• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
Hooked up my teardrop and headed out to the mountains. I swear that trailer shrank since I used to pull it with my Model S... Looks so small now!
Ford F-150 Lightning First camping trip 1000005777

Ford F-150 Lightning First camping trip 1000005778

Round trip was 152km (94mi), average 3km/kWH (1.9mi/kWH) weather approx 10c (50f) with light drizzle, a third of the trip at 100kph (62mph) a third at 80kph (50mph) and the remaining third at 110kph (68mph). Left home at 99%, returned home 2 days later at 63% after running the camper off the 12v in the truck the whole weekend (letting it recharge from the HVB as needed).
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hooked up my teardrop and headed out to the mountains. I swear that trailer shrank since I used to pull it with my Model S... Looks so small now!
1000005777.jpg

1000005778.jpg

Round trip was 152km (94mi), average 3km/kWH (1.9mi/kWH) weather approx 10c (50f) with light drizzle, a third of the trip at 100kph (62mph) a third at 80kph (50mph) and the remaining third at 110kph (68mph). Left home at 99%, returned home 2 days later at 63% after running the camper off the 12v in the truck the whole weekend (letting it recharge from the HVB as needed).
Looks like an awesome adventure!

MacLightning

First Name
Fion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Nice setup!

We took our camper on its first Lightning-powered voyage this Spring also.
Similar split to the speeds, but we went ~280 miles each way.
Averaged 1.2 mi/kWH.
The bike rack needs to change, as it throws off the balance of the trailer and caused some light fishtailing at +65MPH.

Charge stations with room for the trailer were the biggest challenge.
The Supercharger in the picture was actually one of the easier ones to position myself at!

PP Onboard is a game changer for camping!

Ford F-150 Lightning First camping trip 20240510_135049

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
Nice setup!

Averaged 1.2 mi/kWH.
The bike rack needs to change, as it throws off the balance of the trailer and caused some light fishtailing at +65MPH.

The Supercharger in the picture was actually one of the easier ones to position myself at!

20240510_135049.jpg
No surprise that the bigger trailer is less efficient. As for the bike rack, on my old teardrop we had the bike rack on the back like that, and I found the only way I could do that was by moving a bunch of weight inside the trailer to the front. Otherwise I had negative tongue weight, which is a very bad idea! That's why when I built this trailer, I mounted the bikes on the tongue instead. Of course now I have a problem if I decide not to take the bikes, and again have to compensate by moving weight around inside. Realistically, now that I have a proper tow vehicle, I should have the axle further back, and just allow a bit more tongue weight. But with the Tesla my tongue weight was limited to 200 lb and that meant everything had to be a very delicate balance.

I did a bunch of road trips with my Tesla and a trailer, I did have to unhitch at a lot of chargers, but there were certainly a bunch where a bit of out of box thinking could leave you connected. Sometimes by pulling in on the wrong side of the chargers if they were against a roadway or backed on another parking lot, I would also sometimes park diagonally, or across a whole row, if it wasn't very busy. But I will say that if I was parked at all to block other chargers, I would never leave the vehicle, and would be ready to move if someone needed the spots.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
1000005777.jpg

1000005778.jpg

Sweet looking camper! Sounds like the truck worked perfectly with the traveling and hauling! Awesome to hear.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Nice setup!

Averaged 1.2 mi/kWH.

20240510_135049.jpg
That's awesome, Fion! And that's a beautiful F-150 Lightning!
Sponsored