• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thinking about upgrading to ER…

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Having had my SR Pro for two years now (and loving it!), I’m thinking about upgrading to an ER for an improved road tripping experience.

Given the current market/discounts - What’s the lowest people are seeing for a new Extended range? (Any variant, including tax credit etc)
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I got a 2023 XLT ER for $52k before state taxes back in March.

I traded my Pro SR in for an XLT ER. The extra range is comforting, despite me not needing it daily. My favorite upgrades with the new truck are Driver and passenger Seat comfort, ACC/LKA (works with my Comma 3x), heated steering wheel, extra closing cubby above the glovebox, front light bar, and illuminated running boards.

Ford has a $7.5k incentive on only the 23 XLT ER (other trims have significantly smaller discounts).
Qualifies for $7.5k tax rebate
Dealers are offering between $2k and $6k as an additional dealer discount.

The hard part will be tradein on your Pro. I got lucky and was offered $40k for mine.

Others have gotten a Lariat ER for around $58k-$62k.

If you can find an XLT ER, see if it makes sense to you. We love ours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
I got a 2023 XLT ER for $52k before state taxes back in March.

I traded my Pro SR in for an XLT ER. The extra range is comforting, despite me not needing it daily. My favorite upgrades with the new truck are Driver and passenger Seat comfort, ACC/LKA (works with my Comma 3x), heated steering wheel, extra closing cubby above the glovebox, front light bar, and illuminated running boards.

Ford has a $7.5k incentive on only the 23 XLT ER (other trims have significantly smaller discounts).
Qualifies for $7.5k tax rebate
Dealers are offering between $2k and $6k as an additional dealer discount.

The hard part will be tradein on your Pro. I got lucky and was offered $40k for mine.

Others have gotten a Lariat ER for around $58k-$62k.

If you can find an XLT ER, see if it makes sense to you. We love ours.
Super helpful! Yeah, if I could get it for 10-12k more I think the extra range/features would be worth it

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Super helpful! Yeah, if I could get it for 10-12k more I think the extra range/features would be worth it
That was my thought process. It's $20k worth of upgrades over the Pro SR ($5k XLT trim, $10k ER battery, $5k 312a equipment package).

I also secured a lower APR on my financing than when I purchased the Pro. That significantly helped too.

It was just a right price, right time type of thing.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Ford's inventory feature on their website is helpful for finding a specific trim. This will help get get you started:

SLC Inventory

Good luck!

Sponsored

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
If you're willing to travel a little bit....

https://www.dennymenholtford.net/new-inventory/index.htm?model=F-150 Lightning

These guys have been sitting on the lightnings for awhile. Only one they have sold was to me. Honestly, you could easily get them to take another $1,000 or $2,000 off. Also get them to throw in a free mobile charger. They want to get rid of the rest of their EV's and won't be bringing in anymore after they sell the ones on the lot (per the salesman). They were super easy to work with and had little to no "typical" car dealership shenanigans.

These guys are also sitting on tons but offer a much more "typical" car dealership experience. But they aren't moving any.

https://www.kendallfordbozeman.com/new-vehicles/f-150-lightning/

Last edited:

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I don't think that the deals are good enough yet to move into another CCS car that lacks a heat pump. I also just learned that the 2024 Mach-e will have somewhat faster DC charging, so that is probably on the horizon for the Lightning.

I know that we are getting adapters but buying a CCS car in the US right now is sort of like buying a flip phone when the iPhone was being sold. In a few years it is going to seem rather quaint, like ChaDeMo. I don't have a problem with it, I like my SR and have CCS home chargers but I don't think I'd make the investment right now. I think NACS is coming to the Lightning sooner rather than later, it has to.

My wife decided that we were going to take a trip to far NW Washington which is a charger desert, about the last place you would think that a SR would venture. The Electrify America station in Port Angles had one charger down, and both times that I went I took the last remaining slot. I was worried about Forks, which only has Tesla and Rivian fast chargers, but the Tesla station is one of the few in Washington that has a Magic dock. It was my first taste of NACS. There were 8 stalls, the first time I went there were three other cars that charged quickly and left. The other times that I went it was empty.

The charge worked *every* *time*. I liked it so much that I charged when I didn't really have to, it was near the rather decent grocery store so in the AM while my wife was getting ready I'd charge, wash the windshield, run around the truck and finish off by shopping at the rather good grocery store. On the last trip I went a bit above 80% and was able to skip the EA in Port Angeles.

I think the adapter will make your SR much more usable; I'm pretty good at finding unusual places to charge but this was so easy it was almost a disappointment. (Next up - Southern Oregon coast. That should be a challenge!)

Last edited:

jstaple

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Electrician
What happens with $7500 pos rebate if you were to trade in your sr ? Would you get another $7500 rebate on the new one ex ?

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
They will probably nail you pretty good on the trade-in of your SR Pro.

Sponsored

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
I would like more range and would do anything to avoid buying a new GAS tow vehicle. For towing I need at least 200 miles between stops. This is to be able to cross the Texas panhandle which is a charging desert. At 70-80% of battery useable, that would mean at least a 250kwh battery size. That will be my next upgrade. 131-kWh battery is still undersized for my needs.

edit: CATL announced 4/24/24 its newest battery will charge in 30 minutes and give a range of 620 miles!

Last edited:

Byron

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lightning
I would like more range and would do anything to avoid buying a new GAS tow vehicle. For towing I need at least 200 miles between stops. This is to be able to cross the Texas panhandle which is a charging desert. At 70-80% of battery useable, that would mean at least a 250kwh battery size. That will be my next upgrade. 131-kWh battery is still undersized for my needs.
Wait till Ford snaps back on the Ramcharger. That’ll be the ticket for you I think. Fully electric BEV with a range extender for the few times you may need it.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Upgraded from 23 Pro to 23 Lariat ER with $79015 msrp - $7500 fed , $7500 ford cash, $4000 ford private offer, $4200 dealer markdown, $500 state rebate so $55315. They gave $36500 trade in for my Pro, owed $25000 which gave $11500 in equity. Final loan was $46700 after all taxes and fees. 3.9% from ford

Garnetgull145

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ford lightning lariat xr, 2019 Benz Cls 450,
Occupation
Police officer
79500 msrp er lariat. I got out the door at 62k. I got both chargers and 0 buyers remorse. Not concerned about any upgrades That will always be an issue. But for now this is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. This will sound crazy but I prefer it over the 911s I owned.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Wait till Ford snaps back on the Ramcharger. That’ll be the ticket for you I think. Fully electric BEV with a range extender for the few times you may need it.
I have a dream that this is something that can live in the bed when towing, or on the trailer hitch when not, and can somehow use the PPOB inverters to backfeed into the HVB. Maybe our current PPOB inverters are unidirectional, but maybe this is something that can be added in a future model.
Sponsored