Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired

Technobabble

Initial conditions before departure:
  • At 100% SOC displayed, real SOC was 96.06% and Energy 96.13 kWh
  • .......T
Thanks for all the info. very valuable to those of us who haven't done much long distance travel. one thing on I didn't get you say that with the real SOC 96.06 and entergy at 96.13.

Our battery is 130kw so 96% soc would be 125kw. ???
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Technobabble

• .......T
Thanks for all the info. very valuable to those of us who haven't done much long distance travel. one thing on I didn't get you say that with the real SOC 96.06 and entergy at 96.13.

You're confusing two things.

SOC and actual SOC represent two different things. SOC is USABLE, actual includes the upper and lower buffers.

Energy is the amount of usable kWh right now. As the battery gets to temp, that number goes up. It will never be 131kW, mine gets to the high 120s. Yet it shows 100% SOC even with 127kW. Then, if it warms, maybe it goes up to 128, but at the same time I'm using energy so it drops.

Likewise, if it's 20 degrees out you will see a much lower number for energy. Then do a departure time, or stay plugged in and turn the truck on, and as the battery warms you will see the energy number climb.

Electrons move slow in cold, faster in warm.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Technobabble

• .......T

My pleasure.

I think Rick explained it well. Not sure if I understand it well myself. I am told my battery total size is 107.6 kWh. With SOH of 98%. It would be 105.45 and 96.13/105.45 = 91.17%. Not 96.06% So I am not sure how to make the numbers work. I must be misunderstanding something

In addition, in my case battery temp was fairly good at the time and 96.13 Kwh divided by 98 kWh usable for my Pro at 100% SOC was in line with 98% SOH (State Of Health) the truck was reporting. The point of all these numbers is that we all get a good feel for what the truck is doing in different conditions the way each of us use it. I do most of my long distance driving in good weather, don’t tow much, use country roads over highways when I can and in winter most of my drives are short. I usually minimize my acceleration and deceleration so unless I have a long uphill or I am going against high wind, assuming 2 mi/kWh usually is a safe bet for me. And these days with Sperchargers everywhere guessing wrong is not end of the world. You will be fine with ER battery. I would pay closer attention in winter and wouldn’t worry about it much in summer.
Sponsored

Last edited: