No cut Tonneau cover?

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
So I bought a Oedro trifold vinyl bed cover from Amazon.
I was going to install it today but I found in the directions that it would require me to cut the bed cap.
So that it would grab metal instead of the plastic. Has anyone found one that you don’t need to modify the bed caps?
Ford F-150 Lightning No cut Tonneau cover? 35522E4F-5309-4BDA-95F9-654EC59665DB
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I don’t have a lightning but installed similar cover on an older f-150 and don’t have to cut it even though the instructions indicate otherwise. Check how much the bed cap overhangs before cutting.

OP
OP
LUXMAN

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I don’t have a lightning but installed similar cover on an older f-150 and don’t have to cut it even though the instructions indicate otherwise. Check how much the bed cap overhangs before cutting.
It overhangs maybe 1/8 to 3/16ths. So it would be that plastic rail cap that the clamp holds onto.
The clamp arm isn’t long enough to reach under the rail to the metal at the top of the bed.
Having never put one of these on, that may just be they way these things go but I just can’t cut a new truck for that.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
"The clamps may not precisely vertical"
Yikes.

I like how on the Amazon listing it says "no drilling easy installation." Like, I know cutting isn't the same as drilling but c'mon.

My understanding is that most tonneau covers are no-cut. You'll probably have to spend more than $220 to get something from a reputable brand to know for sure, though. DM the RealTruck.com rep on here for a discount on products they have in stock. Those folks are awesome.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I checked the cover on Fakespot and their analysis is that most of the Amazon reviews are fake. Basically all the 5* are fake and all the 1*-2* are real. The adjusted rating was 1.5*

I'd just return it and buy something that isn't Amazon chinesium, but it'll cost quite a bit more.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I got the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 from realtruck.com (with discount for site members) and love it. No modifications at all and easy to remove when full access is needed. No tools needed either.

OP
OP
LUXMAN

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I checked the cover on Fakespot and their analysis is that most of the Amazon reviews are fake. Basically all the 5* are fake and all the 1*-2* are real. The adjusted rating was 1.5*

I'd just return it and buy something that isn't Amazon chinesium, but it'll cost quite a bit more.
I actually did return it this afternoon.
It looked good enough to try with free returns until the end of January. I was not sure if it’s clamps to start with.

i had not heard of Fakespot but I will check that out and also I will check out Realtruck.

OP
OP
LUXMAN

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Was just checking out the EXTANG cover and same deal.
Ford F-150 Lightning No cut Tonneau cover? D7A4AC17-06BC-47F0-A10C-4196E7F76EAF

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
D7A4AC17-06BC-47F0-A10C-4196E7F76EAF.png
Interesting.... I did not trim and have no concerns at all about how it attaches. See this picture (from realtruck site) showing the clamp in detail. It looks like a different clamp design then the directions you posted. I will see if I still have the directions that came with the cover.

Ford F-150 Lightning No cut Tonneau cover? de95557abdce8694a5510ae743cada0c

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
My instructions also said the same. I didn't cut anything and found there to be virtually no overhang. No issues here.

Sponsored

shadycoh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt

so what bed cover is not made in China ?

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
D7A4AC17-06BC-47F0-A10C-4196E7F76EAF.png
I had the Ford "OEM" Advantage Soft Folding Tonneau installed, which I believe is the Extang 2.0 with Ford's name on the cover.
I used the 20% off accessory cupon to purchase online with installation. The instructions and the online installation video on Truck Hero tells you to cut the bed rail if it overlaps, but I know the dealer did not do that.
My cover has been on four months, no issues.
Had the OEM hard tri-fold on my 2019 and like this one better because it does not leak.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
so what bed cover is not made in China ?
Pretty much every truck accessory in existence has a version that's not made overseas.

And when I say "Amazon chinesium" I don't mean "made in China." I mean the no-name garbage that gets inundated with fake reviews so people think they're buying a good product for cheap and get trash that barely works instead. The stuff that's made third shift with no oversight. Search for almost any product on amazon and you'll see 40 iterations of the same exact item with different made up brand names. Once there are enough bad reviews, they retire the name. But it's okay, they have 39 more.

shadycoh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
So the short ver is you do not know of a US made cover

Pretty much every truck accessory in existence has a version that's not made overseas.

And when I say "Amazon chinesium" I don't mean "made in China." I mean the no-name garbage that gets inundated with fake reviews so people think they're buying a good product for cheap and get trash that barely works instead. The stuff that's made third shift with no oversight. Search for almost any product on amazon and you'll see 40 iterations of the same exact item with different made up brand names. Once there are enough bad reviews, they retire the name. But it's okay, they have 39 more.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So the short ver is you do not know of a US made cover
Oh, you wanted the short answer?

Gator, BAKflip, peragon, retrax, leer. I'm sure there are many more, but I don't think that matters to someone like you.
Sponsored