Sponsored

Mildew/Musty/Moisture Smell Upon Fan/AC turning On

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Model 3's have this issue as well but it was much worse. I used kool-it to clean its insides. With my truck, I always turn off the AC a couple minutes from home, or I let it run in my garage while unloading, with the AC button toggled off.
Sponsored

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
I've been a Ford owner for eons, the problem developed on all my former trucks....
Tips from my favorite PowerStroke technician!!

I was scared to drill the hole through the plastic like that Powerstroke tech.

So, I ordered this less-expensive product from Amazon:
Kool-It

It has a hose that inserts up through the A/C drain opening underneath the truck. The entire contents of the can are dispensed as a foam through the A/C drain. Wait 15 minutes, then turn the A/C on low for five minutes.

My thoughts and things I learned:
This Kool-It product smells like spearmint gum. It definitely fills the entire A/C system with foam. After five minutes, I turned my A/C on high and foam was blowing through the vents in my face. So, I switched it to low for another 10-15 minutes. It's hard to tell how much gunk is removed from the evaporator because the discharged foam drips all over the frame of the truck before landing in the catch pan, or more often, on the tarp next to the catch pan. Inserting the product through the drain did not require the cabin air filter to be removed. I checked the cabin air filter afterwards, and it was not wet.

Below are images of the A/C drain. The drain is located behind the front, passenger wheel well liner. If you lie down behind the front, passenger tire and pull the wheel well liner toward the outside of the vehicle, you'll see the drain. See images below.

Definitely place a tarp under your catch pan. This stuff drips everywhere. Next time, I'll wear safety glasses. A lot of debris falls from the wheel well liner. I'll wear latex gloves next time because the spray top doesn't attach all that well to the canister for the product, so some leaks onto hands.

I'm hoping to get a couple months of good smelling air out of it, but I'm going to order another one or two cans to have on deck when it's time.

Edit: When I reordered, I decided to try this Kool-It product below because it describes the scent as "Fresh" instead of "Mild Spearmint," and I'm curious if it's a different fragrance.
Kool-It Fresh 2-pack

Ford F-150 Lightning Mildew/Musty/Moisture Smell Upon Fan/AC turning On IMG_1817
Ford F-150 Lightning Mildew/Musty/Moisture Smell Upon Fan/AC turning On IMG_1815

Last edited:

zinkscott

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Cloud Engineer
I just started experiencing this.

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
I just started experiencing this.
Same here, maybe the time of year when AC is not used as much? Not enjoying the musty smells.
Sponsored