• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Using backup camera while rear window blocked by tonneau cover

KDF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I’m 100% sure I’m not the first one to be annoyed by this…

Sometimes I need to drive with the tonneau cover up and/or with load that might be higher than the truck roof.

in these situations, I would love to use the backup camera from the tailgate to keep an eye on upcoming vehicles behind me if I need to slowdown or brake.

While I do understand the backup camera might not provide a full view, why on earth the UI designer put the notification precisely where we would actually need to see vehicles behind us to assess their speed !? I mean there is SO MUCH UNUSED REAL ESTATE on the screen to put proper disclaimers… it’s actually dangerous.

interestingly, this notification is absent when using the cargo bed camera… makes zero sense to me

while we’re at it, it would be awesome to have a “pop out window” of the rear view mirror we could see while using navigation “à la Cybertruck”

anyone feeling the same ?
Anything we can do about it?

Ford F-150 Lightning Using backup camera while rear window blocked by tonneau cover IMG_6886
I
Ford F-150 Lightning Using backup camera while rear window blocked by tonneau cover IMG_6885
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So many people complained about the “Full view not available” message that Ford issued a TSB instructing dealers to tell customers that it’s normal and to do nothing.
In the software world, it’s called a “WADAFU.” Working As Designed, All F*+%ed Up.”

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Yep. Known problem that Ford is aware of and has done nothing to fix.

You can remove that stupid notification box with some configuration changes in Forscan. There's entire threads on it.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
I’m thinking they did it on purpose so you couldn’t use it as a rear camera. Their “commitment” to safety goes beyond absurd sometimes. Also want to use the bed camera by default when the tailgate is down… No use seeing what you already ran over….

Wendy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Saab 96 (dead), Silverado (squished), F150 L
I'm with you on this, why put the box EXACTLY WHERE THE CAR IS BEHIND YOU??? Let me hit "OK", or put the notice way on the top or bottom. I know when I have the window blocked that it's not a 100% replacement for the actual rear view out the window.

I hope FORD is listening to our comments. And next time I'm in the truck I'm going to use their "record your feedback" option and tell them to move or remove the warning!

Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Boy this should be fixed with an OTA update.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
Boy this should be fixed with an OTA update.
How do we get Ford to notice we are unhappy with this stupid (and useless) message?

Also, when using the cargo camera, show maps in the useless area where they show a truck with no info around it.
Sponsored