• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Echo on Callers End (Apple Car Play)

MadHatter0101

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 LARIAT
Occupation
Sys Admin
I am having and issue randomly when I am on the phone. I am using Wireless CarPlay and the person hears an echo of themselves (I dont hear anything, only they hear on their end). It's 1 out of 4 calls. I have repaired the bluetooth and no luck. I have an iPhone 12 pro max.

Also while there is echo, if I switch from Carplay to my phone and back its fixed for that call. Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
I am having and issue randomly when I am on the phone. I am using Wireless CarPlay and the person hears an echo of themselves (I dont hear anything, only they hear on their end). It's 1 out of 4 calls. I have repaired the bluetooth and no luck. I have an iPhone 12 pro max.

Also while there is echo, if I switch from Carplay to my phone and back its fixed for that call. Any ideas? Thanks
A lot of time this occurs due to what is called 'accoustic coupling'. Your phone is loud enough that the phone is picking up it's own output and the way to fix this is to turn your volume down a bit if you can. The reason turning off Carplay and back on works is because the phone and carplay adjusts their internal noise cancelling software while setting up the path to take the call out to the speakers.

The cellular networks use echo cancellation that affects any echo up to about 128 milliseconds, anything beyond that and they echo isn't knocked down by the echo cancellers. We started (best memory serves me) with 16 ms and over the period of several years worked up to the 128 ms. You will hear the echo happen a lot of times when the other phone has been dropped and the mic has been slightly dislodged.

OP
OP

MadHatter0101

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 LARIAT
Occupation
Sys Admin
A lot of time this occurs due to what is called 'accoustic coupling'. Your phone is loud enough that the phone is picking up it's own output and the way to fix this is to turn your volume down a bit if you can. The reason turning off Carplay and back on works is because the phone and carplay adjusts their internal noise cancelling software while setting up the path to take the call out to the speakers.

The cellular networks use echo cancellation that affects any echo up to about 128 milliseconds, anything beyond that and they echo isn't knocked down by the echo cancellers. We started (best memory serves me) with 16 ms and over the period of several years worked up to the 128 ms. You will hear the echo happen a lot of times when the other phone has been dropped and the mic has been slightly dislodged.

Thank you. That gives me something to test. I do have the volume up on the person I am talking to. I like it loud so I dont miss something.

Edit:
(I owe you a beer if this works lol)

OP
OP

MadHatter0101

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 LARIAT
Occupation
Sys Admin

I turned my volume down to the point I could barely hear ( number 4). Nope still has echo. I had to park and turn off ac to even hear my call.

I even covered the mic and he still had feedback.

Next test I called a person. They confirmed an echo. I didnt touch anything except hung up and call back and no echo for the 2nd call.

Also this happens with everyone I call, just not every call.

Last edited:

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I turned my volume down to the point I could barely hear ( number 4). Nope still has echo. I had to park and turn off ac to even hear my call.

I even covered the mic and he still had feedback.

Next test I called a person. They confirmed an echo. I didnt touch anything except hung up and call back and no echo for the 2nd call.

Also this happens with everyone I call, just not every call.
I saw something today about Apple pushing some updated CODECs in June...that may fix it.

Where are you located? I am in W. Ky., I am waiting on my truck and I use Android.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MadHatter0101

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 LARIAT
Occupation
Sys Admin
I saw something today about Apple pushing some updated CODECs in June...that may fix it.

Where are you located? I am in W. Ky., I am waiting on my truck and I use Android.
I put 14.6 on to see and no luck. I am in California (I hate this State). My next bet is to do a factory reset of the phone. Thanks though.

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I put 14.6 on to see and no luck. I am in California (I hate this State). My next bet is to do a factory reset of the phone. Thanks though.
Want to do some isolation troubleshooting? If you have a piece of something like eggcrate foam that will totally cover your phone, wrap the phone up where it's covered and then make your call. I was talking to another engineer and he said the Apple products will use the vehicle and the phones microphones and it may be the problem.

OP
OP

MadHatter0101

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 LARIAT
Occupation
Sys Admin
Want to do some isolation troubleshooting? If you have a piece of something like eggcrate foam that will totally cover your phone, wrap the phone up where it's covered and then make your call. I was talking to another engineer and he said the Apple products will use the vehicle and the phones microphones and it may be the problem.
I was told from my research that the version of Apple car play on the head unit could be the issue. Older versions had this echo issue, VW's had this problem. I cant test that. What I can tell you is I had a 2019 Ford Ranger with this exact phone and zero issues.

I got something like that. Thats a good idea to try. Thanks for all your help.

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Any time. Good luck with it. Now if you were dealing with that stupid bowtie...you'd be all alone.
Sponsored