Sponsored

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
Good question, by law you need to have a front license plate.

Why Tesla owners risk breaking NJ law | NJ Spotlight News

Nope that was dealers prep job. I can't see spending $2-5k for something that can be washed off if you take it to the car wash.

Okay, I wasn't sure that's why I put "maybe" in the title.

I did not find the tire warranty needed (for me), they took mine down to $450 but I still declined to get that.
I apologize for coming across rude. I just did not want your dealer to be telling you something that was not true.

I have a Tesla Model X plated in MA (long story). I can attest to the fact that the cops will ticket you in a state that requires a front plate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited
Holman…Just saw it in the pics! AMB looks amazing!

Congratulations! Best of luck with it! What dealership?

OP
OP
Carminus

Carminus

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Ford does give you a front license plate bracket.

@Hamtech no worries I didn't take it as being rude!

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Ford does give you a front license plate bracket.

@Hamtech no worries I didn't take it as being rude!
We have been driving a few years with no front license plate on any of our EVs. Been through NY,NJ, MA and no issues really.

Is it illegal? Yes. Does the car look better for it? Yes.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
We have been driving a few years with no front license plate on any of our EVs. Been through NY,NJ, MA and no issues really.

I have received two tickets in MA with no front plate. One in the Great Barington, MA and one one Westfield.

Both times I was not violating any other traffic laws. The Great Barrington ticket was issued while lawfully parked.

I tried to challenge the GB ticket and even took a day off work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

You've been lucky... really lucky
(fellow Capital Region Resident)

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
For those in NJ, any thoughts on the no inspection sticker? NJ doesn’t require inspection for EVs and no sticker was issued for the truck. Given how much this looks like a ICE F-150 from a distance, should we be expected to be frequently pulled over for a missing inspection sticker?

OP
OP
Carminus

Carminus

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
For those in NJ, any thoughts on the no inspection sticker? NJ doesn’t require inspection for EVs and no sticker was issued for the truck. Given how much this looks like a ICE F-150 from a distance, should we be expected to be frequently pulled over for a missing inspection sticker?
Keep this on you (attachment).

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Delivered (maybe first in NJ) - Updated With AMB Photos Galore Screenshot_20220604-125019_Edge

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yes. But the state is familiar with the EV law by now, they jus may not be familiar that your F150L is an EV. Pop the frunk and show them there's no engine and it's an EV.

When I first got my Teslas I was stopped all the time for no inspection sticker. I had to keep that sheet that explained no inspection is needed. Some tried to write me a ticket anyway. I stopped getting pulled over for that sometime around 2017-2018 as they became more familiar and haven't gotten so much as a 2nd look since.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Where have you been getting unlucky? The 787?
Northway primarily between the mohawk river and tollway exit. Always a cop somewhere between rt 7 and colonie ctr. Then there is the infamous speed trap where the northway goes to 45mph by crossgates exit

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
I am NJ too. I have a dealer fee, anyone in NJ without one? I'll switch. Lariat QuartzBlue 5/30 build day. NJ has no tax on EV. They use to have 5k for EVs under 50k. No more.

OP
OP
Carminus

Carminus

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
I am NJ too. I have a dealer fee, anyone in NJ without one? I'll switch. Lariat QuartzBlue 5/30 build day. NJ has no tax on EV. They use to have 5k for EVs under 50k. No more.
They will give you some money towards the ev charger install. I think it was $250 or something like that. PSEG will give you up to $1500 but you have to use certain chargers.

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
They will give you some money towards the ev charger install. I think it was $250 or something like that. PSEG will give you up to $1500 but you have to use certain chargers.
You're right. In fact, PSEG will give you 1500 for EACH charger. I am having that happen now-one for the F150 and one for my Tesla. I forgot that. Gotta get it inspected!

Bradleyp

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Acura Tlx, Tundra, Harleys, Ducati ss
Occupation
Cyber security
I love this truck...I am in it now learning and of course setting radio favorites.

I forgot to add mine had 70ish miles on it.

Pictures!

Updated with Q&A from members:

Good question, by law you need to have a front license plate.

Why Tesla owners risk breaking NJ law | NJ Spotlight News

Update: Ford does give you a front license plate bracket.

Nope that was dealers prep job. I can't see spending $2-5k for something that can be washed off if you take it to the car wash.

Okay, I wasn't sure that's why I put "maybe" in the title.

I did not find the tire warranty needed (for me), they took mine down to $450 but I still declined to get that.
Nice! I have a reservation with Holman too, probably 2024.
I am seeing all the new Electric cars now in the area (Lucid Air, Audi GT, Taycan, Rivians and the rest of them. I guess I’ll be seeing you on the road too.
Sponsored