• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2022 MISSING FEATURES: Ambient Lighting & Differences In DEATC between 2021 and 2022 F-150s?

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I don't consider these things as co$t savings decisions nearly as much as chip savings and/or component-procurement solutions during supply chain chaos.

I could be giving mercy where it's uncalled for, but I'm just glad Ford isn't removing things like heated seats, like their competitors are.
Not sure I agree. And if it is I definitely don't agree with the way they're going about it.
Can Ford not go online and order LED license plate lights like the rest of us can and some already have?
To change the lighting in the truck they had to change the wiring harness with a little bit of research and information that's out there on the subject so far it seems that the plugs aren't even there for the lights that have been omitted. Wouldn't it be easier instead of retraining everybody and redoing thousands and thousands of wiring Looms which now they're going to have to keep two different ones in stock at dealerships instead of one. Just put everything together unfinished and contact the customer when the supply chain gets back together and have these items plugged in, installed, whatever. Instead of just without notice changing our trucks.
When we place the orders for our trucks we were told we would have certain items and without our approval and without even telling anybody things have been deleted. If you really want to stretch it this is basically bait-and-switch. Which is typically illegal if nothing else it's underhanded.

Darrell
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Your example is even more evidence that Ford is making decisions that they might not have made in normal circumstances.

It's like buying futures. Ford has to plan out in advance component procurement for literally 100's of thousands of vehicles and have guarantees of just-in-time delivery of portions of the overall agreement. If they have supply chain issues with one supplier, especially one that includes a chip, then they can't risk stopping the assembly line for a component regardless of how inexpensive it is.

I read an article this morning where the CEO described the assembly line as:

"Farley told investors earlier this year “We have the most complicated go-to-market system I think on planet Earth."

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
After reading all of the replies here and watching a few YouTube videos of all of the items removed for the 2022 model year I think the one that is going to irritate me the most is the fact that now the infotainment screen has a smaller usable area due to the addition of the HVAC system data at the top of the screen.
So you could theoretically add a smaller infotainment screen to the list of changes.
I definitely don't like the fact that I ordered 21 that was changed to a 22 and I'm receiving less than what I was promised and not being compensated.
I think Ford is just being extremely cheap trying to save $10 on a $60,000 truck. Extremely irritated with Ford. None of this is a deal-breaker but still it is going backwards not forwards. With the full-size truck market being so incredibly competitive to start removing some very inexpensive and simple but functional features is asinine.

EDIT: the following is a correction to my comment above basically me not doing research before opening my big mouth. I had commented about infotainment screen being smaller in the 22 I looked at some YouTube videos and that upper area that now has information on HVAC temperature had already been used by other features and not available when using other functions on the screen.

Darrell
If you had a 2021 that never got scheduled, most people got a PCO to cancel and make a 2022 order. For me saving $3500 makes up for a few missing items.

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch, 601A, PB, 4x2, AMB/SG
Occupation
Retired
If you had a 2021 that never got scheduled, most people got a PCO to cancel and make a 2022 order. For me saving $3500 makes up for a few missing items.
I agree, but would characterize it as convert a 2021 order to 2022 rather than cancel a 2021 order and make a 2022 order - semantics, I guess.

Concerning the price increase effective Dec 27, I received this response when I questioned my dealer if I had price protection on my 2021 King Ranch order from Sep 16 converted to 2022 on Oct 1. I have the VIN and build day of Jan 27, but no window sticker:

"Hey Ralph…keep in mind that memo states it will be automatic, BUT we have no control how or what price level we are invoiced from Ford…once your vehicle is invoiced to us by Ford, we will provide you a copy and take our % off discount that #…"

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I’m already feeling good about ordering before the Christmas hike, very sure the forum dealer I ordered from will honor the signed invoice as

Ambient cupholder and glove box lighting changes with incandescent license plate light retro is Ford rubbing pennies together quickly trying to make a quick buck.

Removing the LCD knobs “could” definitely be chip related, I would not want my truck delayed weeks or months because a microchip to tell me the temp is unavailable… so I’m not as annoyed by that one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I’m already feeling good about ordering before the Christmas hike, very sure the forum dealer I ordered from will honor the signed invoice as

Ambient cupholder and glove box lighting changes with incandescent license plate light retro is Ford rubbing pennies together quickly trying to make a quick buck.

Removing the LCD knobs “could” definitely be chip related, I would not want my truck delayed weeks or months because a microchip to tell me the temp is unavailable… so I’m not as annoyed by that one.
Ford changes are somewhat annoying. The 2015 Lariat had ambient lighting that you could change to different colours and brightness. Got an 18 Lariat and that disappeared. The 18 had backseat headrests that would tilt forward parallel to the seats. Now my 21 has the headrests that only adjust up and down. Since it would be a very rare occasion to have anyone in the back seats, those headrests are out of the truck. Much cleaner view out if the back window without the headrests. Likely just penny pinching, or saving a nickel here in Canada . Now there are these 22 changes.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
On a different note, I’d like to add in cup holder and glove box lighting myself later. Is it easy to do it with aftermarket kits?

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
On a different note, I’d like to add in cup holder and glove box lighting myself later. Is it easy to do it with aftermarket kits?
If it’s anything like the people that add for Super Duty’s, it won’t be “hard” just time consuming.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I ain't buying it. The same company that added all the amazing technology to bring us the Powerboost and 7.2KW ProPower Onboard, for a small upcharge that I can hardly believe considering, decided to remove cupholder lighting because they could make a few dollars more on a $75,000 truck?

There's more to the story. There must be.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I ain't buying it...decided to remove cupholder lighting because they could make a few dollars more on a $75,000 truck?

There's more to the story. There must be.

There's huge inflation and somehow they're only increasing prices a token amount.

From various sources, they are making enough money to eat some of the increased costs but they recently started paying dividends again after suspending them when shit was looking bad.

Shaving features they thought nobody would notice can save tens of millions of dollars at their end and make the difference between having to sell a $75,000 truck and a $90,000 truck.

While a few people might notice things like light up cupholders and LED license plate lamps, everyone would notice a 20% price hike.

Sponsored

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150

BoxLink and Bed Lighting losses are a bigger deal, IMO.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/🛻-f-150-lariat-lounge-🪢.1339/post-141235

Mike G-Man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 1969 Mustang 428CJ
Occupation
Fed
If I ordered the tailgate step, which triggered the power lift gate, will it automatically add the bed package (and bed lighting)? Posts in the other forum suggest the step and power tailgate have to be ordered with the bed package, but my dealer didn't;t ask me if I wanted that. I asked for the step/power lift and they selected them on the build.

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
If I ordered the tailgate step, which triggered the power lift gate, will it automatically add the bed package (and bed lighting)? Posts in the other forum suggest the step and power tailgate have to be ordered with the bed package, but my dealer didn't;t ask me if I wanted that. I asked for the step/power lift and they selected them on the build.
For ‘22 F-150s, per the 11/3 Order Guide, the optional Bed Utility package (68L) includes power tailgate, tailgate step, tailgate work surface, BoxLink, and the LED Bed lighting. I believe the Bed Utility package is the only way you can order the power tailgate / tailgate step.

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I hate to say it, but it would appear so.
Write complaint letters. A software fix could adjust how the screen displays various items.
Sponsored