Sponsored

What is the most accurate way to compute trip efficiency?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm getting a lot of different numbers between what the truck shows at the end of a trip and what shows up in the FrodPass trip log. What is the most accurate way to determine our efficiency? If I believe my logs, I'm averaging around 3.0 m/kW on my daily commute (which is 27.5 miles each way, 300ft elevation drop between home and work, 65/35 city/freeway). Lows in the upper 30's, highs in the 60's (70's next week), no preconditioning as I don't have level 2 charging at home yet. The trip log in the car is anywhere from +/- 0.2 to 0.4 off from the logs.

Should I start noting the % at start/stop and compute it that way? How much error does that introduce since it's either rounding or truncating. Are the logs reliable so long as they start/stop correctly?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
The Fordpass "this trip" log is so intermittent that it is useless to me, more than half the time it fails to transmit the drive session to FP.

The Sync screen and drivers cluster often show a .1 discrepancy, on rare occasion the rounding factor trips one to make it match the other.

I look at the days Trip 1 log which seems accurate, then reset it each day.

I use Trip 2 log for seasonal performance, probably will reset it when the temps are approaching the packs optimum spring/summer temperature, the cumulative MPK is pretty consistent with my daily driving by the end of the day.

To me efficiency is more about the cost to drive x miles than how many miles I traveled on the computed stored energy of the battery, (though that is important in predicting charging intervals on long roads trips). I use an external device to to gather the total KWH for the week and I log that into a spreadsheet along with elapse miles to compute the true efficiency over the course of the week as well as the true fueling cost of driving. I'm averaging 1.5 MPK and 12.3 cents a mile to operate my Lariat-ER

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does the FCSP report kWh delivered? Or is the consensus it's better to look at third party energy monitoring?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Does the FCSP report kWh delivered? Or is the consensus it's better to look at third party energy monitoring?
The FCSP is much more reliable with reporting total energy consumed, example, yesterdays charge which included one remote start cycle of 15 minutes indicated I consumed 28.069 KWH, while my emporia Vue2 energy monitor indicated 28.3 KWH 0.8% deviation.

The only issue is occasional missed reports, maybe once month, and it only reports after unplugging the truck, the value reported is the sum of energy on the hour it was unplugged.

To see this data, you will go to your Ford Pass Account, select the Connected Charge Station tile on the right lowest option, it will take a couple seconds to load your data from the cloud, then select Insights.

Emporia report for Friday morning
Ford F-150 Lightning What is the most accurate way to compute trip efficiency? 1677918892135

Actual charging occured from 05:00 am to 06:37 am [17+11.3 KWH]
Ford F-150 Lightning What is the most accurate way to compute trip efficiency? 1677919057003

Insights from Connected Charge Station, unplugged at Friday afternoon
Ford F-150 Lightning What is the most accurate way to compute trip efficiency? 1677918939784

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cool, now I just need SunRun to ship it! 😃
Sponsored