.3 mi/kWh at 55 MPH average.
Towing miles -365 mi

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Trailer - 26" Family Cruiser Boat with cuddy Cabin = 7,450 lbs
Height - 84"
Efficiency average - 1.05 mi/kWh at 55 MPH average.
Towing miles - 294 mi

Sponsored