"Weight Limit" Alert with a double chime

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I've occasionally been hearing a random double chime with no apparent alert. It happens much more frequently when I'm towing my flatbed bumper pull trailer. It is still erratic but rather annoying. Is anyone else getting this alert or getting a double chime but not seeing any alert? My 2022 XLT SR has the onboard scales.

The truck has not been overloaded any of the times I've received this alert. I have had a couple of times where I've been over the maximum GVWR but never got this message. My last software update was September 8th with the 3.5.2 OTA update.

Finally this Saturday I was able to see the alert. I haven't been able to get a picture of it because it displays very briefly somewhere between a half a second to two seconds of duration. I am seeing it display "Weight Limit" on the 12" screen adjacent to the clock.
Ford F-150 Lightning "Weight Limit" Alert with a double chime 1668401954379

I've searched the owner's manual and this forum and there is no indication of a "Weight Limit" alert. It is pretty frustrating that the vehicle can give an alert like this and not have it covered in the owners manual.

I have not yet contacted my dealer but plan on doing so this week to have them look into it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for posting. I have been getting the double chime since my first SW update in Mid Aug. but have not noticed any warnings. I'll keep an eye out for this area.

My warning usually happens in the first 1/4 mile of driving after the truck has been charging at home for 3 or more hours. I'd say it happens 50% of the time.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for posting. I have been getting the double chime since my first SW update in Mid Aug. but have not noticed any warnings. I'll keep an eye out for this area.

My warning usually happens in the first 1/4 mile of driving after the truck has been charging at home for 3 or more hours. I'd say it happens 50% of the time.
The "Weight Limit" display on the screen is not consistent with how long it displays. Once I figured out what it was displaying there were times where I would look at the screen upon hearing the double chime and the message was only displayed for a fraction of a second. I think the longest I've seen it displayed was two seconds.

It seems to happen more during stop and go driving.

This past Saturday I had fully charged the truck. Hooked up my 18' flatbed trailer and took off. I got the first double chime within a couple of hundred yards. It repeated within about a half a mile. Then nothing for the next 11 miles of highway driving. After I turned off the main highway and was driving on the county roads then I got several of them.

After I got back home and disconnected the trailer I haven't had one since.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
The "Weight Limit" display on the screen is not consistent with how long it displays. Once I figured out what it was displaying there were times where I would look at the screen upon hearing the double chime and the message was only displayed for a fraction of a second. I think the longest I've seen it displayed was two seconds.

It seems to happen more during stop and go driving.

This past Saturday I had fully charged the truck. Hooked up my 18' flatbed trailer and took off. I got the first double chime within a couple of hundred yards. It repeated within about a half a mile. Then nothing for the next 11 miles of highway driving. After I turned off the main highway and was driving on the county roads then I got several of them.

After I got back home and disconnected the trailer I haven't had one since.

I just started getting these warnings yesterday when towing my boat, which never happened last year when towing the same boat.

Like you, the warning comes up, with the audible double ding, then goes away. No other information is provided.

and my boat is way under the weight limit

🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just started getting these warnings yesterday when towing my boat, which never happened last year when towing the same boat.

Like you, the warning comes up, with the audible double ding, then goes away. No other information is provided.

and my boat is way under the weight limit

🤷‍♂️
I haven’t towed my big trailer for several months. I’ve only seen the “weight limit” alert when towing the trailer. It does have trailer brakes.
I occasionally hear the double chime when just driving but have never seen a corresponding message.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
The funny thing about weight limits is that onboard scales were optional, then the feature was removed on trucks built after last September, yet knowing the weight of the vehicle is an important part of calculating range, so it makes me wonder if the scale hardware is actually built-in regardless of whether your trim level includes the option to view that data.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The funny thing about weight limits is that onboard scales were optional, then the feature was removed on trucks built after last September, yet knowing the weight of the vehicle is an important part of calculating range, so it makes me wonder if the scale hardware is actually built-in regardless of whether your trim level includes the option to view that data.
I don’t think the “weight limit” alert has anything to do with the onboard scales. I have the onboard scales and I’ve had it over the maximum several times and that doesn’t trigger the alert. It seems to be related to connecting a trailer. Maybe it has to do with the trailer brake controller.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I don’t think the “weight limit” alert has anything to do with the onboard scales. I have the onboard scales and I’ve had it over the maximum several times and that doesn’t trigger the alert. It seems to be related to connecting a trailer. Maybe it has to do with the trailer brake controller.
Maybe the hitch weight. I think you get that along with the scales

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I have seen this warning twice. I do not have scales on my truck. Two different trailers both unloaded (2k trailer weight unloaded). Interestingly both at exactly the same spot in the road right before going under a bridge on the interstate. Makes me wonder if there is a location based aspect to it.

Given my circumstance (empty trailer) it wasn't much of a concern. I've never seen the warning fully loaded.
Sponsored