• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Liking my Lightning... Challenge.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I'm not downing EV's, just trying to be real here. We can't ignore the realities of ownership.
Understood. My example was one that we typically experience, but wouldn't necessarily be the same if I was travelling alone.

There are a number of things that one has to approach differently in an EV. Plugging in each night (or almost each night) at home to start the next day "full" is a mind shift from only filling the tank once or twice a week. Similarly, practically no one would think of adding a but of gas to the tank if just making a 10 minute bathroom break, but plugging into a fast charger while on such a break might eliminate the need for a separate stop to get to the destination.

In my nearly seven years of driving a Focus Electric with its 100-mile range, I've learned to adapt to these sort of changes. Travelling in the SR Lightning is a breeze by comparison.
Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Understood. My example was one that we typically experience, but wouldn't necessarily be the same if I was travelling alone.

There are a number of things that one has to approach differently in an EV. Plugging in each night (or almost each night) at home to start the next day "full" is a mind shift from only filling the tank once or twice a week. Similarly, practically no one would think of adding a but of gas to the tank if just making a 10 minute bathroom break, but plugging into a fast charger while on such a break might eliminate the need for a separate stop to get to the destination.

In my nearly seven years of driving a Focus Electric with its 100-mile range, I've learned to adapt to these sort of changes. Travelling in the SR Lightning is a breeze by comparison.
I'm with you, I had a huge learning curve and finally get the different mentality of EV ownership.

My experiences as an extremely poor use case EV owner is why when it comes to charging on the road I'm so numbers oriented and bring this stuff up. I put tons of miles on my vehicle's and always on the go. I'm quick to notice anything that slows me down and as a numbers guy start going down the rabbit hole to figure out what's costing me time and money. I feel it's useful info to others as EV's make their way into mainstream to owners who are less willing to adjust to the potential inconveniences of ownership. I think this is where we'll start seeing a clash of viewpoints/expectations between the old guard and the newcomers.

OP
OP

woodsman

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Semi driver
I'm with you, I had a huge learning curve and finally get the different mentality of EV ownership.

My experiences as an extremely poor use case EV owner is why when it comes to charging on the road I'm so numbers oriented and bring this stuff up. I put tons of miles on my vehicle's and always on the go. I'm quick to notice anything that slows me down and as a numbers guy start going down the rabbit hole to figure out what's costing me time and money. I feel it's useful info to others as EV's make their way into mainstream to owners who are less willing to adjust to the potential inconveniences of ownership. I think this is where we'll start seeing a clash of viewpoints/expectations between the old guard and the newcomers.
I completely agree with you VAF84, going EV is a Commitment. If you're going to whine and bellyache the first time you are bothered by charging. Like going to cell phones, with the dropped calls. But it is unreal what we use our phones for now.
Just took a load of car scrap to the yard, they were pretty impressed.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I agree with @VAF84 ! I'm a previous Iron Butt motorcycle competitor and gas stops were always fast and efficient. Now ya the life of EV road trips introduces many sacrifices most consumers won't tolerate.
Sponsored