Sponsored

Study: (European) EV drivers more likely to be at fault in crashes (Green Car Reports)

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1144629_study-ev-drivers-more-likely-to-be-at-fault-in-crashes

It is known that Tesla has higher accident rates and repairs cost more, but that's not comparing all EVs (AFAIK)

I think I drive more carefully (than my old ICE Murano) since I got my Lightning, but maybe that is just driving a big heavy truck. I wonder if I get a SUV or sedan EV if that will be the case too, or not.
Likely I'm going to get a second EV soon-ish - maybe a 2025 Ioniq 5, so I will keep all this in mind.

Anyone else cognizant of your own driving patterns (or as critiqued by your spouse šŸ˜‰)

"Driver behaviour studies comparing ICE to EVs reveal that single-
pedal usage and increased acceleration exhibit different or altered
driving behaviours in drivers of EVs (Labeye et al., 2016). Therefore, we
investigated whether risky driving behaviour profiles diverged according
to vehicle fuel type (EV, HYB, ICE), such as harsh acceleration,
braking manoeuvres, harsh cornering, and speeding violations. Table 3
contains the median values for each harsh manoeuvre group. Comparing
the median values of the distributions of harsh manoeuvres reveals that
EVs have fewer harsh events than ICE but record more harsh events than
HYBs for cornering, acceleration, and braking. However, the harsh acceleration
averages for EV and ICE differ only by 0.03. EV drivers have
the lowest median value of each speeding distribution, with a value of
0.14. HYBs and ICE score 0.16 and 0.2, respectively. HYBs have the
lowest median values for all other harsh event distributions; conversely,
ICEs record the highest median values."

The table below on harsh maneuvers doesn't seem like a huge indictment of EVs but, you, know, "statistics"...
Ford F-150 Lightning Study: (European) EV drivers more likely to be at fault in crashes (Green Car Reports) 1728244122206-oe

"These results indicate that the driving profiles of each group differ significantly, with HYBs consistently showing the most significant change. EVs share similar characteristics (particularly in harsh acceleration) to ICE but demonstrate fewer harsh events overall, with HYBs having the fewest harsh driving events per trip...
Our model identifies EVs as having a statistically significant different risk profile against a reference value of ICE. These results mean EVs are more likely to experience an at-fault claim than ICE."
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
ā€œā€¦the study was conducted by Irish research organization Lero and the University of Limerick. It used telematics data from 125 million commercial fleet vehicle trips with 14,642 vehicles in the Netherlands from January 2022 to October 2022

1. I donā€™t think there was a large variety of EVā€˜s in that timeframe but I really donā€™t know what is available in the Netherlands.

2. Commercial vehicles in the Netherlands for a few months.. not sure that would be very relevant to North American drivers?

They are generally more expensive to repair than ICE. I would say that is because there is generally much more tech in an EV.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
ā€œā€¦the study was conducted by Irish research organization Lero and the University of Limerick. It used telematics data from 125 million commercial fleet vehicle trips with 14,642 vehicles in the Netherlands from January 2022 to October 2022

1. I donā€™t think there was a large variety of EVā€˜s in that timeframe but I really donā€™t know what is available in the Netherlands.

2. Commercial vehicles in the Netherlands for a few months.. not sure that would be very relevant to North American drivers?

They are generally more expensive to repair than ICE. I would say that is because there is generally much more tech in an EV.
Interesting study, but I have a hard time taking anything as serious from the University of Limerick ...

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
But the good ones Iā€™ve seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.
Sponsored