'Preparing for drive at home' message

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Temperature in WI hit 21f. Looked at my Ford Pass app and says "preparing for drive at home". Emporia app shows it just started pulling 8.8kw. I only charge to 85, battery shows 85, so it must be pulling power to heat the battery. I don't have any departure times set. I've kept it plugged in because yesterday it gave me a message saying it's cold out and to plug it in. Something new I learned, thought I'd share. :)

Ford F-150 Lightning 'Preparing for drive at home' message Screenshot_20231125_012924_FordPass
Ford F-150 Lightning 'Preparing for drive at home' message Screenshot_20231125_012916_Emporia Energy
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, that is exactly what it is doing. See how long it runs. With my Mach-E, sessions were 15 minutes.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Interesting to see this protective warming happening in the middle of the night.

I keep my truck in the garage which is not directly heated, but my motorcycle shop is modestly heated ~40 degrees, they are separated by a cinder block wall and open rafters above, there might be just enough heat flow between the two spaces to keep the Lightning comfortable, I did not see any protective heating happening on my Emporia log file.

I'm in the habit of replenishing my prior days driving early in the mornings to optimize battery warming to prepare for charging with mid morning travels.

After Thanksgiving travel day of 157 miles and depletion from 90% to 20%, it took the FCSP 5.5 hours to restore 99 KWH of energy Friday early morning which included 15 minutes of remote start.

Then after Friday's driving it only took about 20 KWH, including the 15 min. remote start while plugged in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You won't see it until it's much colder, which you may never see. And the only way you will see it is if you LOOK at the app when it's happening, or if you have an intelligent charger that shows you current over time. I can't pull up my old history for my JuiceBoxes (can go back to the beginning for the entire session, but only 6 months for the graph over time), but it was always 15 minutes.

Our garage was at 33 this morning, nothing warmed overnight. As I said you'll see it in the 20s, and it's of course based on battery temperature, not air temperature.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dave70

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
My Lightning lives outside like my old ICE F150 did, they're too big for my garage unfortunately. Now that it's getting colder, I'll start watching the history on the Emporia app to see how often it draws some warming amps.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Using an Emporia Vue2, I can see current over time in resolutions of Sec, Min, Hr's, Day's, Weeks & Year, the data is archived to the cloud viewable from the past at any level.

Ford F-150 Lightning 'Preparing for drive at home' message 1700931918661
Sponsored