Sponsored

Chicago to Gulf of Mexico - Charging reports, charging speeds and costs with EA, Mercedes and Tesla NACS

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
you are a brave man if you did that trip with kids. I just made that exact trip (plus a few hundred miles up to Northeast WI) 3 weeks ago with the 3 young kids. Was never a debate, we weren't taking the Lightning. We took my wife's Pathfinder. Partially do to extra interior space but primarily to save time. The idea of road tripping with kids in the lightning does not appeal to me at all. Would have likely been additional 3+ hours in charging time both ways. No thanks. On the way down we drove straight thru 17 hours with kids sleeping most of the night.... that is not happening with any EV and especially not the Lightning.

I certainly did miss my truck though, that is for sure!

OP
OP
bmw325_num99

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
you are a brave man if you did that trip with kids. I just made that exact trip (plus a few hundred miles up to Northeast WI) 3 weeks ago with the 3 young kids. Was never a debate, we weren't taking the Lightning. We took my wife's Pathfinder. Partially do to extra interior space but primarily to save time. The idea of road tripping with kids in the lightning does not appeal to me at all. Would have likely been additional 3+ hours in charging time both ways. No thanks. On the way down we drove straight thru 17 hours with kids sleeping most of the night.... that is not happening with any EV and especially not the Lightning.

I certainly did miss my truck though, that is for sure!
Yeah, I get why you say that. My kids are amazing on road trips: really the best. They dont seem to mind and may even enjoy the extra, mandated time to stop and walk around. We had fun at the Corvette Factory, Cookout, trying Pucketts again with a live band, etc. That being said, if I 100% had to be somewhere ASAP (family member medical problem, for example), Lightnings are not the way.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The idea of road tripping with kids in the lightning does not appeal to me at all.
You just need to be the cool dad like Clark and plan out all the fun things to see, taste, and experience for the 40 minutes you are charging in each town. 🤷‍♂️

Ford F-150 Lightning Chicago to Gulf of Mexico - Charging reports, charging speeds and costs with EA, Mercedes and Tesla NACS IMG_5111

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Next time using the Magic-Dock, push upward after holding the NACS button for two seconds, the upward movement ~should~ release the adapter as you then pull down.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
You just need to be the cool dad like Clark and plan out all the fun things to see, taste, and experience for the 40 minutes you are charging in each town. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5111.jpeg
Ha... that is an option, but after a long (though mild) winter in Wisconsin my laser focus was getting to the beach ASAP!

OP
OP
bmw325_num99

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Next time using the Magic-Dock, push upward after holding the NACS button for two seconds, the upward movement ~should~ release the adapter as you then pull down.
Thank you, I think that upward part is where I failed.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Looonnng video (skip to the end for the data table) of my trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama.

First thing first. I will watch the entire video of your trip, soon.
I have noticed that you had your cell phone attached to the right of the display. What mount did you use so I can take full advantage of my CarScanner app and OBDII reader, please.

OP
OP
bmw325_num99

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
First thing first. I will watch the entire video of your trip, soon.
I have noticed that you had your cell phone attached to the right of the display. What mount did you use so I can take full advantage of my CarScanner app and OBDII reader, please.
I use two different mounts. The one you saw me using was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G82X5CY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use an RAM Mount for other purposes. Not cheap but its good. I like them both.

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Twist-Lo...words=ram+mounts+x-grip&qid=1712931068&sr=8-4

Ford F-150 Lightning Chicago to Gulf of Mexico - Charging reports, charging speeds and costs with EA, Mercedes and Tesla NACS 1712931050604-5h

Ford F-150 Lightning Chicago to Gulf of Mexico - Charging reports, charging speeds and costs with EA, Mercedes and Tesla NACS 1712931105060-zh

Ford F-150 Lightning Chicago to Gulf of Mexico - Charging reports, charging speeds and costs with EA, Mercedes and Tesla NACS 1712931045646-c
Sponsored