• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silverado RST EV: Post Test Drive Review by LER Owner

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
This same review will be posted on the Lightning and Silverado forums.

I'll preempt this review with a few things. One, I have no attachments to EV or ICE vehicles. I look for value and driving experiences, and accept each has their trade-offs. Two, the Lightning extended range was my first and is my only EV. Three, I was excited for the Silverado based on my experience with my LER and more so for the massive range of the SER compared to my LER.

Sunday I got my wife and 3 small kids with 2 boosters and one car seat into the Silverado EV RST for a test drive. We drove our Lightning ER there to have a back to back comparison.

SUMMARY: It's a great truck, but for me and my values it didn't hit the way I fully expected it would. At equal pricing with the Lightning, with a moderate surcharge for extended range, I'd consider, but no longer feel as strong an urge to spend extra.

LONG REVIEW:

EXTERIOR: Not much to say. Great looking truck. Frunk not as good as LER, but acceptably close. I miss GM's fold down step on the tailgate, but again LER has a pull out step. Not much to dwell on here. I personally like the rear plug, but in my world, everyone backs-in to park.

INTERIOR: It feels sporty. The screens are sharper in contrast to my LER. However, I couldn't put my finger on it, but the instrument panel maybe seemed small to me. I miss GM's smaller steering wheel compared to Ford's massive one. I REALLY miss the nice HUD GM offers along with the camera rearview mirror that Ford doesn't offer. Spacious rear seating area, almost like a 3/4 ton interior. APATHETIC WIFE INPUT: She immediately commented (first thing she said when she got in) on missing door storage (mid pocket), less dash storage (RST has an open air pocket), and lack of rear underseat storage. I know the midgate is the reason for this, but in a weird way, I think I would prefer a flat floor rear seat area like Ford's than a midgate after further consideration.

TECH: Google Maps was snappier than the one on my refreshed 2022 Denali, so I was happy about that. I'm still concerned about a lack of CarPlay, but that topic has been beaten to death. Supercruise... not going to lie, I'm starting to think Blue Cruise is better. This part is a big deal to me due to lots of driving. Ford's lane centering makes up for any areas without BC, Supercruise only engages on certain roads, otherwise you get the bumper lanes. I do like the steering wheel SC setup better than Ford, but geez, give us some lane centering especially for the roads where SC isn't available. I like the center console screen, pretty snappy. Also love that the button to remove one pedal driving is on the main screen. My wife hates it, I love it. So when we switch it's easy to access the button.

DRIVING: This is where SER starts to lose me. I assumed all EV's drove like a Lightning or Model 3, my only experiences in an EV. The acceleration felt a little lackluster to me. My LER is plain fast, but even my prior 6.2L Denali pickup felt snappier. I can't explain it. I don't care about GM's WTF mode, because I want to feel the torque in my daily driving, not by activating it at a red light. Even my prior F250 felt more like a torque monster once it was off the line. Second, it was surprisingly noisy in the cabin at speed. I'd had a short drive in an EV Hummer, and honestly it was about as noisy. My Ford is silent on the road. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did. It does drive like a smaller vehicle, and my wife had nothing to report when she drove it; which is good as she's apathetic about cars. She did note the noise though.

A GEAR HEAD'S CONCLUSION: I don't have any brand loyalties, but tend to lean towards GM products. I kept trying to sort out my feelings on the SEV, and continued to come back to, "it's worth it for the range". Take away the extra range though, and what do you have? Without the luxury sports car feel, I realize I could just buy an ICE truck that offers a somewhat similar driving experience for less, and get the range. It's hard to justify an extra $27k for 100 miles of range and a HUD. If I'm being honest, I've concluded that if Ford kept the driving experience of the LER, but added a HUD and a 100 miles of range I would stay with Ford. If I take away 100 miles of range from GM; all else being equal, I'm not so sure I'd buy the GM product like I assumed I would prior to this drive. If anything I appreciate the driving experience Ford created with their Lightning after my test drive. Further, In a weird way, this may have actually boosted my interest in the CT w/ range extender if it drives more like the LER than the SER; but then again can't fit 3 kid seats on the bench... *sigh* Trade-offs.
Sponsored

Dallas

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 KR PB
Thanks for your thorough review. I have considered test driving one as I am in a similar situation to you with 3 small kids- I probably won't after reading this. The appeal of the open air back window seems nice on paper but looks impractical with the amount of setup time needed to remove it. I don't see that being an easy task with anchored car seats.

I will never understand the fascination with HUDs. I've had 10+ cars that had HUD displays, and the novelty wears off after the drive home from the dealership. They don't display much info, they don't work correctly with polarized sunglasses, and they sometimes block things in the road- or at least cause you to pay less attention to that area of the road (think smaller road debris). They remind me of having a full map display in the instrument panel- super cool at first but then they become useless in a sense. I certainly wouldn't trade out of a car just to gain a HUD. Not to mention the dash looks stupid where the projector is.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for your thorough review. I have considered test driving one as I am in a similar situation to you with 3 small kids- I probably won't after reading this. The appeal of the open air back window seems nice on paper but looks impractical with the amount of setup time needed to remove it. I don't see that being an easy task with anchored car seats.

I will never understand the fascination with HUDs. I've had 10+ cars that had HUD displays, and the novelty wears off after the drive home from the dealership. They don't display much info, they don't work correctly with polarized sunglasses, and they sometimes block things in the road- or at least cause you to pay less attention to that area of the road (think smaller road debris). They remind me of having a full map display in the instrument panel- super cool at first but then they become useless in a sense. I certainly wouldn't trade out of a car just to gain a HUD. Not to mention the dash looks stupid where the projector is.
To your first point I agree. Now that you mention it, the likelihood of using that more than once or twice a year is minimal, whereas using the full interior cabin space with a flat floor is more likely on a regular basis.

To the HUD value. I'm a very active driver. A lot of monitoring and looking around. That's on long trips as well. I don't like having to repeatedly look down to check my speed. On my really long trips, where it's dark, I'm tired, and a little drowsy; the repeated looking down for my speed check adds to the strain. It sounds minimal, but I like to have the edge on these things. It's a nice to have when adjusting cruise; which I frequently do with adaptive cruise. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a strong sales point.

Forgot to add that GM gets the edge on towing. Much better towing tech in the GM's.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
I've got a HUD in my Hyundai Palisade, and got to say it is one of the things I wish Ford had included in the Lightning; after all my Lariat costs nearly double the Palisade. The other major wish is the blind spot monitor camera that activates in your instrument cluster when you turn on a blinker, both cool and functional.

I keep waiting on the below to actually be released, which might fix the HUD need, although its not as clean as an integrated OEM solution:

HUDWAY DRIVE PRO

Sponsored
OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I've got a HUD in my Hyundai Palisade, and got to say it is one of the things I wish Ford had included in the Lightning; after all my Lariat costs nearly double the Palisade. The other major wish is the blind spot monitor camera that activates in your instrument cluster when you turn on a blinker, both cool and functional.

I keep waiting on the below to actually be released, which might fix the HUD need, although its not as clean as an integrated OEM solution:

HUDWAY DRIVE PRO
Agree with all of the above. Part of the reason I’m moving forward with the F150 PB is that they finally added the HUD to the 2024 model F150.

Btw I looked at the Hudway, I wouldn’t send any money yet. I ordered assuming it was about to be in production. Looked up more reviews and found lots of buyers still waiting on a product and upset demanding refunds. I panicked and requested a refund, but was responded with a comment about it requiring 5 weeks or so to process. I ended it up contesting it with my cc to get my money back. I just looked and it’s now delayed for October on the website vs around June when I ordered earlier this year.

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
I think you're underselling range. That's the main reason people are excited for the Silverado EV.

Hopefully the finishes get sorted out because competition is a good thing and the better the competition the better the vehicle no matter which brand you get.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I think you're underselling range. That's the main reason people are excited for the Silverado EV.

Hopefully the finishes get sorted out because competition is a good thing and the better the competition the better the vehicle no matter which brand you get.
Not at all, literally range was all I could think about when I first heard this was coming. However, at the price I started to realize how crazy it was that I was seriously considering spending a fortune to get range when all I'd have to do is buy a fully loaded top trim ICE pickup, save $20k, and get all the range I want. Then, as I mentioned, I didn't get that same sporty torque feel you get in the Lightning, which is what really sold me on EV trucks; and it left me feeling less excited about it. Don't get me wrong, amazing truck; but $100k truck when compared to 1/2 or 3/4 ton Sierra Denali trims for less? Or Hummer EV for a little more; removes the no brainer aspect..

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
The lack of carplay is the single dealbreaker for me. I'm still waiting for GM to walk that one back.
Sponsored