Sponsored

Regenerative Braking--Does it Engage the Trailer Brake Controller?

strmwzrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
I finished a trip towing a trailer down a 13 mile downhill stretch (a 2600 ft change in elevation) and I used regenerative braking almost the entire time. Does that engage the trailer brake controller? The brake lights comes on so I eventually just turned the gain way down just in case.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
I believe it does, IIRC, the TFL-Truck guys doing the IKE Gauntlet challenge dialed down the brake gain so that they could capitalize the momentum from the trailer to the Lightning chassis to enhance regen energy.

I'd be concerned with a heavy load or improperly balance tongue weight causing control issues with the truck, be ready to grab the manual trailer brake actuator if the trailer starts getting out of hand, ie jackknifing!!

OP
OP
strmwzrd

strmwzrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
I believe it does, IIRC, the TFL-Truck guys doing the IKE Gauntlet challenge dialed down the brake gain so that they could capitalize the momentum from the trailer to the Lightning chassis to enhance regen energy.

I'd be concerned with a heavy load or improperly balance tongue weight causing control issues with the truck, be ready to grab the manual trailer brake actuator if the trailer starts getting out of hand, ie jackknifing!!
In regen mode I'm towing an empty trailer. At least loaded I don't have to worry about locking the wheels as easy. Thanks.
Sponsored