Sponsored

Front brakes wearing out quickly at 6K miles?

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Not sure what to make of that exactly. I'm no expert.
Does look like pad is breaking up up a bit at the slot there compared to mine though?
Like somethings not quite right.
Yeh If it were me I'd like to get pic of all 4 pads and Root faces then see what mechanic says to confirm any suspicions.
If I were you I'd get a pic of each pad from ground looking up and a pic of both sides of rotor. If a caliper is sticking sometimes you can see the one rotor face is worn down more than others or grooved a bit more.
But likechrisp993 with the badass pony avatar above said you should feel something like vibration or pull etc. Should ask him in how few weekends he can burn down a set of Hawk pads.
Do you get a lot of overspray on rotor n bakes when washing/detailing? I usually try and spay off with Brake Kleen after using any tire dressing, wheel cleaner etc. around brakes.
Lots of good shade tree mechanics and pros on this site.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Topshelf, not enough light on your first pics, try flash (may overwhelm photo though), or have someone shine a flashlight right in the dark part where the pad is, while you take pic.

The last pic in your follow up post of the front outside pad definitely is more than 4mm. So either he's talking about inside pad (but both sides should wear the same, as the calipers are "floating"), or he's talking about the other front wheel.

BTW, not sure what he was implying but 8mm on rear is fine. Most pads new are between 8 and 12mm.

So all you really need to understand is what is the real story on your front (both sides). Your Ford Service guy owes you a better explanation and let you see the problem. Absolutely no way should be down to 4mm at 6k miles. Unless some drives your truck with both feet (i.e. left foot on brake pedal the whole time).

Plus it's not easy to warp a truck rotor. You would have to massively overheat it with continuous braking load for a long time. Unless it was a factory defect.

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
A warped rotor would not wear all 4 wheels (obviously).

Problem with overall brake system (sticky calipers, problem with master, ABS not working correctly) is more likely if true.

However, FIRST you should check the pads yourself.

I've had 2 different dealer service (one Mercedes, one Ford) write me up for needing a brake repair due to pad wear. Both times I took the vehicles home and pulled the wheels and checked. Complete wrong (i.e. they lied). Sometimes they don't even pull the wheel if they think they can see it good enough, or if the wheel is off (for rotate) they don't actually pull pad assembly off the caliper to measure. Just a look-see. On the Mercedes I pulled the pads out measured and took pictures and went back to the Service Manager and showed him. They had written me up as "Red" Critical repair needed now. Claiming less than 3mm on pads. The pads were at 8mm and 7mm. Told him, that was the last time I spent money there (either service or car purchasing) and it was. For the Ford, is was a "recommendation" as they said pads should be replaced. But again, I still had another 10k before replacing (myself, on an all disk brake car, pads are literaly the second easiest, after air and cabin filters to DYI).
See the recall they just announced. Your truck may fall in the time period for leaking breaks.

PWRGEN

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Hybrid 4wd Max Tow
Occupation
Real Estate
I have 5,000 miles on my Powerboost XLT Crew Cab purchased March 15th, 2021 and so far no complaints. Knock on wood. However, I had sticky calipers in two other Fords, a 2003 Expedition and a 1986 Mustang SVO. Diving down the highway I have smelled other Ford truck brakes driving ahead of me with the same hot brake burning smell coming from the pads. Seems to be problem with Ford. I had the Ford dealer replace on my expedition with Ford parts and it happened again. I finally went to Tire Discounters and had them replaced with aftermarket calipers, problem solved -many thousands of happy miles until my brake lines rusted out. It was 16 years old and rusty.

With my Mustang SVO, the passenger side caliper was sticking and smoking at stop lights every once and awhile and finally had it replaced with after market parts and no more problem.

You would think by now that Ford would find a better brake parts supplier. As soon as it happens with mine I'm skipping the dealer and finding after market calipers even if they're under warranty. When an automaker introduces a new design and new tech, its kind of a leap of faith buying the first year of any production vehicle, especially American brands. We are definitely guinea pigs.
Sponsored