• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's going to lose me with not showing me state of charge %

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningB514

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Accountant
U want dumb! I plugged a trailer in 2 months ago and it still tells me my range will be reduced on this trip EVERY TIME I start the truck, I just say WOW! to this, there is nothing attached nor plugged in to the trailer connector for TWO MONTHS NOW!
Ok. This happened to me when I first used my travel travel. I fixed it after a day or so. You will need to reset EV Driver History. Go to settings under Vehicle. That should rest your range calculations. The next time you plug in your trailer, I would suggest creating a profile for the trailer. Not sure if that affects it but it’s good to have entered. After that, you should be able to to unplug trailer and the range will adjust instantly. Let me know if that solves the issues.

OP
OP
BeeKind

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I'll express the wider sentiment at my anger. It's not like anger anger, more like a Joe Pesci in Lethal Weapon kind of animated anger. It does annoy me probably more than the next guy, I do get that. But if it's annoying me to this level Ford should take note cause it's probably high on the list bothering other people too. I may be the most ridiculous animated voice, but, I probably represent the sentiments of a lot of people.

I bought an F150 XLT cause I wanted a truck that just worked from the factory. I operated a fleet, I drove a Rivian around, I didn't get a Rivian and they did the update thing actually well.

I'm hyperfocused on things that rob your focus. Limiting availible information and making me go into "ok how many percent is that" mode because you're playing psychological games with range from the year 2016 just isn't acceptable.

This is also compounded by the fact that I was in a stressful work situation where I was living in the back of my truck in high heat and the issues with keeping the AC on throughout the night with all the switching off by default no matter how many times you set it and it still shutting off after 4 hours... it was taxing in an already taxing situation.

There's been a lot of "wow you guys really screwed up this last mile and it was obvious" things on the Lightning. Like why does my truck need to be "on" to run the tail outlets? No one thought of this during R&D? Oh they did and you wanted to release the truck before it was done, got it. Going on the '24s, likely never to be seen on my truck even though it's possible through OTA updates.

Anyways, the ranting aspect that I'm now (ironically, given my name!) feeding into- I expected this truck to be like the Bolts I owned. OEM functionality, none of this beta tester nonsense, it works from the factory and I'm not betting on "oh man my truck in 5 years will be better than it is now!"

Ford is instead trying to compete in places it can't while using me as a beta tester, the thing I specifically didn't want. Beta testers buy Rivians, if I wanted a Rivian I'd have bought a Rivian.

Just, I have very, very, very strong feelings that if it's going to be "work" - it needs to have a robustness, reliable, and functional experience. This is true of any piece of work gear, do you run your data center on iMacs? No? Why not?

This is the same reason people buy F150s instead of Ridgelines (honestly though, those are cool trucks that are underrated!). You can put bling on pavement princessess at the upper trim all you want but there needs to be a core function, from the factory, no fuss, piece of equipment from XLT base, down.

I'm sorry for the rant, I really am but Ford Pro people need to examine basics here.

They won't, I lose in the end, I get that. Just happy to have percent. It'd be nice to have HVAC and tail receptacle operation to be more thought out, but those are at least somewhat niche complaints.

It's really frustrating to me to road trip this truck and toggle through all the screens as I plan while driving. You know, while it demands I jerk the steering wheel :D

Last edited:

Sponsored

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I still don't have the SOC %....purchased the truck in March (2023 Lariat)...it's annoying, but as many others have said, you still have the gauge. OP's post is more about signs and symptoms of an incompetent manufacturer. I won't take lack of % as the smoking gun, but get enough and you start to get concerned. For the record, I love the truck and have little concern about Ford and their EV's...for now

OP
OP
BeeKind

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I still don't have the SOC %....purchased the truck in March (2023 Lariat)...it's annoying, but as many others have said, you still have the gauge. OP's post is more about signs and symptoms of an incompetent manufacturer. I won't take lack of % as the smoking gun, but get enough and you start to get concerned. For the record, I love the truck and have little concern about Ford and their EV's...for now
You raise a valid question, 6 EVs in, not being averse to gas even despite that fact, would I buy the Lightning or the Powerboost, right now, knowing everything?

I'd still get the Lightning. For all the reasons I'm ranting about it's still the best EV truck on the market and that EV part is still saving me a lot of money and makes the truck amazing at it's actual core function, going and stopping, efficiently.

If Chevy didn't go all Avalanche I probably would be looking at a similarly designed Silverado EV (ie, continuity of platform) right now. Though... to my point of ranting and beta testing, Ultium... woa boy.

Holy crap, maybe I need to go in an entirely different direction with my next vehicle.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's going to lose me with not showing me state of charge % 1726322494126-ww

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
I know the SOC% thing isn't really critical but it's just one more irritation, so I get @BeeKind's vibe. The chronic irritation is kind of like that questionable tattoo your child got....always there and it keeps reminding you. :sadface:

I just got 6.5 and my SOC hope was dashed (pun intended) when it wasn't there. OK, I'll wait for 6.8 but every time I turn on the truck it's like this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's going to lose me with not showing me state of charge % splinter

View attachment 89107

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Why can't the trucks be delivered with the most up to date software. It should be part of pdi to plug it in and update the software. Just because a 2022 truck that was delivered 2 years ago was running on software xxxx, does not mean that a new 2024 should start out on the equivalent software and only get updated to current software overtime with ota updates. It is BRAND NEW. It should have UP TO DATE software upon purchase. I don't remember when my 2022 got that update, but I've used the calm screen only a handful of times since then.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
I'm on my 6th EV and my build date is Nov '23. I didn't consider for a second it wouldn't have the SoC update and I likely wouldn't have bought the truck without it. I don't care if people think this is a pet peave but it's a sign of something and it's not one of a truck that should have left the factory without everything having worked.

If it's not Tesla or Rivian I want every single function working from the factory and frankly I don't even tolerate it from the other two (you don't see me driving around a CyberTruck with non-functional parts).

I'm dead serious that this experience, as stupid and trivial as it is, will have a HUGE impact on my next truck buying decision.

Ford is losing major points in stupid areas that are completely their fault and this is one of them. And forget an explanation, right? Like we just accept this?

My fuel gauge should fuel gauge. So done with this OEM garbage. Stop trying to do it differently, do it the same.

Ford chose to hide battery state of charge in really old thinking on EVs and can't go back and correct these things? Anyone who thinks OTAs are good and are buying the Lightning for it should understand there are trucks being sold today without an update from over a year ago.

These aren't cheap trucks and we were sold promises. Not being able to tell my charge level without navigating through to the place you've purposefully hidden it while being unable to patch it out shows a massive, massive, massive competency issue that I'm not sure they can shake off me.

How stupid is this? Over state of charge %? Just got pushed 6.5, still no charge percent.

These trucks are expensive!
6.8 it will come

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ‘23 build)
Why can't the trucks be delivered with the most up to date software. It should be part of pdi to plug it in and update the software. Just because a 2022 truck that was delivered 2 years ago was running on software xxxx, does not mean that a new 2024 should start out on the equivalent software and only get updated to current software overtime with ota updates. It is BRAND NEW. It should have UP TO DATE software upon purchase. I don't remember when my 2022 got that update, but I've used the calm screen only a handful of times since then.
I whole heartedly agree, I bet it’s probably cheaper to manufacture this way….

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
This wasn't the case on older than July of '23 models. Up until that point you could only see % SOC from specific screens, never the default IPC screens. After July '23 Ford rolled out updates to some trucks, over time. My specific "what the actual hell" was (I guess bad on me for assuming) my Oct '23 build date still not having SoC displayed. Truth be told I didn't notice on my test drive.
Still no idea what you're talking about. My 10/22 build always showed SOC.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I whole heartedly agree, I bet it’s probably cheaper to manufacture this way….
They have to put the software on at some point. Why not use the most recent?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.