Sponsored

Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Problem is, FORD is still thinking old school with this truck which is understandable since they based it on F150 with a lot of tradition. What they need to do is think of this as more of a multi-use utility vehicle. The truck is a collection of major subsystems like:

DRIVETRAIN | DRIVER SCREEN | CENTER SCREEN | PRO POWER | HVAC | INT/EXT LIGHTING | DOORS .... etc.

And they need to have OPERATIONAL MODES that control those subsystems like:

DRIVE | WORK | PLAY | POWERSTATION | CAMP | DOG | SENTRY ... etc.

Switching operational modes changes how all of the subsystems act by default. For example:

DRIVE = just like it works now as a vehicle
WORK = drivetrain disabled, driver screen off (or on, doesn't really matter)
DOG = drivetrain disabled, interior door lock disabled (so dog can't unlock doors), HVAC on and set within 60-80 degree range, center screen shows DOG MODE so passerbys don't break your window
CAMP = drivetrain disabled, driver screen off, center screen and interior lights sleep after 30 seconds (tap to awaken)
POWERSTATION - drivetrain disabled, HVAC off by default, all lights/screens sleep after 30 seconds

If you start the truck with the brake pressed, you start in DRIVE mode. If you don't have brake pressed you start in WORK mode. You can only switch to DRIVE mode with key in the truck. When drivetrain is disabled, shifter folds down automatically.)

Anyway, you guys get the idea. Yes TESLA kind of does these things, but it's sort of piecemeal. FORD could make this concept amazing and they could do some very cool marketing around this too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Problem is, FORD is still thinking old school with this truck which is understandable since they based it on F150 with a lot of tradition. What they need to do is think of this as more of a multi-use utility vehicle. The truck is a collection of major subsystems like:

DRIVETRAIN | DRIVER SCREEN | CENTER SCREEN | PRO POWER | HVAC | INT/EXT LIGHTING | DOORS .... etc.

And they need to have OPERATIONAL MODES that control those subsystems like:

DRIVE | WORK | PLAY | POWERSTATION | CAMP | DOG | SENTRY ... etc.

Switching operational modes changes how all of the subsystems act by default. For example:

DRIVE = just like it works now as a vehicle
WORK = drivetrain disabled, driver screen off
DOG = drivetrain disabled, interior door lock disabled (so dog can't unlock doors), HVAC on and set within 60-80 degree range, center screen shows DOG MODE so passerbys don't break your window
CAMP = drivetrain disabled, driver screen off, center screen and interior lights sleep after 30 seconds (tap to awaken)
POWERSTATION - drivetrain disabled, HVAC off by default, all lights/screens sleep after 30 seconds

If you start the truck with the brake pressed, you start in DRIVE mode. If you don't have brake pressed you start in WORK mode. You can only switch to DRIVE mode with key in the truck.

Anyway, you guys get the idea. Yes TESLA kind of does these things, but it's sort of piecemeal. FORD could make this concept amazing.
This approach makes way too much sense and is terribly simpleā€¦...are you listening @Ford Motor Company ?

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does anyone have a lightning here that they could measure the height of a max size refrigerator/box including the possible indent into the hood of frunk which at least from pictures looks substantial? I believe the first one I ordered was too tall based on some wrong info read on internet so that will have to be returned. However it would work in the bed of truck which seems to be about 22 inches with a tonneau x4s roll up installed. I am seeking max possible height size but also max flexibility as needs change for hauling a 4x8 vs camping vs frunkgating. Would a 20inch height refrig work in frunk as that is next size down from 22ā€ BougeRV purchased?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
as for turning 'off' the driver screen, it's doubtful that a manufacturer would allow that for a vehicle that is 'ON'...but, if Ford is listening, and they want those using ProPower to have that option, then allow the driver screen to be turned off ONLY when in Park.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Does anyone have a lightning here that they could measure the height of a max size refrigerator/box including the possible indent into the hood of frunk which at least from pictures looks substantial? I believe the first one I ordered was too tall based on some wrong info read on internet so that will have to be returned. However it would work in the bed of truck which seems to be about 22 inches with a tonneau x4s roll up installed. I am seeking max possible height size but also max flexibility as needs change for hauling a 4x8 vs camping vs frunkgating. Would a 20inch height refrig work in frunk as that is next size down from 22ā€ BougeRV purchased?
If you give me dimensions of the chest youā€™re wondering over, I might be able to find a good proxy and test fit

But would need not just height but rough depth/length too, as itā€™s an oddly shaped space

Sponsored
OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you give me dimensions of the chest youā€™re wondering over, I might be able to find a good proxy and test fit

But would need not just height but rough depth/length too, as itā€™s an oddly shaped space
Thank you!

Here are three BougeRV models (handles removed):

L x W x H
59qt 22.44" x 15.75" x 22.44" (this one I think will just make it in bed with the X4S tonneau cover)

45qt. 22.44" x 15.75" x 19.94"

35qt. 22.44" x 15.75" x 17.34"

e.g. the 45 quart, I'd remove large handle
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 1663092524031

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Thank you!

Here are three BougeRV models (handles removed):

L x W x H
59qt 22.44" x 15.75" x 22.44" (this one I think will just make it in bed with the X4S tonneau cover)

45qt. 22.44" x 15.75" x 19.94"

35qt. 22.44" x 15.75" x 17.34"

e.g. the 45 quart, I'd remove large handle
1663092524031.png
Iā€™m afraid itā€™s too close to call with even the smallest option you described above. I tried a few bigger boxes such as this 25ā€ X 17.5ā€ X 19.25ā€ and it wouldnā€™t get close to closing.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 15845E88-9E5A-4F16-A8D7-565F33040678

I went way down in size (height-wise) to this box at 24ā€ X 18ā€ X 17.5ā€

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 398EDB02-27B8-478A-96C4-B186C330F998
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 1C8C718D-ABD6-4FBB-B3C3-43FFF675E0C6
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 418548D6-BFA6-432C-834E-5EA0D463100E

Now, this box did allow the frunk to close but I think only by *slightly* compacting the top of the box. I say this because, when I would press the button to *open* the frunk, there was a noticeable initial jump and pop of the lid opening that first inch or so, not present when ordinarily opening the frunk. So, for a box of these lid dimensions and this specific 17.5ā€ height, there is almost no margin for error and in fact ā€œfittingā€ may require an 1/8thā€ or more (?) compression of this box.

Notably, this size and lid shape needed to also be situated *just so* in the frunk, to fit the minor recess in the frunkā€™s upper lid deck, as hopefully shown by these two photos in combination:

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning CD838DAE-ECBD-4EF6-9616-BC50459A00BE
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 4BB7583D-0732-4D95-BA91-67E590657AB7

Accordingly, your smallest posted option above is so close in dimensions, it is likely to require an actual fitment test to find the answer. (Perhaps the good news is, if it does fit, I would not expect it to slide around at all!)

FYI, while I was at this I took a few pictures of the larger box (19.25ā€ tall) in the back of my truck in case helpful to your visualizing fit of the larger unit under a tonneau (bare in mine I have a 1/4-1/3ā€ bed mat down under the box):

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 038B0669-2E70-4730-948B-B798D0214493
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 18D422ED-550C-4594-8323-05B7A1053783

As an aside, not until this had I seen this little molded ā€œEaster eggā€ of two golf bags - Which made me think to myself, ā€œkeep your golf bags away from my pickup truckā€

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 20069674-B5AA-44BB-A384-2D2DE21F9013

Last edited:
OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
@cvalue13, these fridge fitting experiments have been really useful. Thank you so much for doing. Iā€™ll RMA my big one and either will go with the middle size for the bed only or do an actual test with the smallest fridge Since it is so borderline. There are also a few other brands that may be better.

If anyone that has a Lightning has found another brand that works particulally well in frunk please advise.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
@cvalue13, these fridge fitting experiments have been really useful. Thank you so much for doing. Iā€™ll RMA my big one and either will go with the middle size for the bed only or do an actual test with the smallest fridge Since it is so borderline. There are also a few other brands that may be better.

If anyone that has a Lightning has found another brand that works particulally well in frunk please advise.
I saw these posts in a prior thread that might provide you some more ideasā€¦ā€¦..

We found a plug-in fridge/freezer cooler that fits perfectly in the frunk and keeps the diet mountain dew icy cold throughout the drive. Definitely keeps the morale up.
38qt - brand is ā€œBodegaā€ - purchased off Amazon for around $320
I'm assuming it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D96GJJL/ref=twister_B0B7RDWX3Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have the 53 quart version-the 53 quart version is too big to fit in the frunk but sits below the tonneau cover in the bed.

It's a little pricey, but it's the only one I've found that has independently controllable zones, app control and a removable divider between the freezer and fridge compartments.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
9) Are products like BackRack.com recommended for carrying long product that don't fit well because they are too long for the bed? BackRack Original looked pretty simple and works with Tonneau x4S rollup covers and others. Anyone have experience with them or recommend another product that is compatible with tonneau rollups for the occasional long item (e.g ladder, long 2x4s, a kayak...). Basically need something above the cab to be able to lean long items vs leave bed door open.
As mentioned, some heavy nylon ratchet straps or cam-buckle straps will be handy things to have. You will want at least two and preferably four 12' long straps to carry in your truck.

With the 5.5 ft bed, you can just throw 8' and 10' things into the bed, angled with the tailgate still up. Wide things like 4x8 sheet of plywood won't need any other tie down, but for peace of mind, put a strap across the back. Stick lumber, pipe, etc will roll and slide sideways across the tailgate and may figure out a way to jump out of the bed when cornering, so you will want to strap them against one side from the stake pocket down to the inside back corner anchor.

If you regularly carry long ladders and longer lumber, you will want an over-cab rack of some form.

In a pinch, you can put one end of a long ladder or long piece of lumber on the back corner of the cab with some cardboard or a floor mat as padding and angled back down over the top of the tailgate. Strap it down tight. Careful to remember the part sticking up over the top of the cab is there (don't run your ladder into the front of your garage).

You can use some 2x3's to hand-make a frame for the back that fits in the stake pockets. Then use a roof rack or just some padding on the top of the cab. and strap the item down to anchors in the bed or front or rear bumpers. I have hauled canoes that way on top of trucks lots of times. They make foam pads designed to fit on the edges of canoes for this exact purpose. Those foam pads can also work well on ladders.

There is also the old trick if you have a cross-bed toolbox of just wedging longer items under the toolbox at the front of the bed and cantilevered over the tailgate. Make sure the toolbox is actually bolted to the bed sides. Saw some guys with a big 16' micro-lam beam hanging out of a 6.5' truck that way the other day on the road.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022āš”Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I ordered the Alpicooo CF45 which is 18.1" high. Due to the sloping plastic on the hood near the windshield, it just clips the cooler and prevents closing of the trunk. It would work if you moved the cooler forward, but that layout would be weird for semi permanent use.

I swapped it out for the K25.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning PXL_20220912_003322346

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning PXL_20220912_003404487

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning PXL_20220912_003342424

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning PXL_20220912_003335259

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Don't know why everyone is messing around with coolers when all you need is an ice-maker :D

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 JK//2006 1T Silverado/1970 CJ/2023 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Dometic or ARB

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Don't know why everyone is messing around with coolers when all you need is an ice-maker :D
Well if you are thinking of an ice maker, then maybe also a keg and/or wine cooler, electric grill, sous-vide oven, small microwave, big screen or projection TV, and follow-me drone setup to film you testing the Lightning capabilities, andā€¦ a radar detector ;)
Sponsored