Sponsored

Ford CEO Jim Farley's fascinating 'take' on taking on Chinese car companies...

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
If they can't survive without subsidies a decade later then they'll never make it.
It shocked me the oil companies are currently receiving tax money funded subsidies, while USA is currently the biggest oil producer in the world ever.
Sponsored

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
davehu said:
If they can't survive without subsidies a decade later then they'll never make it.

It shocked me the oil companies are currently receiving tax money funded subsidies, while USA is currently the biggest oil producer in the world ever.
This ^^.

I always love the, "if they can't make it on their own they don't deserve to make it." comments. We subsidize all manner of very profitable businesses all the time: telco's, oil companies, mines, ad nauseam and yet when it comes to environmental issues suddenly it's all about the free market and subsidies are bad. I have an idea, let's take ALL the subsidies paid out to fossil fuel companies and give them ALL to solar companies, battery companies, EV manufacturers. Let's let the long established fossil fuel companies fight it out in the free market and support the new up and coming businesses.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
While this may be all true and correct . . Please correct me if I'm wrong, aren't the Chinese EV's heavily subsidized in china, and I don't believe the workers are treated very well either.
And as someone with connections to those from and working directly in China, the news you read, rarely reflects the reality on the ground. The stories of Chinese EVs having abysmal quality control and battery safety are not just anti-china smears. They have innovated immensely, but often at the cost of dangerous battery failures and mistakes.

While I think an outright ban on Chinese-built vehicles isn't the right answer, I think to blindly flood the US market with these vehicles would also be incredibly naive.
Sponsored