Sponsored

Yet another Tonneau cover thread

FreshDaddyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
For those of you that went with the Leer HF650M, I was plotting on it myself.

Amazon says this one doesn’t fit a 2023 Lightning. Are they mistaken?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FMG6Q...U3CFTF9D&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Leer’s own site said they didn’t have anything that fit.

I have enjoyed 2 previous Retrax equipped F150s, but did have frustration with the lost bed space packing for trips. Willing to try something new.
Sponsored

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Which tonneau covers of those listed won't interfere with the tailgate dropping down? By that I mean, if you were to have the tonneau cover in place, can you use the power tailgate without having to interact with (I.e. "push down" or lift on) the tonneau cover?
This LEER HF650M That I have does not require the cover to be adjusted or "touched" at all to operate the tailgate.
Tailgate can open & close perfectly fine with tonneau cover open or closed

That HF650M looks great and I think that is what I will go with. Thank you for posting the pics and your opinions on it. I just need to find a good price on one now. The lowest I could find currently is around $1100 plus tax. The Ford branded version was several hundred more on the Ford accessories site, but only comes out to a little more than the non-branded version if you use a 20% off coupon. I'll keep looking for that good price. If anyone has any specific vendors that give a decent discount for forum members then please let me know.
That is right around what I paid. I ordered from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com and I paid around $1100 with tax - shipped.
I was pleastly surprised that after it arrived (very long shipping time because it was back ordered when I ordered) it was not Leer branded - it was Ford branded as you can see from the photo.

For those of you that went with the Leer HF650M, I was plotting on it myself.

Amazon says this one doesn’t fit a 2023 Lightning. Are they mistaken?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FMG6Q...U3CFTF9D&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Leer’s own site said they didn’t have anything that fit.

I have enjoyed 2 previous Retrax equipped F150s, but did have frustration with the lost bed space packing for trips. Willing to try something new.
Correct that HF650M is LISTED as "Does not fit" the Lightning on:
  • Leer Website
  • Third Party Sellers (RealTruck, AutoAccessoriesGarage, etc)
    Amazon

HOWEVER, IT DOES FIT
It is listed as it doesn't but I purchased mine knowing it "does not fit" and it fits perfectly fine.
The bed of the Lightning is the same as the regular F-150.
I have a photo of it fitting, and another forum member also has photos of it fitting.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
This LEER HF650M That I have does not require the cover to be adjusted or "touched" at all to operate the tailgate.
Tailgate can open & close perfectly fine with tonneau cover open or closed

That is right around what I paid. I ordered from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com and I paid around $1100 with tax - shipped.
I was pleastly surprised that after it arrived (very long shipping time because it was back ordered when I ordered) it was not Leer branded - it was Ford branded as you can see from the photo.

Correct that HF650M is LISTED as "Does not fit" the Lightning on:
  • Leer Website
  • Third Party Sellers (RealTruck, AutoAccessoriesGarage, etc)
    Amazon

HOWEVER, IT DOES FIT
It is listed as it doesn't but I purchased mine knowing it "does not fit" and it fits perfectly fine.
The bed of the Lightning is the same as the regular F-150.
I have a photo of it fitting, and another forum member also has photos of it fitting.
@theUNSTABLE

Ford accessories site has a Ford Branded Leer Hard Tonneau cover on their site that from the pictures looks like a rebranded Leer HF650M. the Ford part number is VNL3Z84501A2A F-150 2022-2023 Leer Group Hard Folding 4 Panel 5.5 Bed Cover | Accessories.Ford.com

I have lots of Pord Pass poits that I would like to use towards this purchase. Would you know if this is the same as the HF650M and it will fit the Lightning. The Ford accessories site says it doesn't fit.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
@theUNSTABLE

Ford accessories site has a Ford Branded Leer Hard Tonneau cover on their site that from the pictures looks like a rebranded Leer HF650M. the Ford part number is VNL3Z84501A2A F-150 2022-2023 Leer Group Hard Folding 4 Panel 5.5 Bed Cover | Accessories.Ford.com

I have lots of Pord Pass poits that I would like to use towards this purchase. Would you know if this is the same as the HF650M and it will fit the Lightning. The Ford accessories site says it doesn't fit.
As was stated, if it fits an F -150 it fits a Lightning. Identical bed.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I ordered the Ford branded Leer VNL3Z84501A42A from a local dealership.’s parts dept. They matched the 15% off the ford accessory site discount and it will be at the dealership next day. They applied my 172,000 ford pass points valued at $860:

Free shipping to dealership with next day delivery. They linked it to my VIN for warranty. With the discount, sales tax and ford points it cost me about $350 out of pocket.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I ordered the Ford branded Leer VNL3Z84501A42A from a local dealership.’s parts dept. They matched the 15% off the ford accessory site discount and it will be at the dealership next day. They applied my 172,000 ford pass points valued at $860:
Is that equal to the Leer HF650M? That is, will it fold and stay next to the cab for the use of entire bed without removal?
Sounds like you got a great deal.
Thanks for the post.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Is that equal to the Leer HF650M? That is, will it fold and stay next to the cab for the use of entire bed without removal?
Thanks for the post.
I believe it’s a HF650MP with. Ford logo so it should fold up the same way. I pick it up either today or tomorrow and I’ll verify.

Ford retail price is $1,359. So with 15% discount it comes out to $1,155 which is about $80 more than the HF650MP internet price delivered But I was able to apply $860 in points.

Last edited:

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Thanks for the post.
@Grumpy2

Got the Ford VNL3Z84501A42A today and installed it. As my fellow Floridian @theUNSTABLE posted, It IS a LEER HF650M with a Ford Logo on it. The front emergency hold down is different and i think its a better design. Everything else is exactly the same. It fit perfectly.

It's heavier than I expected but with the wife's help I got is unboxed and into the bed.

My powered 59 qt 21.06" tall cooler is a tight fit.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NCZF438 I do have a Bedrug Impact Mat on top of the Ford Spray in liner that adds about 1/2" to the floor. If the cooler were 1/8" taller I don't think the cover would close.

Bottom line, I like it and glad I was able to use the Ford Pass Points from a few recent Ford truck purchases to reduce the out of pocket to only $350.

I had a $220 Tyger T3 Soft Tri-Fold Tonneau cover on the truck that I removed. I didn't like looking in the rear view mirror and seeing it flap around when I was on the road. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B94WC2F1/

Last edited:

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
Has anyone tried the "CARMOCAR Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Replacement for 2015-2024 Ford F-150" listed on Amazon for $455.99?

What is attractive is the picture of all those people standing on it and the simple attachment system. I want to be able to stand on my cover and I want to be able to remove it quickly when I want full bed access. 66 lbs seems adequate.

I'm spoiled by my old Avalanche cover. Solid enough to handle my 230+ lbs. (not jumping up and down.) And it was totally waterproof in a storm when a couple years old.

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I think the BAK X4S is the perfect cover for me. It is manual, but is super easy to roll up with one hand. Unlike the tri-folds, it does not cover up your rear window or camera when rolled up. It also does not displace any of the bed space. I have had mine 2 years in the TX sun and heat without any issue. For me security was an issue, and this has as good of security as any others I have seen.

Sponsored

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I in bought the Bison flip back trifold hard cover. I’ll probably install it tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I think of it.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old
I in bought the Bison flip back trifold hard cover. I’ll probably install it tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I think of it.
How did it go and does it block the truck bed camera when fully open?

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How did it go and does it block the truck bed camera when fully open?
It went well. Pretty easy install. Yes, it does block the bed camera.

Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread image

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old
It went well. Pretty easy install. Yes, it does block the bed camera.
Thanks. Looks great. If it didn't block the camera it would be perfect. I use the bed camera as a mirror when I fold the side mirrors in to gain range ... :) Maybe consider posting that on Youtube or Facebook videos.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. Looks great. If it didn't block the camera it would be perfect. I use the bed camera as a mirror when I fold the side mirrors in to gain range ... :) Maybe consider posting that on Youtube or Facebook videos.
I was wondering about folding the mirrors in. Do you find it makes much difference in range?
Sponsored