First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
Made my first trailer trip last week. I got my lightning in October last year and this annual trip was my only concern. The trip is from the north bay in CA. To the foothills outside of Placerville CA. The trip is around 180 miles lots of hills going east, lots of downhill going west. My travel trailer is around 6k loaded and a little over 9 ft tall. After hearing all of the towing hazards I was prepared for the worst. I went so far as to pre run most of the trip without the trailer to judge the access.( I dont like being lost with my wife and daughters as co pilots.Headed east I started early at 98% charge and made my first stop after about 80 miles before the stores opened. I charged at an EA station for about 40 minutes got to about 90% and headed for the hills. The second stop about 70 miles later was a tesla station. Gosh I wish their cords were just a little longer. Charged to 80% in about 40 minutes and headed the last 30 miles to camp. Easy first leg as I didn't have to unhook. Going back I started at 98% and made only one stop at the EA that I charged at going up. No problems averaged about 1.1 mpkwh and drove between 55 and 60. Because of construction and road conditions that was the limit for everyone. Dont be afraid to tow just plan
Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer trip 20240630_095430
Sponsored

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've towed my 19' GeoPro about 10 times since I got the truck in 2022. Planning and slowing down are the secrets to making it work. I generally average 1.2-1.3 but have had a trip or two at 1.1. While that doesn't sound like a big difference it really can be. I only charge to 80% at DCFC and I don't want to arrive at the next charger at less than 15%, so 1.1 is a range of 98 miles while 1.3 is 116 miles. That 18 miles can be the difference between making it to the next charger. I make it work and love how this truck pull my trailer effortlessly.
Enjoy you travels.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Made my first trailer trip last week. I got my lightning in October last year and this annual trip was my only concern. The trip is from the north bay in CA. To the foothills outside of Placerville CA. The trip is around 180 miles lots of hills going east, lots of downhill going west. My travel trailer is around 6k loaded and a little over 9 ft tall. After hearing all of the towing hazards I was prepared for the worst. I went so far as to pre run most of the trip without the trailer to judge the access.( I dont like being lost with my wife and daughters as co pilots.Headed east I started early at 98% charge and made my first stop after about 80 miles before the stores opened. I charged at an EA station for about 40 minutes got to about 90% and headed for the hills. The second stop about 70 miles later was a tesla station. Gosh I wish their cords were just a little longer. Charged to 80% in about 40 minutes and headed the last 30 miles to camp. Easy first leg as I didn't have to unhook. Going back I started at 98% and made only one stop at the EA that I charged at going up. No problems averaged about 1.1 mpkwh and drove between 55 and 60. Because of construction and road conditions that was the limit for everyone. Dont be afraid to tow just plan
20240630_095430.jpg
What a beauty! 🤩 Thanks for sharing your experience!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've always used the rule, when planning a camper tow, to split my average mi/kwh in HALF... then I should usually be just fine, although conditions and speed along the way, as well as terrain, will determine the final outcome...sometimes a pleasant surprise.

average 2.5 on normal rides,
and use about 1.3-1.4 for planning towing trips

while 'normal' rides might be in the 200-270 mile range,
the towing range is more like 100-140, if stretched, when arriving 'home', where I know I have power.
Towing 'up' to the mountains of N Georgia/N Carolina is one set of numbers, and the return 'down' to west Central Georgia is a better outcome...

also, planning for DC Fast Charging stops brings another calculation into the equation: you'll not really be getting back to 100%, or even 90%, unless under extreme conditions, and you have plenty of 'time' to charge... planning for the 80% Rule from that charger is optimal...
so, 80% @ 1.2 mi/kwh might only be less than 90-95 miles...
Sponsored