Replacement of Antenna

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
On my KR, the back of cab antennas are 77.6” tall; both by Ford spec and by my measurement.
I cut 9.5’“ off of my FM antenna, it is now 22-1/2” tall from base of the antenna itself to tip; it is now at the same height as the aft antennas.
If my FM antenna gets close to contacting any overhead structures, I will stop!
The full length antenna is optimized for FM radio, lower end of the band. I was able to qualitatively test my shortened, 22.5” antenna. I regularly travel into rural Wisconsin, and in rolling hills 170 miles from the big city, my FM station at 91.1 MHz would get weak with static. My short antenna gets fuzzy at about 150 miles, surprisingly little effect for radically de-tuning.

Note that the spiral wire on a factory antenna is an aerodynamic spoiler to prevent antenna galloping / whipping at high speed. The spiral wire is welded at the ends only and needs to be secured if you shorten the antenna. I used a 1/8” Du-Bro model airplane landing gear collar, filed an angled groove inside to accommodate the spiral wire. The collar goes on with a set screw, and a dab of black paint blends it in. Also blunts the end for safety!
Ford F-150 Lightning Replacement of Antenna E2B24478-8C84-406B-B212-331E4B6A4CB4
Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Yep. I stream probably 99% of the time. Heck, I’m not really even using the 3 month Sirius/XM free subscription.
I never knew I had Sirius till it expired and got a notice.
Dealer never mentioned it.
I wouldn't have used it anyway.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, FX4, 2.7EB
I never knew I had Sirius till it expired and got a notice.
Dealer never mentioned it.
I wouldn't have used it anyway.
That’s really interesting that your dealer never mentioned it; however, it’s mostly an automatic feature now with new vehicles, so maybe it has become an afterthought.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
That’s really interesting that your dealer never mentioned it; however, it’s mostly an automatic feature now with new vehicles, so maybe it has become an afterthought.
Bought it on the phone, drove 100 miles to get it.
I wasn't at the dealers 20 minutes.
Guess they forgot about it.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, FX4, 2.7EB
Bought it on the phone, drove 100 miles to get it.
I wasn't at the dealers 20 minutes.
Guess they forgot about it.
You’re gonna have to teach me your 20 minute trick. Any time I buy a new vehicle it never seems less than 2 hours. I hate it.

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
You’re gonna have to teach me your 20 minute trick. Any time I buy a new vehicle it never seems less than 2 hours. I hate it.
Not sure why it went so easy.
I did no financing so that cut down on time spent.
They didn't try to sale me any extras, I was in and out.
He went over a few basics with me and I was gone.
Small country town.

JEH177

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC STX 4x4 Agate Black
Occupation
Retired
This antenna in the f150 is only for am/fm radio frequencies. It has two more antenas on the roof for satellite and data
My 21 STX 4x4 does not have an antenna on top, but I do have a data plan. I don't have gps stock, so no antenna for that either. Is the antenna for that internal? And maybe someone can answer this. Why do they not switch to making the antenna internal.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
Interesting - only because on my FJ Cruiser, the "old style" whip antenna was the same height as the top rail on the roof rack. Acted as a parking garage "ceiling finder". If the antenna hit, you knew to start backing up.

Are you guys indicating that the F150 whip antenna is actually higher than the highest point of the cab??
Yes, my antenna hit the beams in a parking garage last week.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
For my last few car purchases, I test drive first. I call from home and I tell the salesman I want contactless sales and delivery. Most do this now as a Covid precaution. All the paperwork is done in advance and I just sign. My last 2 purchases have been great, a Subaru and an MME brought to my driveway, and I sign and they go. It's fast because no one want to wait at my home as much as I don't want to wait in their dealership.

Love not sitting in the waiting room. :)

I'm doing this for my Lightning a bit different. My wife and I are taking the train 100 miles to the dealership, picking up the Lightning with paperwork complete, tags on, etc. Staying in town for a day for sightseeing and driving home refreshed the next day.
Sponsored