• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
That's a pretty thorough walk around, in and under.

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Nice! Can't wait to see what lifts/tires will fit. :)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Nice! Can't wait to see what lifts/tires will fit. :)
Just remember that this will kill your range, so make sure to take that into account.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Just remember that this will kill your range, so make sure to take that into account.
The Rivian R1T runs 275/65R20 all-terrain (the largest tire that fits the 2021 F-150 without a lift or leveling) and range was tested at a steady 70 mph for 290 miles (EPA 319.)
I'm sure going larger will cause worse and worse range (at freeway speeds) but off-road, it seems that other electric vehicle tests (Jeep 4xE) show the weight of the wheel-tire is not an excessive hit on range efficiency.
The real problem for 2022 is not the same as it was in 2018 or 2016. We used to worry about range anxiety but today it's a matter of where to charge, not how far you can go on a 100% charge. If you want to drive an EV like a gas vehicle, you need chargers "everywhere" so the vehicle is "always" at 60% or 70% … then when it gets to 10%, you just pick a nearby charger and "top up" to 50%.
The old "gas tank" idea of driving till the fuel gauge is in the last quarter then "fill 'er up" doesn't work for EVs. It's the other way around … charge to 75%, drive to 5%. But driving down to 5% is tricky … until there's chargers "everywhere" … like having 8 or 16 or 50 chargers all around Moab for example. That's when EVs can wheel on 40s or tow a trailer … range will be 150 miles instead of 300, but charging will take 10 minutes, not 120 minutes and you won't have to change your plans to go find somewhere to charge. A pity the govt didn't take advice to build the network 10+ years ago …

Sponsored

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
The Rivian R1T runs 275/65R20 all-terrain (the largest tire that fits the 2021 F-150 without a lift or leveling) and range was tested at a steady 70 mph for 290 miles (EPA 319.)
I'm sure going larger will cause worse and worse range (at freeway speeds) but off-road, it seems that other electric vehicle tests (Jeep 4xE) show the weight of the wheel-tire is not an excessive hit on range efficiency.
The real problem for 2022 is not the same as it was in 2018 or 2016. We used to worry about range anxiety but today it's a matter of where to charge, not how far you can go on a 100% charge. If you want to drive an EV like a gas vehicle, you need chargers "everywhere" so the vehicle is "always" at 60% or 70% … then when it gets to 10%, you just pick a nearby charger and "top up" to 50%.
The old "gas tank" idea of driving till the fuel gauge is in the last quarter then "fill 'er up" doesn't work for EVs. It's the other way around … charge to 75%, drive to 5%. But driving down to 5% is tricky … until there's chargers "everywhere" … like having 8 or 16 or 50 chargers all around Moab for example. That's when EVs can wheel on 40s or tow a trailer … range will be 150 miles instead of 300, but charging will take 10 minutes, not 120 minutes and you won't have to change your plans to go find somewhere to charge. A pity the govt didn't take advice to build the network 10+ years ago …
That's why I love my Tesla. Anyone will tell you that the charge experience is awesome. When you go to non-tesla chargers, it sucks. Who wants to open an app? Slow, unreliable, and actually often non-operational. Non-T will get better, they already have, but they need to get to T level. My F150 experience will be much worse than my T when it comes to charging, but at least I know that and am prepared. I hope everyone is a bit patient. Or.... T opens it chargers to Ford and all other EVs catch up. Again, if we can get to T level, you'll never worry.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
When you go to non-tesla chargers, it sucks. Who wants to open an app?
Is it really hard to open an App? I mean if you're used to filling up w/ Gas, it's effectively the same process (aside from the waiting for "fuel" to enter)

Example going to Electrify America:

1. Pull up - 30 seconds
2. Plug in - 10 seconds
3. Open app, swipe phone on station - 15 seconds
4. wait for charging to be done. - 20-40 minutes

I didn't realize having to spend an extra 15 seconds was a "much worse" experience.

Plus, pretty sure F150 will have plug in charge, just like the Mach-e. So, no need to open app.

For a company that just started installing chargers 4 years ago, people don't give Electrify America as much credit as they deserve. Around me there are ~15 Electrify America Stations in like a 50 mile radius, there are ~6 Tesla super charger stations.

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
That's if it works and you have signal and you have the right app installed. I have 6 different apps because different non-T stations often have a different one. And my experience is that they are not working about 30% of the time. So, no, opening an app is easy. Downloading one only to find that the charger doesn't work anyway and hoping you can find another, that's a pain. Especially with kids in the car or running at 5% battery. Tesla chargers are the way, for now. Others will catch up but they aren't close yet.

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Ford said the plug and charge is working for electrify America and will be working with other chargers soon.
Sponsored