Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Don't know of an EV that doesn't have the 12V battery so there's probably a good reason they all chose that solution.
From what I understand, there’s still a lot of tech that relies on it when the vehicle is not running. It’s even used the same as a car when you turn on “accessory mode”, and just play the radio. Eventually the 12 volt gets drained that way.

But… You’d think that since there are about a dozen AC power plugs and USB ports that can run 24/7, and you can run your entire house for 3-10 days from the main battery, they would figure out a simple way to tap into those circuits to run the 12 volt features.

As far as I know, Tesla doesn’t have 120 volt outlets like that on any of their models, so I‘d think they switch to 12 volts when its not “running” too.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Don't know of an EV that doesn't have the 12V battery so there's probably a good reason they all chose that solution.
The 12V battery, besides running all of the usual auto system, operates the contactor that engages the high voltage battery. Mich much safer to run everything you can on low voltage and to disconnect the high voltage battery when not in use.

Reactions: GDN

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
The 12V battery, besides running all of the usual auto system, operates the contactor that engages the high voltage battery. Mich much safer to run everything you can on low voltage and to disconnect the high voltage battery when not in use.
I understand the basic concept. The low voltage system is always on, and it turns the hight voltage system off when it's not needed.

What boggles my mind is that the F-150's power delivery for tools, and even your home, is far beyond what any EV prior to this has offered, and it can literally run your tools and your house for over a week straight.

You'd think that to make that happen, they must have a new mode somewhere between sleep mode and driving in such a way that it could power a few low voltage tasks.

In fact, with such a system, it should be able to re-charge the low voltage system dynamically so even if it runs all those features on the 12 volt battery, it could re-engage the larger battery when it needs a charge, by waking the large battery for a few minutes to run the charger.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I understand the basic concept. The low voltage system is always on, and it turns the hight voltage system off when it's not needed.

What boggles my mind is that the F-150's power delivery for tools, and even your home, is far beyond what any EV prior to this has offered, and it can literally run your tools and your house for over a week straight.

You'd think that to make that happen, they must have a new mode somewhere between sleep mode and driving in such a way that it could power a few low voltage tasks.

In fact, with such a system, it should be able to re-charge the low voltage system dynamically so even if it runs all those features on the 12 volt battery, it could re-engage the larger battery when it needs a charge, by waking the large battery for a few minutes to run the charger.
The Mach-e already does that, at least in theory. I'd the high voltage battery is above 15 percent state of charge, or the cat is plugged into 240V it will wake as needed to keep the 12V battery charged. Some early delivery folks are still seeing some software glitches though and ending up with dead 12V batteries. Ford has done 1 software update already.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
The Mach-e already does that, at least in theory. I'd the high voltage battery is above 15 percent state of charge, or the cat is plugged into 240V it will wake as needed to keep the 12V battery charged. Some early delivery folks are still seeing some software glitches though and ending up with dead 12V batteries. Ford has done 1 software update already.
I love getting new software updates. Other than the stuff that shows up on the 15" screen, it's hard to notice some of the "under the hood stuff" that they roll out. One of the big changes for me was how it handles charging with a higher amp charger. When I first got my ChargePoint Flex, I had to lower the Amp setting or the fans in the car would spin at full speed. You could hear it from a block away... SUPER LOUD.

The Mach-e gave them a great opportunity to really tweak their EV platform so that the F-150 will hit the streets with a running start and fewer quirks.

In this particular case, I think they should be able to spare a bit of power to save the dash cam footage to a USB drive while driving.

I think dash cams should be standard equipment these days for insurance and law enforcement purposes. Full scale Sentry Mode while parked is nice too, but not as important.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If sentry mode actually stopped people from vandalizing it would be an awesome feature.
I'd bet it helps since it flashes lights and screen lights up with a big eye when someone comes close (10ft) to the car. It can be fun now that they let you look through the cams when the car is parked. You can be 1,000 miles away and see what's going on around the car.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I'd bet it helps since it flashes lights and screen lights up with a big eye when someone comes close (10ft) to the car. It can be fun now that they let you look through the cams when the car is parked. You can be 1,000 miles away and see what's going on around the car.
As many Teslas that have been vandalized, I doubt it. Some people love doing it on purpose. Besides, I dont think the F-150 or any trucks have that much hate in the community. Not saying I wouldn't want video recording capabilities but it's not a showstopper IMO.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
As many Teslas that have been vandalized, I doubt it
Might be more urban legend. Teslas do seem to piss off the lifted pickup crowd but that's usually road rage vs. keying the car. Don't think the insurance companies are seeing it.
Sponsored