First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER / Azure Gray
Occupation
Lab manager
I've read about preconditioning in the winter to warm up the battery, but I was curious if plugging in during summer would pre-cool the battery if needed....and at what temperates it even would be needed. It hasn't been bad so far, but it won't be long till we're in the 90s every day here in VA, so I didn't know if anything will happen in the heat preconditioning wise. Thanks.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, if the battery is too hot it will cool itself while plugged in. As to setting a departure time, the battery would have to be very warm for it to do so. Most people just do a Remote Start.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
When it was 110F+ last summer, sitting in the parking lot all day, I still never saw any loss of SOC. So I'm not sure how hot the battery needs to be to kick on and protect itself. I do know that once I turn on the truck, the A/C kicks on HARD. You'd never know it was an EV with how loud that thing is on full.

EDIT: For reference, the battery temp meter on the dash was about half way between middle and the right hash for the "happy zone" and truck indicated 128F at it's hottest (eventually cooled off to 116 once on the freeway).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
When it was 110F+ last summer, sitting in the parking lot all day, I still never saw any loss of SOC. So I'm not sure how hot the battery needs to be to kick on and protect itself. I do know that once I turn on the truck, the A/C kicks on HARD. You'd never know it was an EV with how loud that thing is on full.

EDIT: For reference, the battery temp meter on the dash was about half way between middle and the right hash for the "happy zone" and truck indicated 128F at it's hottest (eventually cooled off to 116 once on the freeway).
Question was on preconditioning. When plugged in, IF it needs to cool, it's supposed to. And setting a departure time, IF it needs to cool, it's supposed to.

Many of us never see it get hot enough to know if it should be happening.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Question was on preconditioning. When plugged in, IF it needs to cool, it's supposed to. And setting a departure time, IF it needs to cool, it's supposed to.

Many of us never see it get hot enough to know if it should be happening.
Fair enough, to that point my work offers complimentary level 2 chargers that I use from time to time. No sure how to determine if it's cooling the battery or not (I do use a departure time in the summer to precool the truck). The battery meter is pretty much always to the right either way. Now that I've found my OBDII adapter, I can try to take some readings if someone wants to let me know what I should look for. I haven't taken the time yet to figure out all the interesting data points.
Sponsored