• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rear window stuck won’t go back up

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range Battery
I was driving with my family with all the windows open and when we were going to start to hit the highway I started putting the windows up but for some reason the passenger rear window would not roll up. I thought maybe it had the child lock but after hitting all the buttons it would not come up. I pulled over and it makes a sound like it is trying to roll up but it can’t. There does not appear to be anything obstructing the window from going up. I tried several troubleshooting techniques but I don’t think this is bounce back as it just is stuck in the open position.

Anyone have any advice? I will be happy to just get this thing closed until i can get to the dealer but I’m traveling right now so this makes it extra annoying.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5500
Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I was driving with my family with all the windows open and when we were going to start to hit the highway I started putting the windows up but for some reason the passenger rear window would not roll up. I thought maybe it had the child lock but after hitting all the buttons it would not come up. I pulled over and it makes a sound like it is trying to roll up but it can’t. There does not appear to be anything obstructing the window from going up. I tried several troubleshooting techniques but I don’t think this is bounce back as it just is stuck in the open position.

Anyone have any advice? I will be happy to just get this thing closed until i can get to the dealer but I’m traveling right now so this makes it extra annoying.

IMG_5500.jpeg
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Others have had this issue. I believe its a bad switch or relay that the dealer needs to replace. The motor gets engaged in the on position and gets really hot if it is the same problem.

Here is a temporary workaround to roll it up on the ICE forum
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/rear-passenger-window-won’t-roll-up-anymore.11485/post-376421
Thank you for this guide! It worked! I just need it up for now until I can get it to the dealership. Only part I didn’t do because I wasn’t sure how to was disconnect the motor. I wish there were clearer instructions on that part but for now this works.

Also, for the wire I had an old router I was going to throw away so I grabbed the power plug cable and cut it. I then stripped it down to 2 wires so I could do the trick.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5502

Last edited:

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
The root cause of the problem is the driver's side master switch is busted.
Other threads advise carrying a spare master switch ($40-$50), since the replacement (that's what the warranty work a dealers will be) is also likely to fail down the road.

I also made out of card stock a little cover for the rear windows on the master switch. I find that I frequently accidentally activate them when attempting to lower the side-passenger window. This should minimize the unnecessary wear on those buttons, which are so prone to failure.

I'll post a picture later.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update - I remote started the truck because it’s hot outside and all was good until I started the truck and the window rolled down again on its own. I’ll have to redo everything except this time I’ll post some pics and it’s a must to disconnect the motor. I’m just not sure where that is and what to look for.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I had to redo all the steps to make the window go back up since it rolled itself down as soon as I stated the truck. However, this time I disconnected the motor so it won’t do that again. Here’s some pics.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5503

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5504

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5506

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5508

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear window stuck won’t go back up IMG_5507

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same issue and followed the instructions and window is up. Thank you!
On one hand I’m glad you were able to get it rolled back up but on the other this is not good. I may have to carry my rig of the cables and wrench in my truck in case it happens again. I take my truck in next week to get serviced we’ll see what they officially diagnose.

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
On one hand I’m glad you were able to get it rolled back up but on the other this is not good. I may have to carry my rig of the cables and wrench in my truck in case it happens again. I take my truck in next week to get serviced we’ll see what they officially diagnose.
This is the way... ;-) but yes I am scheduled for service next week too.
Sponsored