• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is this damage normal? Wheels damaged during tire install

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
I'm not sure if I am nitpicking and this is the first time I have had steel wheels with this type of crimp on weight, but is this normal?

I had some paint damage during a tire install. It looks like either the wheels were damaged when new weights were installed or when old weights were removed.

Damage during install (no rust)
Ford F-150 Lightning Is this damage normal? Wheels damaged during tire install IMG_0930

Wheel damage probably from old wheel weight (little rust)
Ford F-150 Lightning Is this damage normal? Wheels damaged during tire install IMG_0936
Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Oof, could be weights being removed it's tough to say. The problem is getting into a 'discussion' of prove it wasn't there already isn't worth the head space. I would get a small "Duplicolor" touch up pen/brush and youtube touch ups and you will know it's there, but nobody else will. Stuff happens although it's still a bummer. We still don't have a recall done on our Mach-E as each trip to the service department comes with its own set of risks. Inevitably I'll pick my vehicle up and find something. Yours does look like an easy touch up for sure.

RedStorm

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5L EcoBoost
That's pretty standard for clip on weights. Hammering the weights on and removal will typically leave some small scuffs. Just the nature of steel wheels and clip on weights.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Always request the weights are applied to the other side (inside) of the wheel. Who wants to see them even if applied without scuffing up the rim....

OP
OP
sempifi99

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Always request the weights are applied to the other side (inside) of the wheel. Who wants to see them even if applied without scuffing up the rim....
Good idea, wish I had thought to do that.

Sponsored

RedStorm

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5L EcoBoost
Good idea, wish I had thought to do that.
While you can do a single clip weight, it effects the quality of your balance. You'll typically see more vibration as you're not able to balance against side to side movement of the tire. If you're worried about the appearance that much, some aftermarket wheels with tape weights will look and ride better.
You might be able to get a shop to do an inside clip weight AND tape weights just inside the spokes, but shops don't usually throw tape weights on steel wheels.

RedStorm

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5L EcoBoost

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I thought you were going to have a set of low profile alloy wheels/tires, which are a challenge to mount/dismount without damage on older equipment.

I'd touch up the paint as mentioned above, since you are in Indiana and not worry about it any further. I would also avoid that tire shop, since that's some amateur hour work.

OP
OP
sempifi99

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I thought you were going to have a set of low profile alloy wheels/tires, which are a challenge to mount/dismount without damage on older equipment.

I'd touch up the paint as mentioned above, since you are in Indiana and not worry about it any further. I would also avoid that tire shop, since that's some amateur hour work.
I actually had a set of method wheels 17" +25 offset, I'm not a fan of low profile tires. I ended up testing with a spacer of the same size and that was making the clearances to close for my liking and I would have needed at least a 1" level so I ended up returning them.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Keep an eye out for OEM take-off wheels, they usually have under a few thousand miles and around my area go for $800-1500 for a set of 4 wheels/tires.
Sponsored