Sponsored

Max Tongue Weight

CJWisinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F-550
Hi All, I am looking at buying an Extended Range Lariat (don't have one specifically in mind, just judging the feasibility before searching for one). I have a boat that I tow about 10 miles to the lake a few times a month throughout the summer. It weights in the neighborhood of 9000 pounds, trailer and all. I know that the rating of 10,000 for towing is with a weight distribution hitch, but what is the max tongue weight? I have found other posts that state the hitch on the Lightnings leave a lot to be desired as far as strength goes. It is a fairly tongue heavy boat/trailer but I do not have the exact weight. My concern is that the truck does not have enough payload capacity along with the hitch not being robust enough to support the tongue weight. If I had to guess, the tongue weight would be around the 1000 pound mark based on taking it over a scale when attached to a previous SUV of mine but I did not know the current curb weight of the SUV. So I am looking for some input here. The Lightning would not be towing this boat across the country, 99% of the time it will not have a trailer at all and just be my daily driver.
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Hi All, I am looking at buying an Extended Range Lariat (don't have one specifically in mind, just judging the feasibility before searching for one). I have a boat that I tow about 10 miles to the lake a few times a month throughout the summer. It weights in the neighborhood of 9000 pounds, trailer and all. I know that the rating of 10,000 for towing is with a weight distribution hitch, but what is the max tongue weight? I have found other posts that state the hitch on the Lightnings leave a lot to be desired as far as strength goes. It is a fairly tongue heavy boat/trailer but I do not have the exact weight. My concern is that the truck does not have enough payload capacity along with the hitch not being robust enough to support the tongue weight. If I had to guess, the tongue weight would be around the 1000 pound mark based on taking it over a scale when attached to a previous SUV of mine but I did not know the current curb weight of the SUV. So I am looking for some input here. The Lightning would not be towing this boat across the country, 99% of the time it will not have a trailer at all and just be my daily driver.
10% of the max capacity and 10-15% of what is being towed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Max Tongue Weight IMG_5348

OP
OP

CJWisinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F-550
You'll want to get the full set of towing options. The max tongue load is 10% of max towing capacity, or 1,000 pounds with the 10,000 pound towing capability.

The Lightning's payload capacity is plenty (2235 pounds).

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...cpo/pdf/2023_Ford_F-150_Towing_Info_Dec16.pdf

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 11.12.25.png
That 1,000 pounds then could potentially be reduced based on the overall payload capacity of the truck though. So if the payload capacity is only 1500 pounds per se, then a tongue weight of 1000 pounds, that leaves 500 pounds for people, gear, and other things. That is not a lot when you think about having multiple people in the truck. That is why I am curious about the payload capacity as well of a Lariat ER lightning and that does not seem to be posted officially anywhere.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
That 1,000 pounds then could potentially be reduced based on the overall payload capacity of the truck though. So if the payload capacity is only 1500 pounds per se, then a tongue weight of 1000 pounds, that leaves 500 pounds for people, gear, and other things. That is not a lot when you think about having multiple people in the truck. That is why I am curious about the payload capacity as well of a Lariat ER lightning and that does not seem to be posted officially anywhere.
The payload capacity is in that document. It's 2235 pounds. After fully loading the truck with a 10,000 pound trailer, you have 1235 pounds of payload.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CJWisinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F-550
The payload capacity is in that document. It's 2235 pounds. After fully loading the truck with a 10,000 pound trailer, you have 1235 pounds of payload.
That is for a Pro SR model with 18" wheels. So add the larger battery, heavier options that a lariat has, and the larger wheels, that must be down much closer to the 1500 pound mark for payload capacity right?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is for a Pro SR model with 18" wheels. So add the larger battery, heavier options that a lariat has, and the larger wheels, that must be down much closer to the 1500 pound mark for payload capacity right?
Right. Apologies.

My Lariat ER is labeled for 1626 pounds. It has the 10,000 pound towing capacity. So 626 pounds if I loaded up a 10,000 pound trailer.

Ford F-150 Lightning Max Tongue Weight PXL_20240517_182359238~2

OP
OP

CJWisinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F-550
Right. Apologies.

My Lariat ER is labeled for 1626 pounds. It has the 10,000 pound towing capacity. So 626 pounds if I loaded up a 10,000 pound trailer.

PXL_20240517_182359238~2.jpg
Gotcha, is that standard? I assume you have the 8550 GVWR then?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...-lightning/pdf/F-150_Lightning_Tech_Specs.pdf

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gotcha, is that standard? I assume you have the 8550 GVWR then?
I think it's pretty standard. There were a couple of things removed at the factory (under seat security box), but they are fairly light. Technically the truck is rated for 8400 GVWR because they "upgraded" it at the factory to tires that I didn't want, but those are replaceable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CJWisinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F-550
I think it's pretty standard. There were a couple of things removed at the factory (under seat security box), but they are fairly light. Technically the truck is rated for 8400 GVWR because they "upgraded" it at the factory to tires that I didn't want, but those are replaceable.
Okay great. Well it sounds like I would be okay. I do wonder if the truck will yell at me though if it has the on board scales.

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Here's mine.
Lariat ER w/Max Tow pkg.
GVWR 8550 lbs.

Ford F-150 Lightning Max Tongue Weight payload

OP
OP

CJWisinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F-550
Here's mine.
Lariat ER w/Max Tow pkg.
GVWR 8550 lbs.

payload.jpg
Oh that's awesome, that is what I was looking for. I wonder if the truck could handle my boat without a weight distribution hitch.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Lariat SR enters the chat. This is not max tow, I don't know if that changes anything.

Ford F-150 Lightning Max Tongue Weight IMG_5248
Sponsored