First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
engineer
I'm wondering if anybody replaced the bed of the lightning with a full off-road camper? Is that actually possible on the lightning to be done?
Ford F-150 Lightning Camping with the Lightning and Kodiak Canvas truck tent 47789f_a108b436d44b418ba92fc74dc7f3f7e3~mv2

Ford F-150 Lightning Camping with the Lightning and Kodiak Canvas truck tent 63f357fa7e9aa22ca50d6c1e_2022-Ford-F-550-27North-4x4-203 WB-Ascender-Porsche-China-Gray-1FD0W5
Sponsored

Last edited:

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
I'm wondering if anybody replaced the bed of the lightning with a full off-road camper? Is that actually possible on the lightning to be done?
47789f_a108b436d44b418ba92fc74dc7f3f7e3~mv2.jpg
If something like this were on the Lightning you'd have to charge every hour.

OP
OP
robertantal

robertantal

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
engineer
If something like this were on the Lightning you'd have to charge every hour.
Maybe a smaller and lighter setup using carbon fiber for the panels...

BigMattT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Took my pop up into the mountains this weekend. We do dispersed camping so there are no “sites” or power around. Hooked the pop up to the truck and ran everything we need. Lights over cooking prep station, lights in the camper, portable electric heater in the camper for when it dipped down to high 30’s. But the real winner was when the other families were waiting for their coffee to percolate I pulled out my travel Keurig and brewed a cup of coffee in about a minute.

We were up there for 2 nights and used about 20% battery on an ER which felt high to me but it seems silly that the truck has to be “on” to use the power. So I put both screens in calm mode and turned off the headlights. Still with my phone in my pocket it would drop the running boards periodically. If we can get that part figured out it’s golden.
A camping mode is really a must. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company is turned into this feedback. (And a Dog Mode while they’re at it…)

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Maybe a smaller and lighter setup using carbon fiber for the panels...
It would help, but drag tends to be a bigger problem than weight, and that is a pretty tall parachute to stick to the truck.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Folks, I am glad that others are having fun in the woods with their tents on their Lightnings. Plenty of power for all your gadgets that require electrons to run.
IMG_1277.jpeg
We're so glad you're enjoying your Lightning! :)

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I’ll second the Camp and Dog mode request! I even authorized Ford to use the term “Pet Park” (to avoid any nasty copyright issues with Tesla). I’m currently using Appalachian Pet Park mode with the Sketch app (as a member of this forum suggested). Ford is welcome to save me anytime!
Ford F-150 Lightning Camping with the Lightning and Kodiak Canvas truck tent IMG_0290

Last edited:

HitchRide

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat
Hitch said no to the pop up model unless it comes with a comfy crane. We do like the Kodiak but can be tough to get the fore/aft eves setup before the mosquitoes discover you. If you’re really into roughing it, Serra makes a waterproof heating pad that will slip right over an Exped camping mattress. If I could only find an outlet for it…

Ford F-150 Lightning Camping with the Lightning and Kodiak Canvas truck tent 1717434101361-z4

Ford F-150 Lightning Camping with the Lightning and Kodiak Canvas truck tent 1717434243404-y

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
A camping mode is really a must. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company is turned into this feedback. (And a Dog Mode while they’re at it…)
2 years in and nothing to show for this, I do not have my hopes up for what seems like a 'simple' request. I don't remember what the baseline power draw is while the vehicle is on and everything possible turned off (lights, screens, HVAC)... definitely not zero and adds up over a 2-5 day camping trip.
Sponsored