• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
Yeah can’t get with one pedal. in the event, it doesn’t slow down enough or you time wrong or whatever and you need to apply the brakes quick that split second from gas to brake can be an accident. I’m good. I’ll let go of the electrons and have my foot over the pedal to stop my 6700lb truck 😂
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
in 48,000 miles, and 1/2 of that while towing our camper, I stay in SPORT Mode 99% of the time, even while towing...

now, I've had original Nissan LEAFS, and grown accustomed to differing REGEN and 1pd settings.
I've had the "1/2 electric" Kia Sorento Plug-in HYBRID, with steering wheel paddles, but that only provided TRANSMISSION shifting - nothing that really affects the REGEN.
My two youngest sons have Chevy BOLTS, both with steering wheel REGEN paddles, and they work great.
My wife's newest Kia EV9 has those same type of REGEN paddles, and we love it. You can also bring the REGEN down to "1pd" mode, rather than 1pd mode being something on it's own.

SPORT mode, to me, creates the 'best of both worlds' for driving, whether on the road, or in town. It uses MUCH LESS of the physical braking, much MORE Regen when coming off the pedal, and you can still deploy 1pd mode on top of that, though I choose not to, in most cases. There have been a few times I've used 1pd mode, when in thick traffic thru ATLANTA, but, for the most part, if you leave CRUISE CONTROL to do your 'dirty' work, it will do all of the stop and go for you, for the most part. My wife's Kia EV9 does a SUPERB job of this, even more.

I find that this heavy truck rolls too easy, too far, and too fast, when in NORMAL mode.
I find that TOW MODE is not quite the level of REGEN I wish for.

I will say, though, that this thread's HEADLINE is a little misleading, as 'traditional' does not apply to us EVs, like it might seem for TRANSMISSION-based vehicles. We have DRIVE MODES to apply. We have REGEN to consider. Neither of those apply to 'traditional' driving.
And, since 1pd Mode can be APPLIED to NORMAL or SPORT Modes, it complicates the question even more.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The more I learn about how other EV's work, I am convinced that conditioning drivers to never use the brake pedal else they will suffer efficiency loses is going to lead to accidents as they are not training their muscle memory to use the brake pedal to stop.

That is why I think Ford's blended braking on the brake pedal is the best solution. You can use the brake pedal all the time, and 99% of the time you are only using regen to stop. The brake coach even shows you how to make sure you are staying efficient. But if you need more braking, your foot is already on the brake and you can get into the friction brakes without any delay or having to think about it.