• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adding AMP power step to 21 Lariat Super Crew

OP
OP

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
OK, my AMP steps have been having issues. They are intermittent - i.e., will suddenly stop working after car has been running for a while. Unplugging and plugging the OBD controller back in will immediately resolve the issue and they will start working again, for a while.

Went through the troubleshooting guide on Amp's website - changed to a better ground, checked the connections, no effect. Zip tied the Amp controller to the obd port to eliminate possibility that it is shaking loose, no effect. Called Amp and they are unhelpful so far.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the truck cutting power to OBD port randomly?
Sponsored

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
My main problem was that I dropped the center part of the posi-tap connector. Then installed it backwards. One side of the center part of the connector is pointed the other is not. The pointed end must go into the side where the trigger wires are. Find a meter that can read less that 12 volts, then hold it on the side of the posi-tap connector going to the ODB connector. If there is no voltage have someone open a door to activate the trigger wire. If you have voltage move the wire around to see if it is constant voltage. If you do not you may have a poor connection. If everything there is OK then move to the pins on the ODB connector and check there. The only other thing I did is I grounded at the battery. Let me know what you find out. Good luck.

OP
OP

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you ever figure out what was going on with the Amp step boards on your F-150. Looks like you may have some spare parts to try if you didn't.

OP
OP

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Did you ever figure out what was going on with the Amp step boards on your F-150. Looks like you may have some spare parts to try if you didn't.
I did. It was the OBD controller.

P3 Performance was AWESOME, it looked like Amp wouldn't have the replacement controller to send me, so P3 had their distributor send me a whole separate step kit with 2 day shipping. As luck would have it, Amp also came through a few days later.

Sponsored

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did. It was the OBD controller.

P3 Performance was AWESOME, it looked like Amp wouldn't have the replacement controller to send me, so P3 had their distributor send me a whole separate step kit with 2 day shipping. As luck would have it, Amp also came through a few days later.
Good for you, I’ll have to look at p3 on my next purchase.

jcarrico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 502a (on order)
Alright guys. Tapping into the hive mind. Just finished(ish) installing my Amp boards. They deploy if I ground the purple wires. However they do not deploy when the door opens.

Interestingly I do not have a green/blue wire only a green/purple wire. (see below).

Anyone encounter this? Anyone recall the wire locations and if this looks correct?
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding AMP power step to 21 Lariat Super Crew IMG_3990

Aeroturbine

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Alright guys. Tapping into the hive mind. Just finished(ish) installing my Amp boards. They deploy if I ground the purple wires. However they do not deploy when the door opens.

Interestingly I do not have a green/blue wire only a green/purple wire. (see below).

Anyone encounter this? Anyone recall the wire locations and if this looks correct?
IMG_3990.jpg
I had the same issue. The wiring instructions are wrong. The two wires should be next to each other. Try hooking to the green wire next to the white with green stripe wire.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just looking at mine now, I believe your white and blue wires are correct. Just backed up and read my old post. I mentioned in that post that one of the purple wires has a black stripe on it. And t the other purple wire doesn’t. Check and make sure they are right. Then check the posi-tap, remember one end is pointed the other is not.

jcarrico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 502a (on order)
I had the same issue. The wiring instructions are wrong. The two wires should be next to each other. Try hooking to the green wire next to the white with green stripe wire.
You the man! That is exactly what it was. I swapped it over to the solid green wire next to the white/green wire, popped in the fuse and boom.

Guess I will let Amp know they need to update/correct the instructions.

Sponsored

Aeroturbine

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
You the man! That is exactly what it was. I swapped it over to the solid green wire next to the white/green wire, popped in the fuse and boom.

Guess I will let Amp know they need to update/correct the instructions.
Glad I could help. I was pretty upset when mine didn’t work and got in touch with AMP and they already knew the issue.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had to look at mine again, yes mine also uses the solid green also. Good call, I guess I didn't get my head up in there far enough the first time. Glad to see you up and running.

F1Fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-150
OK I installed the AMP ‘XTREME’ power steps today. They seem to be back ordered at most places, but P3 Performance Products had one in stock for me, shipped it quickly and it arrived within 3 days.

Install is pretty straightforward, except a few minor areas to watch for:

1. Unlike previous year models, the 2021s require you to splice two wires into the factory canbus (previous year was OBD only no splicing was required). The difficulty is locating the darn wires to splice! There are about half dozen connectors in the driver’s footwell and they all have the blue/green and white/green wires that are referenced in the instructions. After trying two connectors and not working, I finally got the right wires in the third connector - it is one of two that plugs right into the ECU tucked near where the brake pedal exits the firewall - see pic below.
  2. You need 2 posi-tap connectors to splice into factory wires (see pic below) and they were missing in the package. I had a bunch in my garage so that saved me having to find them at a local store.
  3. The passenger side motor makes contact with the hoses/pipes that are routed adjacent to the frame In that area - see pic below. Not a big deal, I disconnected one mounting screw that held the hoses on the frame and just pushed the hoses up, but they do make contact with the motor FYI.

Anyway, the steps tuck in very nice and make the truck look so much better/taller. The steps are also lower than factory running boards when deployed which my old parents will appreciate.

Highly recommend P3 Performance Products, they had a great price on these and had them in stock, shipped it fast.

3A57CC92-91DD-41E9-BAB6-CEB7FEF11761.jpeg

0783DA17-240A-4A93-930C-8057FD676697.jpeg

CFA8FF9C-EF80-4A0B-BB8D-034AF6F59BE3.jpeg

F93A5C5B-199A-422D-A486-CE9F732A27B6.jpeg

F41A4044-C50F-47CF-82C2-7CD73E70BBF9.jpeg
Thanks for the info! After time have you looked if there is any wear on the lines from rubbing on the motor? That would be my only concern

F1Fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-150
OK I installed the AMP ‘XTREME’ power steps today. They seem to be back ordered at most places, but P3 Performance Products had one in stock for me, shipped it quickly and it arrived within 3 days.

Install is pretty straightforward, except a few minor areas to watch for:

1. Unlike previous year models, the 2021s require you to splice two wires into the factory canbus (previous year was OBD only no splicing was required). The difficulty is locating the darn wires to splice! There are about half dozen connectors in the driver’s footwell and they all have the blue/green and white/green wires that are referenced in the instructions. After trying two connectors and not working, I finally got the right wires in the third connector - it is one of two that plugs right into the ECU tucked near where the brake pedal exits the firewall - see pic below.
  2. You need 2 posi-tap connectors to splice into factory wires (see pic below) and they were missing in the package. I had a bunch in my garage so that saved me having to find them at a local store.
  3. The passenger side motor makes contact with the hoses/pipes that are routed adjacent to the frame In that area - see pic below. Not a big deal, I disconnected one mounting screw that held the hoses on the frame and just pushed the hoses up, but they do make contact with the motor FYI.

Anyway, the steps tuck in very nice and make the truck look so much better/taller. The steps are also lower than factory running boards when deployed which my old parents will appreciate.

Highly recommend P3 Performance Products, they had a great price on these and had them in stock, shipped it fast.

3A57CC92-91DD-41E9-BAB6-CEB7FEF11761.jpeg

0783DA17-240A-4A93-930C-8057FD676697.jpeg

CFA8FF9C-EF80-4A0B-BB8D-034AF6F59BE3.jpeg

F93A5C5B-199A-422D-A486-CE9F732A27B6.jpeg

F41A4044-C50F-47CF-82C2-7CD73E70BBF9.jpeg
Sorry all the questions, it came up in another forum the motor might be able to be re-positioned to allow clearance. did you or anyone with powerboost try that?

OP
OP

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Sorry all the questions, it came up in another forum the motor might be able to be re-positioned to allow clearance. did you or anyone with powerboost try that?
No I have not tried that, why would I? My setup is working fine. If I remember correctly, that gentlemen drilled new holes in the step motor and patched old mounting holes etc. Too much work, though that is probably a more complete install if you didn't want to just push the coolant lines up a few inches. The lines you are pushing up are metal lines so I am not worried about wear. The step motor itself does not move up and down so there is no rubbing on the lines.
Sponsored