Sponsored

95% of used Lightnings have branded titles, what are the main reasons they were returned under lemon laws?

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
I brought a branded 2022 lightning (Platinum) in February. It had about 4200 miles, and I paid 30k less than sticker. First owner returned it because the light on the tailgate wasn't working and parts weren't readily available. Car was a courtesy buy back at 300 miles and the owner of the dealership drove it for less than a year. I brought it from the dealership and it was in great shape (though I had to figure out the updates as the dealer was clueless why I wasn't getting them and they couldn't get them to work). Called Ford and they walked me through the reset and update prep process (turning off the headlights, etc) and I haven't had any issues since. Dealer manager felt the "few" courtesy buy backs Ford was doing was due to unavailable parts, customers and dealers who couldn't figure out how to use certain functions and assumed there was a fault, as well as range anxiety.

I had a Tesla Model S and was very comfortable with EVs. I have joy in my lightning and have no regrets. Well one, my wife has stopped driving her Audi A7 and snatches my lightning any chance she gets! Love it!
I agree - an amazing ride - however - once you get into time consuming service issues it is a pain in the backside - then once out of warranty the costs become extreme.
Sponsored

Dugornot

First Name
Arendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx 2.7t bl, tbd f150 lightning
I bought a '22 Platinum with a "lemon" title. I love this car, and I've never been a Ford fan! It was lemoned due to Bluecruise issues. The dealer I purchased it from provided the Carfax which detailed the cause of the lemon title. It's been a great car and 100% glad I purchased it. Zero buyer's remorse.
So was Blue cruise repaired?

srvethelord

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Military
Yes it was, before I purchased it. I meant to include that in my post but forgot.

Either way it didn't matter as I don't want my car doing any driving for me. I turn off all those bells and whistles when I drive it. My wife likes them on.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Yes it was, before I purchased it. I meant to include that in my post but forgot.

Either way it didn't matter as I don't want my car doing any driving for me. I turn off all those bells and whistles when I drive it. My wife likes them on.
The bells and whistles can be a dangerous safety menace given how often they fail.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I noticed this as well. I suspect most of the lemon buybacks simply dealers that couldn’t repair things in a timely manner due to lack of parts. Just a guess

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
...... Called Ford and they walked me through the reset and update prep process (turning off the headlights, etc) .....
What is this sorcery you speak of? Likely most of the common man doesn't have a need for it, or maybe it doesn't do anything special, but there is no reason not to share and let many others try it, you know, just to make them feel better about their trucks and getting updates.

srvethelord

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Military
The bells and whistles can be a dangerous safety menace given how often they fail.
I hate them! I don't need it beeping, chirping, or trying to keep me in a lane when I'm changing lanes (Yes, I know it won't do this if I signal first, but usually I just turn off the lane assist feature).

ALyn

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I agree - an amazing ride - however - once you get into time consuming service issues it is a pain in the backside - then once out of warranty the costs become extreme.
Totally Agree!!
Sponsored