• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Overheated bed camera

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I saw a similar issue on the ford 14th gen forums as well. If the bed camera (the one next to the reverse lights on top of the rear glass). If you park your truck facing the sun and it’s hot, the display on the truck shows a blue screen or rainbow lines. If it’s cooled down again it works.

I’m going to take this to the dealer soon but you guys should check on your camera too.

Ford F-150 Lightning Overheated bed camera IMG_3046
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I saw a similar issue on the ford 14th gen forums as well. If the bed camera (the one next to the reverse lights on top of the rear glass). If you park your truck facing the sun and it’s hot, the display on the truck shows a blue screen or rainbow lines. If it’s cooled down again it works.

I’m going to take this to the dealer soon but you guys should check on your camera too.

IMG_3046.jpeg
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
Thanks for posting about the heat. I hadn't thought of that, but I do park towards the sun much of the day. I was wondering if the issue was water intrusion related, but I guess heat makes sense.

What did you end up doing?
I also found myself directed to the Gen14 forums here.

After dealing with the issue intermittently for several thousand miles, I waited until the camera was failing most of the time. My displayed showed the solid blue screen most of the time, but it also occasionally showed the black screen with rainbow lines shown below.

Ford F-150 Lightning Overheated bed camera Truck Bed Camera

After a few trips to the dealership, they replaced the camera.

1. First trip to the dealer, they did a software update. Camera worked until I was 1 mile away from the dealership.
2. Second trip to the dealer, I showed the service advisor the failure in real time, and we inspected the outside of the camera -- tap, wiggle, bump ... no change to failure. Dealer ordered replacement camera.
3. Third trip to the dealer installed new camera. Details from report:

Code: B152E:08
No related TSB or SSM found.
Referred to workshop and performed ppt N - N1 YES, N2 YES, N3 YES, N4 YES, N5 YES, N7 NO, N8 YES, N9 YES, N10 YES, N11 NO, N12 YES, N13 YES, N14 YES. (Whatever all that means).
Replacement of high mounted camera.

Billed under warranty: $383.

OP
OP
MichaelCA

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for posting about the heat. I hadn't thought of that, but I do park towards the sun much of the day. I was wondering if the issue was water intrusion related, but I guess heat makes sense.

After dealing with the issue intermittently for several thousand miles, I waited until the camera was failing most of the time. My displayed showed the solid blue screen most of the time, but it also occasionally showed the black screen with rainbow lines shown below.

Truck Bed Camera.jpg

1. First trip to the dealer, they did a software update. Camera worked until I was 1 mile away from the dealership.
2. Second trip to the dealer, I showed the service advisor the failure in real time, and we inspected the outside of the camera -- tap, wiggle, bump ... no change to failure. Dealer ordered replacement camera.

Referred to workshop and performed ppt N - N1 YES, N2 YES, N3 YES, N4 YES, N5 YES, N7 NO, N8 YES, N9 YES, N10 YES, N11 NO, N12 YES, N13 YES, N14 YES. (Whatever all that means).

They diagnosed, I took it home and had it replaced the next day after they overnighted the part. Under warranty no out of pocket

OP
OP
MichaelCA

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Truck Bed Camera.jpg

Why were u billed under warranty?

Sponsored

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why were u billed under warranty?
I wasn't. I should've said that differently. That's the cost that the dealership submitted to Ford for the warranty repair. I'm assuming it's the amount it would have cost me to repair if I wasn't under warranty.

Stevie Wonder

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT, 2018 F-150 Lariat
Thank you for the tip about this intermittent failure being heat-related. The bed camera on our 2023 XLT Lightning has been on again/off again since delivery on 5/27/24 but I had never made the connection to the outdoor temperature. I checked it over the weekend just after washing the truck and the camera feed was fine. Then after reading this thread, that makes perfect sense since it was morning (relatively cool) and I had just hosed down the truck with cold water.
Had my wife check the bed camera feed this afternoon before she left work. Ambient temp was 108 F and the camera did not work then, nor when she arrived home. I just checked it at 19:35 (ambient 82 F) and it is working again. DTC in memory is B152E:08-28 Rear Camera 2. Now that I have a better direction in which to focus, I will collect a few more data points & then share with the dealership when I call for a repair appointment.

OP
OP
MichaelCA

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the tip about this intermittent failure being heat-related. The bed camera on our 2023 XLT Lightning has been on again/off again since delivery on 5/27/24 but I had never made the connection to the outdoor temperature. I checked it over the weekend just after washing the truck and the camera feed was fine. Then after reading this thread, that makes perfect sense since it was morning (relatively cool) and I had just hosed down the truck with cold water.
Had my wife check the bed camera feed this afternoon before she left work. Ambient temp was 108 F and the camera did not work then, nor when she arrived home. I just checked it at 19:35 (ambient 82 F) and it is working again. DTC in memory is B152E:08-28 Rear Camera 2. Now that I have a better direction in which to focus, I will collect a few more data points & then share with the dealership when I call for a repair appointment.
I’m glad you guys found the thread and caught on. Don’t want anyone to pay for this out of pocket!

Sponsored

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No drop-outs for me so far. I'll watch closely and report back, if I do. And, in terms of ambient temp, I'm in central Florida.

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still working well for me since installation of the replacement camera.
Sponsored