• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV, Tesla Model 3, F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Marine electrical propulsion engineer
A couple of months ago we took our 23 SR XLT with our 1973, 1900 pound Alaskan Cabover camper on a 3100 mile trip from Port Townsend Washington to Big Sur California, and back, stayed on the coastal beaches the entire way down. 101 and HY 1 have maximum speeds of 55 along the route. We dry camped 2-3 nights away from RV parks followed by one night in parks with 30-50 amp service Or hit a quick charger. The 50 amp CG refilled the rig and provide all hotel electrical needs over night, the 30 amp services provided all hotel loads and tended to add between 30-50 miles depending on our stay duration. We took I 5 north utilizing QC much more based on speeds and distances covered.
After 3125 miles our driving Average was 1.6 MPKW
this included
3% to truck cab climate use
85% route
7% Accessories including, lighting, phone charging, induction cooking, water heating, electric barbecuing, heat pump and refrigeration.
5% Exterior temperatures, 65 deg ave on coast, 100 avg on the I-5 corridor.
we stayed in hotels 7 times over 30 days, and 7 days at CG with electrical service.

The QC invoice total was $616.48
at current gas prices and a loaded F150 with camper consumption of 12.5 MPG
it would have cost $1092.50 not including any Propaine or gas for a generator, that would be required to have the same standard of living as my family of 3 experienced.

This was a fantastic use case for this vehicle. All QC was spent doing provisioning, eating and sightseeing.

Approximately half of quick charging was done on NACS using my Lectron and the other half was EA.
Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_3244

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_3239

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_3179

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_3168

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_2918

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_2752

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_2551

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_2518

Ford F-150 Lightning Northern Washington to Big Sur CA and Back - 3100mi Trip Report in 2023 SR XLT w/Camper IMG_2395
Sponsored

Last edited:

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
Looks like great trip. You went through Elk (Greenwood) CA! Shhhhh, don't tell anyone else about it. There's not much you can't do in a '23 SR today. Imagine what it's going to be like 5 years from now

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Thanks for the report, and we're impressed by your trip. Did you turn around at the slide that blocks Highway 1 in Big Sur?

Also, any luck with the free level 2 chargers at so many state parks between Eureka and the Bay Area? Or are they still there and usable?

When I was younger, my family camped in an Alaskan very similar to that. Certainly never had a truck like that, though! (Ours was on an old International Harvester.) I think we even had the same sort of aero doughnut atop the cab.

I shall now forget about the paper that came with our new XLT SR that says slide-in campers are "NOT RECOMMENDED." Someone clearly knows better and has the proof.

Way cool...

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
A couple of weeks ago we took our 23 SR XLT with our 1973, 1900 pound Alaskan Cabover camper on a 3100 mile trip from Port Townsend Washington to Big Sur California, and back, stayed on the coastal beaches the entire way down. 101 and HY 1 have maximum speeds of 55 along the route. We dry camped 2-3 nights away from RV parks followed by one night in parks with 30-50 amp service Or hit a quick charger. The 50 amp CG refilled the rig and provide all hotel electrical needs over night, the 30 amp services provided all hotel loads and tended to add between 30-50 miles depending on our stay duration. We took I 5 north utilizing QC much more based on speeds and distances covered.
After 3125 miles our driving Average was 1.6 MPKW
this included
3% to truck cab climate use
85% route
7% Accessories including, lighting, phone charging, induction cooking, water heating, electric barbecuing, heat pump and refrigeration.
5% Exterior temperatures, 65 deg ave on coast, 100 avg on the I-5 corridor.
we stayed in hotels 7 times over 30 days, and 7 days at CG with electrical service.

The QC invoice total was $616.48
at current gas prices and a loaded F150 with camper consumption of 12.5 MPG
it would have cost $1092.50 not including any Propaine or gas for a generator, that would be required to have the same standard of living as my family of 3 experienced.

This was a fantastic use case for this vehicle. All QC was spent doing provisioning, eating and sightseeing.

Approximately half of quick charging was done on NACS using my Lectron and the other half was EA.
IMG_3244.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3179.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2395.jpeg
Great photos, we hope you had an amazing adventure!

OP
OP
Mort

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the report, and we're impressed by your trip. Did you turn around at the slide that blocks Highway 1 in Big Sur?

Also, any luck with the free level 2 chargers at so many state parks between Eureka and the Bay Area? Or are they still there and usable?

When I was younger, my family camped in an Alaskan very similar to that. Certainly never had a truck like that, though! (Ours was on an old International Harvester.) I think we even had the same sort of aero doughnut atop the cab.

I shall now forget about the paper that came with our new XLT SR that says slide-in campers are "NOT RECOMMENDED." Someone clearly knows better and has the proof.

Way cool...
We drove right up to the road closed barricades, turned around and drove to Nepenthe and had a beautiful birthday dinner for my wife!
because of the crazy covid era booking system we were only able to stay in two state parks. I did not notice any level two EVSE‘s we only used NMEA 14-50 and 14-30 outlets.

I thought my daughter drew that picture and put it in my glove box as a joke 😂

were approaching 6000 miles with the cabover, however we had to go with a heavier sidewall tire. Airbags are not available yet for less than $3500.00

Last edited:

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Great report!
What is that cabinet looking thing to the left of the picnic table? You weren’t hauling that were you?

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Nice looking old Alaskan camper, so popular in the PNW in its day that many looked beat-up 20 years ago. Great to see you having fun with it. Do you use a forklift to install and remove?

OP
OP
Mort

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Great report!
What is that cabinet looking thing to the left of the picnic table? You weren’t hauling that were you?
That is a bear proof food and garbage locker. They are located in the state campgrounds around lake Shasta.

OP
OP
Mort

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nice looking old Alaskan camper, so popular in the PNW in its day that many looked beat-up 20 years ago. Great to see you having fun with it. Do you use a forklift to install and remove?
yes, I do use a fork truck to move the camper around. I built up the unit with 1 inch of insulation and a fork pocket that acts as storage when on the truck.

They are still building Alaskans today.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I recall taking a similar trip from Phoenix, AZ up 101/Hwy 1 to the Redwood National Forest one summer. We didn't have a camper and had to stay at hotels, but it was an amazing trip and a very fond memory from when I was a kid. Your trips are making me jealous! Now I need to do some planning, my kiddos would love to do something similar.
Sponsored