Sponsored

Detroit Free Press Summary of Consumer Reports Article on Cost of ICE vs. Hybrid vs. EV

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

VictorM

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Seems to largely depend on your state, but the Ford Lightning EV costs less to run than the F-150 Hybrid and the F-150 ICE vehicle (no surprise). CR ought to have a chart of how many miles you'd have to drive to recover the difference in purchase cost depending on the model!

Consumer Reports finds surprises comparing fuel costs for EVs, hybrids (freep.com)
Well - When I bought my Lightning, a similarly equipped Hybrid (only way to get the larger Pro-Power system) was about $3k less expensive (~$80k vs. ~$77k), but I also got $8k back between federal and state incentives, so 0 miles I guess!

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I paid less for my Lightning than a similarly equipped hybrid or ICE F150, so I started day 1 with cost savings.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my Ford dealer told me just yesterday that the 'average' mid-level trim F150 GAS truck is about $70,000 MSRP... and, of course, no tax credits.

Now, even comparing the starting PRICE of a vehicle, which can also be subject to 'equal' comparisons, is still difficult, since you aren't really on 'equal' footing...

but, having said that, if you were to take two F150 trucks, one electric, and one gas, and submit that the 'gas' version is $5,000 'cheaper', from the get-go... you will still have some subjective questions about HOW to compare the operations of these vehicles:

for instance:

A) Yes, WHERE you live and get your 'at home' daily charging power is CERTAINLY going to play into your comparisons. There are FEW situations where your power costs, and MY power costs, are the 'same', even sometimes in the same neighborhood: My neighbors, just two doors down the street, are on a DIFFERENT Utility company. They do NOT enjoy the ability to have a 'OVERNIGHT EV CHarging' rate plan. They pay the 'standard residential' rate 24/7... which can be as much as 5 TIMES as much as my overnight rate.
They certainly will NOT have the same 'return on investment' or 'comparison' outcomes to a gas vehicle.

B) The 'Maintenance' value of the electric vehicle is PARAMOUNT. There is no 'comparison' to the costs that gas and diesel, and even HYBRIDS, have to endure. And, it's not only the price for oil changes, and the like, but the TIME required to have these things done. We don't have to do any of that. Yes, we may have to 'sit' at DC Fast Charging while traveling, much longer than those who have to stop for gas or diesel, but we also DON'T have to schedule, or plan a stop, or take our time with the maintenance requirements.
I will admit that the upfront investment cost of electrical outlets, connectors, and equipment can add to our 'averages', over the long term, but those are short-term costs that quickly get absorbed into our per mile averages. Some of us will enjoy very EASY access to 240v 'at home' power options, while others might struggle to find the best way, or least expensive way, to accomplish the same.

C) We electric vehicles don't have to deal with the ups and downs of pricing, and searching, for gas or diesel. We can have our own struggles, at times, yes, with third-party fast charging while traveling, but those are actually relatively FEW and FAR IN-BETWEEN in our everyday life. Gas and diesel, and even Hybrid vehicles, have to CONSTANTLY deal with gas stations, on a regular, every week, basis, not to mention the comparison of 'efficiencies' between electric and gas - some gas vehicles are doing well with the number of miles from a full tank, others may not be so great.

D) while not a 'costs' comparison concern, we electric vehicles, and many hybrids, DO enjoy a 'silent' existence, at least as compared to the engine noise of gas trucks, and CERTAINLY the huge rumble of the turbo diesels... I will never wake up my neighbors, or even my own FAMILY, when departing, or arriving.

E) STORAGE: I would doubt that ANY gas or diesel vehicles have anything NEAR the amount of storage we enjoy with our 'frunks'.

F) DRIVE: I would also doubt that ANY gas or diesel vehicles enjoy the SMOOTH and EASY driving characteristics of our electric trucks, or cars. With our very low center-of-gravity and lack of a transmission, we just GO, smoothly and quickly.

: ) But, none-the-less, this will not convince everyone, and maybe nor should it. There is NOT a 'one-size-fits-all' vehicle, or vehicle power type.
Sponsored

Last edited: