• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HIS system with AC coupled solar and ability to charge truck via DC off grid.

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have bought a HIS system and am about to install it, but am trying to get a couple answers before diving in. I have searched spec sheets, installation manuals, etc. but have no conclusive answers. Just hints that it may work here and there.

Question 1: Can the HIS system (E4-BDI inverter) be used with an AC coupled solar system? The E4-TL-US has this setup shown specifically on the architecture diagrams, but the E4-BDI spec sheet does not. The E4-BDI spec does say AC coupled compatibility though, but it has no specifics. Has anyone gotten this to work? I would love to be able to use solar in off-grid mode.
For reference I should be getting an LG battery to have even when the truck is not plugged in.

Question 2: Can the truck actually be charged in off grid mode using the DC connection? I have seen a couple of random posts indicating someone says it can be done, but nothing specific. It would be nice if excess solar can be used with the truck in an off-grid scenario, as the AC charging would be off as per the system diagram.
Sponsored

smandel

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired Stagehand/ Electric/Sound/Props/Carp/Etc
Yes, mine is AC coupled to my Solar and during the daylight when I’ve tested the system the truck battery level increased. I’m looking to get a battery installed for when my truck isn’t plugged in as well.
my power at home is solid from the grid so any interruption has been less than the time to initiate his system. I guess that’s a good thing and the reason I haven’t moved on an extra 5-10 kw battery.

OP
OP

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, mine is AC coupled to my Solar and during the daylight when I’ve tested the system the truck battery level increased. I’m looking to get a battery installed for when my truck isn’t plugged in as well.
my power at home is solid from the grid so any interruption has been less than the time to initiate his system. I guess that’s a good thing and the reason I haven’t moved on an extra 5-10 kw battery.
Thank you. I assume the solar is back feeding a breaker in your critical loads panel?

smandel

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired Stagehand/ Electric/Sound/Props/Carp/Etc

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Yes BUT... The amount of hours per day that there would be sufficient 400vdc from the solar system is very limited. Peak voltage is a few hours a day when in full sun. And the majority of users are not even home when that happens since it's mid-day. It requires a whole new hardware and firmware implementation to comply with industry DCFC standards and be safe. So it is a LOT of work, a LOT of hardware/software to implement, and minimal to no actual useful purpose.

You COULD use massive battery storage power walls to capture solar energy while you're away. Then it's DC-DC boost from 48vdc to 400vdc. Still some loss, and still additional hardware and software. So honestly still not work it IMO.

Level 2 AC charging requires nothing special and is universal. So despite some conversation loss during coincidental peak sun hours, IMO sticking with level 2 AC is stilll the best way.

Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Sure. But 400vdc residential power systems are far fewer and further between, more complex, and far fewer options on the market. There are significant safety and code compliance implications that do not apply to traditional 48vdc systems. In other words, you'd be paying out the ass for a complex system that likely has little to no ROI on that extra cost even with the small efficiency improvement over a traditional 48v system.

Just to put system size in perspective here in very very rounded terms, you'd need ~0.6 industry standard 400w solar panel per kWh of EV recharging. My 60kWh round trip daily commute would require 36 panels. More the further north you live. A 14kWh battery power wall is about $3600. So that would be about $18k in batteries just for EV charging storage here.

It is usually more economical to just do net metering where your excess solar is sold back to the grid, and that offsets (some or all) of your EV charging grid power in the evening. A smaller battery system, maybe on 14kwh power wall services a home UPS for power outages on a critical load panel if you want that.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I have bought a HIS system and am about to install it, but am trying to get a couple answers before diving in. I have searched spec sheets, installation manuals, etc. but have no conclusive answers. Just hints that it may work here and there.

Question 1: Can the HIS system (E4-BDI inverter) be used with an AC coupled solar system? The E4-TL-US has this setup shown specifically on the architecture diagrams, but the E4-BDI spec sheet does not. The E4-BDI spec does say AC coupled compatibility though, but it has no specifics. Has anyone gotten this to work? I would love to be able to use solar in off-grid mode.
For reference I should be getting an LG battery to have even when the truck is not plugged in.

Question 2: Can the truck actually be charged in off grid mode using the DC connection? I have seen a couple of random posts indicating someone says it can be done, but nothing specific. It would be nice if excess solar can be used with the truck in an off-grid scenario, as the AC charging would be off as per the system diagram.
Q1: the HIS can have a solar input, but an inverter takes a DC input from the PVs and produces AC, so solar panels to the HIS BDinverter is provided for (see the Sunrun documents) as a DC input through the J box.

However, you could use the solar AC system as an alternate power source through a transfer switch to the BACKUP BREAKER panel.

Ford F-150 Lightning HIS system with AC coupled solar and ability to charge truck via DC off grid. Integration Sys CSP-SunRun-PV wirin

In this diagram, the solar cells are shown on the far right top of the diagram.

If another AC source is provided, it could be connected via the BACKUP SUBPANEL and another transfer switch.

The Lightning and the other AC source (e.g., the solar inverter AC output) could be switched with another AC DISCONNECT to input to the AC IN of the DELTA BDI. So if the Lightning is not connected the solar cell inverter AC output would power the BACKUP SUBPANEL.

Or one could switch the solar DC output from the solar cells, from the solar inverter to the BDinverter PV IN.

Best to check with Sunrun/DELTA or the installer about what is the best way to have the solar connected.

But there are definitely multiple ways it could be done.

Q2: It could be done, but I have not heard of anyone doing it. To do it, you have to do all the handshaking that a DC Fast Charger does to negotiate the DC charging with the Lightning. So there needs to be some emulation in the off-grid DC source of a commercial DC fast charger.

Another way would be to have a large-ish battery bank charged by the solar/wind/whatever, and use that to power a DC fast charger. There are some DC chargers for home use available.

Delta Wallbox DCFC 25kW - Single Port
Technical Specs:
  • SAE Combo charging port
  • DIN 70121 / CHAdeMO compliance
  • Max. output power: 25kW
  • Output voltage range: 200-500Vdc (SAE Combo); 50-500Vdc (CHAdeMO)
  • Max. 94% power efficiency
  • RFID card reader for user authentication
  • Network connectivity (OCPP)
  • Type 3R protection and IK08 vandal-proof casing
  • Available in 3 power inputs (pricing varies, please call 585.533.4051):
    • 3 phase, 208 volt
    • 3 phase, 480 volt
    • 1 phase, 240 volt

https://www.evchargesolutions.com/Delta-EV-DC-Quick-Charger-Wallbox-p/deltadcfcsingle.htm

But the FCSP at 80A give you 19.2kW charging power so a L3 at 25kW is not that much better and costs a heck of a lot more!

To get really high power L3 you need a high voltage high current utility source which most people don't have at a residence.

And commercial ones are pricey (tens of thousands).
But there are government subsidies if you want to set up a commercial one and have a place where it can be done - an appropriate utility hook up.

But remember, DC fast charging stresses the HVB so not a good idea to be doing it at home every day if you want your battery to last.

The slowest charging you can live with is the best for battery longevity, if that matters to you.

OP
OP

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a very specific question. In the invert M-professional app, do you have the AC coupled setting turned on or off?
Sponsored