Sponsored

Hands Free IR camera's? Is there only 1?

If I cover the IR camera near the touchscreen, Blue Cruise complains keep eyes on the road.

• No, I don't get the eyes on the road message if I cover the center camera.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get the eyes on the road message if I cover either the center camera, or the door IR camera.

• I get the eyes on the road message only if I cover the door IR camera.

• I have to cover both the center and the door camera before I see the eyes message.

• Total voters

tom666317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
If I put my hand in front of the IR camera near the touchscreen while hands free is engaged, the system pops up stating that I need to keep my eyes on the road. If I instead put my hand over the camera in the driver side door, there is no message no matter how long I keep it there. Can others confirm that this is expected? Anyone have a different experience when using hands free?
Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
There’s only one camera and it’s in the center module. But both the center and the driver door module has IR LEDs for seeing at night.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Ya, I noticed this early on as I like to lean left while cruising and it would spit out messages, especially when my right hand was on the wheel, it cut the angle even further. I've adapted and my posture is better for it now 😁

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
If memory serves me correctly, it warns me when either is blocked, but I haven't tested it directly since the last several updates have come out to be certain.

OP
OP

tom666317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Thanks for the responses. At least we are all aware it was a bad design decision that causes the system to constantly nag to watch the road when the sun is in the lower atmosphere.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If memory serves me correctly, it warns me when either is blocked, but I haven't tested it directly since the last several updates have come out to be certain.
Changed my vote to option 1

Ran a test of the situation, local roads with lane keeping on which requires hands on the wheel to maintain lane centering.

Covered the center IR camera, it immediately began warning me to pay attention to the road.

Covered the door IR camera, no warnings and no disengagement of lane keeping assistance.

I'm currently at Power Up 6.4.0.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
There’s only one camera and it’s in the center module. But both the center and the driver door module has IR LEDs for seeing at night.
Interesting, in the past I've accidently block the door IR emitter by placing my hands high up on the wheel, soon after the warnings would pop up, but that's not happening anymore.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Interesting, in the past I've accidently block the door IR emitter by placing my hands high up on the wheel, soon after the warnings would pop up, but that's not happening anymore.
Could it maybe be a night versus day thing? I have seen on my security cameras that the left vs right IR strobes are alternating patterns so maybe there was a safety check making sure both were visible.
Sponsored