• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB??

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
My overpriced Limited wheels ride like a dream. Even with my “rubber band” tires. ;)

Of course you love your 22s and no rubber, why wouldn't you. All these reviewers, they are all f ing lying.

https://www.cars.com/articles/with-7000-miles-on-our-2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-what-do-we-think-437318/

“Other Complaints?
No one seems to enjoy the ride quality when unladen, even with allowances for our F-150 being a pickup truck. The ride even turned one of Managing Editor Joe Bruzek’s family road trips into a bit of a nightmare as the F-150 Limited — with 22-inch wheels — dashed any hopes of kiddo car naps with huge jolts over bumps.“
Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Of course you love your 22s and no rubber, why wouldn't you. All these reviewers, they are all f ing lying.

https://www.cars.com/articles/with-7000-miles-on-our-2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-what-do-we-think-437318/

“Other Complaints?
No one seems to enjoy the ride quality when unladen, even with allowances for our F-150 being a pickup truck. The ride even turned one of Managing Editor Joe Bruzek’s family road trips into a bit of a nightmare as the F-150 Limited — with 22-inch wheels — dashed any hopes of kiddo car naps with huge jolts over bumps.“
Wow, that must have been terrible for Joe and his kiddos. I can’t imagine the nightmare. Guess my kids will have to sleep in their beds.

ptr0687

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I have 18s on mine and I love it. I don't care what other people think. I ordered what I wanted and she drives/rides like a freaking dream.

Ford F-150 Lightning Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB?? 03D8322A-0B48-49FF-851A-1AB51944190E

OP
OP
guppydriver

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Now I'm really tripping.

The sport 18's (which of course I can't get with AM blue) have the illusion of seeming bigger than the chrome wheels. Whenever I see a pic of a Lariat with the chrome 18's, the rears in particular just seem awkwardly tiny. Like I said in my OP, I can't tell if they look overly small because they are, or because I've looked at 43 million pics of trucks with 20's lol.

Sponsored

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I ordered a 302a max tow sport with 18’s after having a 2016 with 20’s. I wanted the 18’s for better ride, mpg and I liked the looks of the sport 18’s A little better than the sport 20’s. this was over a year ago and trucks were coming out slow with shortages on new parts. (At least it seemed slow but compared to this summer it was fast)

dealer got a very similar stock build on the lot but it had the 20’s. I didn’t want to wait any longer so I bought the one with 20’s. after almost 20,000 miles and a year I can tell you I have no regrets. The ride is way better than my 2016. Every once in a while I see someone on here complaining about how harsh the ride is and I think there must be something wrong with their truck. most people who ride with me comment on how quiet and smooth the ride is.

but, I do notice that if there is too much air in the tires and no load in the truck that the ride does get more harsh. (But still way better than the 2016 with 20’s) if I keep it between 35-38 psi it’s good. There were times this summer it would creep over 40psi especially when we were on vacation in the heat and higher elevations of Colorado and Utah. Let some air out and the ride got noticeably better To me.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
I have to get my truck ordered today..

So stuck on whether to get the MTP which requires 20's or the standard tow package that has 18's. It essentially makes the MTP a $2200 option for me. (ugh)

Anyway, during the course of my research, I've seen tons of pics of the Lariat 502a and probably 90% of them have 20's (stock).

I promise I'm usually a utility over looks kind of guy, but after seeing so many pics with 20's, when I run across one with 18's, they almost appear to comically small.

I love that the ride would be better with 18's (although not sure how much tbh). I love that tires would be cheaper. I love that there is less chance of curb rash (multiple drivers in my house). I would love an extra 2g's in my pocket. I like the fact that (I think) the 18's have Michelin (sp) tires.

BUT

I don't want to spend 70 freaking thousand dollars on a truck that kinf of ....well....looks almost silly (or cheap) because of 18's..

Am I being reasonable? I

What do you guys think? Is the ride much better on 18's (whole post refers to stock wheels and tires only). WWYD?

TIA
Aaron
I would stick with the 18's and put a good bigger tire on, and an E rated tire if you're gonna tow.
I worked in wheel testing for a few years, and trust me aftermarket wheels while popular and may "look" cool (opinions vary) ... they are NOT durability tested to the same standards as OEM, because they don't have to be.
That being said, if you have enough tire protection (tire side wall height) it will REALLY help protect the wheel.
for some, it's the wheel that's the "look"... on a 4x4 truck, personally I think it's way more important and a way cooler look with big tires on a smaller rim than larger wheels with a lower profile tire.
just my humble opinion ?

Last edited:

Javashot1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Warehousing
From a looks standpoint - MHO is big rims for cars, big side walls for trucks. That and the chrome 18's are better looking wheels than the chrome 20's. Just my taste but I'm a bit old school..

Poorredman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501a PB Smoked Quartz
FWIW, I switched from stock 18's on my 2018 to 22's from an Expedition and I didn't notice any difference in ride quality on pavement.

My 2021 Lariat PB has the non-sport 18's and I like the look of them, but still thinking about going 20" or 22".

The biggest change in ride quality I've felt is the switch from a long bed crew cab on the 2018 to a short bed crew on the 2021. The shorter wheelbase amplifies bumps significantly more.

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2019 Expedition
No they won't look small. I think they will look just fine.

Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
20 inch summer, 18 inch for the winter. Your choice

Ford F-150 Lightning Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB?? F2FA53F6-A542-4A3E-9646-78D8C37A2A3C

Ford F-150 Lightning Will 18's look too small on my Lariat PB?? 6BFF3E92-D967-41B6-8B73-219A1373907A

krj1053

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lariat F-150
Do you take the defenders in the dirt at all? I know they are a highway tire but I’m curious if anyone takes them off-road at all. I drive a fair number of unmaintained fire roads (Colorado high mountain passes mostly) so nothing too gnarly but definitely a fair amount of steep loose stuff. I drive about 90% highway so don’t need them most of the time but just something that can be competent when getting to a trailhead. I currently have Wrangler Duratracs and they have eaten up everything I’ve thrown at them but honestly feel like overkill.
I have had defenders in two 2WD F-150s and they have always done well on dirt and gravel. Best all around tire that I have personally used. One of the best things about them is their life. My last pair ran 75k miles and I have 50k on my current set and they have a lot of life left.

krj1053

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lariat F-150
I have to get my truck ordered today..

So stuck on whether to get the MTP which requires 20's or the standard tow package that has 18's. It essentially makes the MTP a $2200 option for me. (ugh)

Anyway, during the course of my research, I've seen tons of pics of the Lariat 502a and probably 90% of them have 20's (stock).

I promise I'm usually a utility over looks kind of guy, but after seeing so many pics with 20's, when I run across one with 18's, they almost appear to comically small.

I love that the ride would be better with 18's (although not sure how much tbh). I love that tires would be cheaper. I love that there is less chance of curb rash (multiple drivers in my house). I would love an extra 2g's in my pocket. I like the fact that (I think) the 18's have Michelin (sp) tires.

BUT

I don't want to spend 70 freaking thousand dollars on a truck that kinf of ....well....looks almost silly (or cheap) because of 18's..

Am I being reasonable? I

What do you guys think? Is the ride much better on 18's (whole post refers to stock wheels and tires only). WWYD?

TIA
Aaron
To me it’s all about the ratio of tire to wheel. I prefer the look of 18’s with a little more rubber.

futuretrunks

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda accord ‘18 ford bronco ‘21
Occupation
manager
No. Wheels over 18 inches shouldn’t be on a truck anyway.

bouvier

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW GTI, 2011 Flex
Occupation
retired from HP
I kept the 18" sport wheels. However I wanted the same diameter tire (33") that comes with the 20" wheel. So far I can only find E rated tires in the 275/70-18 size. The weight gain for these tires/rating is way high compared to stock.
Sponsored