Sponsored

Is it normal for the frunk to not open from the button if the truck is locked even if I have the fob?

broteus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT ER Carbonized Gray Metallic
For some reason, I imagine the truck to be like my other cars where even if the truck is locked, as long as I have the key fob I should be able to open the frunk with the button. But I have to unlock the truck before the frunk would open. I have an XLT if that makes a difference.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Frunk button only works when all doors are unlocked (not just driver door). It may be a security thing.

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Yes, this drives me nuts. For some reason I see very few people complaining about this. Every vehicle I have owned, I can open the trunk, tailgate, whatever with the fob in my pocket using passive entry with the vehicle locked. I can even open the tailgate on this truck in that manner. I don’t know why they make me fish the fob out of my pocket to open the frunk!

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
For some reason, I imagine the truck to be like my other cars where even if the truck is locked, as long as I have the key fob I should be able to open the frunk with the button. But I have to unlock the truck before the frunk would open. I have an XLT if that makes a difference.
It drove me nuts at first, because I used to have a Mustang Mach-E and I could open it even when the doors were locked.

At first, I didn't realize it needed to be unlocked, so I assumed it was some kind of glitch because it worked sometimes, and not others. Eventually, I realized it only worked when it was unlocked.

I assume there is no sensor in the front like the Mach-E, so it doesn't have a way to know you are carrying the FOB. So, most of the time if I need to take out the FOB to unlock it, I just open it with the FOB... making the button kind of useless.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
works fine on my '23 Lariat. with the doors locked I can open with the fob or the hood button. no problem. I didn't look but see if there is a setting you can change in sync

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is simply Ford playing crazy games and telling you that you didn't pay enough for your truck to be able to open without unlocking first.

Lariat and Platinum have additional bluetooth receivers and will open with the press of the button even when the truck is locked where the Pro and XLT will not.

There could be some variations on the packages, but overall upper end will. There are a couple of other threads where this was debated. I use PAAK, have a Lariat 511A and can open with the button while the truck is locked.
Sponsored