• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ProPower and the GOM

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
This weekend tropical storm Ophelia came through North Carolina. On Friday night I went ahead and plugged the truck into my transfer switch in case we lost power. We never did lose power but it did flicker a couple of times just before bedtime so I went ahead and switched over instead of having to get up in the middle of the night to switch. I was plugged into the EVSE and had finished charging back to my normal 80% before I switched. I noticed a couple of interesting things.

First, when I switched on ProPower the truck starting charging at full power for a few minutes. Then it seemed to drop down and pull just about enough from the charger to run the ProPower. When I checked my charge in the morning I was still at 80% so it did not use any battery to keep the ProPower running. It seems that if you supply power to the charger and use the power from the ProPower you basically turn the truck into a very large UPS.

The other thing I noticed is that using ProPower affected the GOM. Usually at 80% my GOM shows about 180 miles (SR battery) but after running ProPower all night it was only showing 158 miles. The software really shouldn't use any zero mile trips to calculate the GOM numbers. I've got a road trip next weekend and this is going to make my estimates even less accurate. If @Ford Motor Company would give us a generator mode in the software it could prevent this and improve the accuracy of the GOM.

The screenshot shows the power supplied to the truck. I only drove a couple of miles on Friday so the initial charge on the left was only a few minutes. When it turns on again is when I was getting the truck started and making the switch. After the switch (the vertical line) the power drops and starts to mirror what the house was using.
Ford F-150 Lightning ProPower and the GOM IMG_0397
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If I could shut off the GOM, I would.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner

The other thing I noticed is that using ProPower affected the GOM. Usually at 80% my GOM shows about 180 miles (SR battery) but after running ProPower all night it was only showing 158 miles. The software really shouldn't use any zero mile trips to calculate the GOM numbers.
I'm confused: you think that the truck SHOULDN'T give you a NEW approximate range figure AFTER you've used ProPower 'all night'...(although you don't mention how much)...

If the ProPower consumed battery power, you obviously will have LESS miles to travel.

If the truck was plugged in to the charger, at the same time the ProPower was being used, then you can certainly 'think' or 'assume' that the charging then MUST be replacing your battery usage, but that MAY not be the case.
How much KWH did you use from the truck's ProPower 'all night'??
How much did the charger provide to the truck during that time, if ANY?

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I also think you are putting too much confidence in the 'guess-o-meter' and should concentrate only on the 'mile p/kwh' meter: if you 'normally' get 2.8m p/kwh, then go with that.. it really doesn't matter what the guess-o-meter says, regardless of whether you used the ProPower the night before, or two weeks before.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
The GOM means very little, what I'm confused about in your description is that you "switched over" to lightning power. unless you have a very dangerous setup, power to the EVSE was severed and your lighting shouldn't be charging at all. ????

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The GOM means very little, what I'm confused about in your description is that you "switched over" to lightning power. unless you have a very dangerous setup, power to the EVSE was severed and your lighting shouldn't be charging at all. ????
If the backed up loads are in a separate subpanel on a transfer switch, what he’s describing can be done safely.

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I only have 8 circuits on the transfer switch. Everything else (including the EVSE) stay on grid power. If power had gone out my refrigerator and most of my lighting circuits would have stayed on. I understand that the GOM is a guess, I’m just saying it could be a better guess if it didn’t factor in ProPower usage when not driving.

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I also think you are putting too much confidence in the 'guess-o-meter' and should concentrate only on the 'mile p/kwh' meter: if you 'normally' get 2.8m p/kwh, then go with that.. it really doesn't matter what the guess-o-meter says, regardless of whether you used the ProPower the night before, or two weeks before.
I put very little confidence in the GOM but it would be more accurate if they did not factor in ”generator” usage.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I put very little confidence in the GOM but it would be more accurate if they did not factor in ”generator” usage.
It would be most accurate if it didn’t exist.

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I'm confused: you think that the truck SHOULDN'T give you a NEW approximate range figure AFTER you've used ProPower 'all night'...(although you don't mention how much)...

If the ProPower consumed battery power, you obviously will have LESS miles to travel.

If the truck was plugged in to the charger, at the same time the ProPower was being used, then you can certainly 'think' or 'assume' that the charging then MUST be replacing your battery usage, but that MAY not be the case.
How much KWH did you use from the truck's ProPower 'all night'??
How much did the charger provide to the truck during that time, if ANY?
The SOC was 80% and the GOM was at 180 when I switched. The next morning the SOC was still 80% but the GOM was showing 158. I’m pretty sure I could drive the same distance with 80% SOC before or after running the house overnight. My point is that the truck did not use any battery power but the GOM calculation factored in a zero mile trip that did consume energy.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I wrote this in another thread, but it applies here:

From nearly six years of driving a Focus Electric, it appears that the GOM works by combining current conditions with recent history, with a heavier weighting on the most recent events. In other words, the last mile you drove has more significance than possibly the 10 miles before that, which is possibly more significant than the 100 before that, give or take.

In the end, the GOM is in the same group with weather forecasts.
;)

For the Lightning, "recent history" likely included Pro Power use in addition to actual driving.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Have you driven the truck after the PPOB testing?
Curious to see that the range estimate will revive to the 180 mile guesstimate in the first 5-10 miles of your trip.